Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My doc just started me on Lyrica (Read 1747 times)
davi_doyle
CH.com Newbie

Oh Jaysus, not again

Wicklow, Ireland
My doc just started me on Lyrica
Sep 28th, 2008 at 3:44pm

I'm a bit apprehensive because I've heard terrible things about the possible side effects. Her plan is to create some kind of blanket of constant pain relief. It wouldn't stop the CH but it might make them easier to deal with. So what I'm asking is, has anyone had a positive response from Lyrica or do I have to go back and tell her to give me something else?
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2008 at 3:45pm by davi_doyle »  

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Re: My doc just started me on Lyrica
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 4:04pm

I was on it for a month, didn't change CH one way or the other. Still get 2-3 each day. After I stopped taking it, no change in intensity. I was on 2x75mg per day.

Hopefully you'll have better success with it!

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 2:12am

Well, As far as making you deal with it easier, my aunt was on it, it would knock her on her ass so hard she would sleep through the night. It wasn't for CH, but she was scared to take it for fear she wouldn't wake up to hear her kids if they needed her, or were doing something they shouldn't be. 

It's used for anxiety, so that may be why he's trying it. It also works on GABA receptors.

For me, it didn't do that. I just became aggressive, but, I'd started to have the same adverse reaction to Neurontin, and they're related to each other... So it's no suprise that I became aggressive on the Lyrica too.

I'd say see how you feel on it. Mind you, it may take a few weeks to kick in, to see any difference.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 12:14pm

Have you tried and failed to have success with the presently used preventive meds?

Lyrica doesn't have a track record with CH and so I'm wary, personally, trying something which is, essentially, an unknown.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Howard L
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Timonium, Maryland
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:01pm

Periodically I take Lyrica(300mg) for my back, and it's worked well while waiting for my next cortisone shot. I've been on it now for 3 weeks and there has been a decline in the intensity and frequency of my attacks. I don't know if this is do to the lyrica or not, however next week I'll be off Lyrica so it'll be interesting to see if my attacks become more severe.  By they way I really haven't had any side effects that I'm aware of.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:02pm by Howard L »  

IP Logged

River
CH.com Newbie

Hope for Tomorrow

Texas
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 3:12pm

My GP did the same thing about 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I thought it was helping, but it was coincidence that I didn't have a headache for a few days.  Now the CHs are back and worse than ever.  Lyrica may help you, worth a try.  I couldn't take it during the day because it made me too sleepy.  My husband takes it for nueropathy and it doesn't make him tired at all.   It just depends on the person.
For me it didn't work.  Next on my list Topamax and accupuncture.  I have to get some relief somehow.  I know you understand!!!

Wishing you better luck with Lyrica than I had,
River

River

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 3:33pm

It did not do any thing for my ch or back pain.  Good luck maybe it will work for you.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Kushka
CH.com Newbie

North Carolina
Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:11pm

My sister was on Lyrica briefly.  It didn't really help her pain and she got really mean and nasty while she was taking it.  At one point she shoved my son for crossing her path and the next day threatened to throw him off a balcony for some unknown offense.  She was also becoming aggressive with her own child.  She is not on it anymore and has returned to her normal self.  If you do choose to try it, make sure the people around you know you are starting a new medication and are aware of possible side effects.  My sister did not realize the extent to which it affected her - if we hadn't spoken to her about it, who knows how far it could have gone.

Carlyn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!