Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need sinus meds-desperately (Read 1768 times)
TRG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Need sinus meds-desperately
Oct 8th, 2008 at 8:44am

My husband (first ch ever) has been out of cycle since July.  Still on topamax 100 mg daily but off verapamil since first of Sept. and has been as good as can be with this stuff.  Problem is he is having bad sinus problems from the ragweed, time of year, etc. Neuro had told us in Sept. sinus meds were not good for ch'ers.  Wondering if anyone out there has taken something over counter or by perscription that has helped w/runny nose, sneezing, stopped up head, etc.  Thanks for any help we can get!

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: Need sinus meds-desperately
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:34am

I would never tell you to do something that your Doctor told you not to.  I however, take Sinus Meds all the time.  It has never hurt me (that I know of ).  Did the Doc give a specific reason that they shouldn't be used by CHers?  Could he have meant that it wasn't " good" for treating CH?

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:28am

In my experience, antihistamines are good, while decongestants are not. Pseudofed and other decongestants mess with the thermostat (in the hypothalamus) and make me run hot, which is already a big problem when I am in cycle. Decongestants also can have a strong rebound effect when they wear off, making congestion worse.

Antihistamines have been used to treat clusters with some success - not as good as the main options, but if a person has bad allergies or if it happens to be effective for the person, its an option to consider.  I'm not sure about interactions with other meds or if your hubby has any medical reason that he shouldn't take antihistamines, but some of us do use them for clusters.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:38am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:53am

Is there some drug interaction issue involved?

Often, your pharmacist is a better source of information on this issue, compared to the doc.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:35am

you asked a similar question July 24th.  In September when the neuro said it was not good, did he say why and did you tell him that the sinus was a current and immediate problem?

Many of us have allergies.  I use benedryl and in the past have used theraflu and theraflu disolving strips. I had my neuro check out the ingredients and he ok'd them for me.  

Everyone is different and if your hubby has specific problems like high or low blood pressure, you should ask a medical professional what would be best.  My brother-in-law has heart problems can only use one cold medication but his dr told him which one he could use.

There is usually at least one medication that can be used, but you should check with the docs or pharmacist if you are this nervous.

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:37am by Charlotte »  

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:18pm

Topical steroids work well for many people, too. Nasonex, Flonase, that kind of thing.

IP Logged

River
CH.com Newbie

Hope for Tomorrow

Texas
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 5:53pm

The concern with  certain medications and allergy medications, ant-histamines is the interacting effect on your BP.    Certain allergy medications especially those with "-D" after the name can potentially raise your blood pressure. Benadryl is usually safe, but discuss with your MD or pharmacist before mixing!  Be cautious.  Just call your pharmacist, they should easily be able to tell you what OTC is safe.  Better to be safe.
River

River

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 12:12pm

4 way nasal spray it actually helps with ch shadows and is a decongestant.  I took Sudafed for years it didnt seem to affect my ch,  it is sold otc but is behind the pharmacy counter so you will have to ask for it and it is know to raise bp,  so either one you need to take caution with.  It would be best if you check with the doctor first if your husband has any other health problems.    Phil

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:34pm

Yep, 4-way is something we use at our house.  It helps A LOT!

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!