Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prednisolone, wiki and side effects (Read 2481 times)
thefinerev
CH.com Newbie

pain of the mind is worse
than pain of the body

Meadville, MO
Prednisolone, wiki and side effects
Oct 5th, 2008 at 12:49am

I'm on prednisolone and imetrex during my second cycle ever. So far I'm undecided only on 3 days. Anyway I was looking for info on the intertubes and looked at the Wiki for Prednisolone (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) and found under the adverse side effects "May also cause cluster headaches."

Granted this is a Wiki article, but has anyone ever heard of this? Undecided

Mon. 7 . — I visited a young man in St. Thomas’s Hospital, who, in strong pain, was praising God----John Wesley's Journal Sept 7th 1741

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Prednisolone, wiki and side effects
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2008 at 3:06am

Had never heard that one before!! It's been a great transitional drug for me. I use it for the 2 weeks it takes my prevent to kick in.

You haven't mentioned oxygen. It should be your first line abortive medication. It's inexpensive, works fast and has none of the nasty side effects of many other abortives. It requires an oxygen tank, a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM, and a non re breather mask. I can completely abort a headache in as little as 6 minutes, if you haven't tried it yet, it has had such a high rate of success it's really worth a shot.

Good luck with the cycle.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:22pm

Not any more...

Quote:
(cur) (last)  06:17, 6 October 2008 Friedrich K. (Talk | contribs) (4,220 bytes) (→Adverse effects: Deleted: "May also cause cluster headaches." - Source?) (undo)

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:39pm

Thats Crazy, the preds saved me everytime!! Sure it made my nails fall off, and my back hurt, and had me jumping at every thing that moved, and i even think it had something to do with all my quick greying hair. Peice of cake!! I would have given up alot more than that, I HOPE i never have to use it again ever. But if so, Im sure it will at least give me a break, if not kill the beast's cycle in its tracks. But that is just me. Good luck. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

thefinerev
CH.com Newbie

than pain of the body

Meadville, MO
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 11:47am

A. Nice solution wiki's are great that way
B. Yeah I'm on O2 15lpm re breather actually given to me for free from the o2 company who read up on clusters and how bad they can be and just quietly gave me it. I live in rural nowhere so its never been heard of here.
c. Pred seems to at least knock them down, but I am afraid that the cycle is not over and I taper off tomorrow.

Mon. 7 . — I visited a young man in St. Thomas’s Hospital, who, in strong pain, was praising God----John Wesley's Journal Sept 7th 1741

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:57pm

The OTHER thing about steroids....they are most often used as either a cycle stopper...for some a short burst of steroids will abort a cycle....or as a transitional medication....I take them for 2 weeks when my cycle starts while I wait for my preventative medication to take effect. If the steroid doesn't abort your cycle, I'd be wary about staying on it for long periods of time as it is very harsh on the body, many unpleasant short and long term side effects.

If your cycle has settled in and seems like it's going to stay awhile, you may want to consider one of the other alternatives for a prevent. Lithium, verapamil, topomax. Several to read about on the meds board. I've been using lithium, at 1200 mg a day, for many years now, has been a very effective prevent.

Praying your cycle is on its way out!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

thefinerev
CH.com Newbie

than pain of the body

Meadville, MO
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 4:15pm

Today has been different than anyother, I slept through the night mostly small wake ups for 10-15 but just enough to wake not enough to fight back to sleep, 9mg of melatonin seems to work wonders. I woke with 6-7 and could not get to o2 because me house was full of church members (i'm the minister) at 7:30 and charging out in my boxers for Ethl (that's my o2's name) was not an option. I have had a pretty constant 4 all morn that slowly has ramped to a 6 (not quite sharp pain behind eye and pain and burning on my neck near my lump. It wont respond to anything. Nothing I can't handle its just unusual, the weather is setting up where I would normally have a migraine, anyway just wondering if this might be common taper off steroid behavior.

BTW I tried topamax two weeks before this cycle started because of constant migraines (weather with all the hurricanes) did not seem to work for CH. If the pred does not end the cycle should I talk to doc about verpamil?

IP Logged

danaj60
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 10:46pm

Prednisone has been very effective for me.  High doses (40+ mgs) keep the headaches at bay, but should I ween off, the headaches come back.  The side effects are sleeplessness, weight gain, nightmares.  I am now doing occipital nerve stimulation but these can take up to six weeks to work, so I take the prednisone until then.

IP Logged

Judge_Smails
CH.com Junior

|maplewood|USA|New_Jersey
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 11:03am

You should speak to the Dr that prescribed the Prednisone about a preventative med like verapamil or lithium.  Ideally you should start taking your preventative as soon as you start your prednisone cycle - this will give the preventative time to build up in your system.

I've had very good results with verapamil, but it may take you a little trial and error to find the right dosage.

Good luck

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 12:14am

You should mabye show this to the doc.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 9:23am

I had a discussion with Lisa's asthma doctor about several of her drugs saying things like may cause shortness of breath, problems breathing ect. These were asthma drugs that were suppose to make you breath better. I also noticed the same kind of thing with meds for stomach problems and headaches. I was noticing a pattern that what ever the medicine was, the side effects listed were what you were trying to treat. He said when these lists were compiled, if just one person experiences a side effect, it's listed. Everyone is different and you just have to try for yourself.

Charlotte

I almost forgot, my most favorite side effect listed on many drugs is that may cause weight gain then the next line is may cause weight loss. Who knows what it will do!
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008 at 9:25am by cash5542 »  
cash5542  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!