Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DHE intramuscular self injections?? (Read 2600 times)
Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
DHE intramuscular self injections??
Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:21pm

In my 20 years of episodic CH I have yet to find a good abortive other than O2. And O2 does sometimes fail me. Imitrex , Maxalt, etc., just don't work. My last several cycles I've taken extra long prednisone and know this can't continue. Migranol too slow.

I'm still not sure I will use it. I finally have the higher flow O2 and it is a hugh improvement. But I need that big gun that I know will work. For me this will not be an everyday thing, just a desparate one.

Your experience will be appreciated.            ,Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Re: DHE intramuscular self injections??
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 8:38pm

Don:

I've had IV DHE therapy to give me a break from my cluster headaches.  I've also used Migranol from time to time.  I have not tried it IM.

I would think it would hurt a lot!  Other than that, it's a vaso-constrictor that is NOT brain specific, so therefore it can really raise your blood pressure.

Weigh the pros and the cons with your doctor.  Perhaps you should try this for the first time at the doctor's office.  Any port in a storm.

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

king of pain
CH.com Newbie

Even those who are pure
at heart...

x1|Lansing|USA|usa|393|104|MI,Michigan
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 1:30am

HI Don, I tried the DHE 45 (IM) about 15 years ago... they worked pretty good at keeping them at bay, but after prolonged use, I must have built up a toxic level and had a reaction... just severe hives, but enough to make me quit... other than that, the injections can take a bit of getting used to...they tend to feel like a charley horse. Good luck friend, Mike

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 2:17am

Thanks Mike,
It's a last resort for me. The triptans don't do it. Luckily I'm keeping it beat down right now with a 25lpm regulator and 60mgs pred but still getting the wakups so the Neuro and I decided that the next K-10 he will call in the Rx for the IM's.  Should still only be the once every few day shot though. Episodic too. I know I need a big gun abort....

Where did you give it to youself? Hip. A Nurse friend says butt is a good place. Wish I didn't want to know. Hey noticed we're not to far away, give Granholm a kiss for me. I think she's pretty.   , Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 9:00am

We use it as a last resort as well.  Maybe 2-3 times a week if one of us is getting pounded.  It will usually give at least 24 hours of relief from CH.  So it really helps to catch up on sleep and get rested.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

clavers
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 9:56am

I have been using DHE IM injections regularly for about five years.  At first they would abort the headache by themselves, but it came to a point where they would not work without adding Oxygen to the mix.  Now if I have a CH, I give myself a shot of about 80% of a CC in the thigh muscle and then breath oxygen for about ten minutes.  That usually gives me relief for at least 24 hours.  The shot is painful on occasion but not as painflul as the CH.  There are no rebound headaches with this method.  I am satisfied that it is the best abortive for me.  I hope that it does not kill me.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:19am

My Doctor now changed this to subcutaneus injections for some reason. During my last appt. he said the next kip-10 to call the office and he would call in the shots, so after I had the "10", had no sleep for 50 hours, so had the wife call them. Had to get the DHE from the Hospital the next day, luckily I got some sleep, so I haven' used any.

It just seems when we are at the worst of this monster everthing goes crazy or is it just me. Don't get me wrong my Dr. is worth his weight in gold, but my stress tolerance is not good at peak cycle. I know I'm ranting.

OK If anyone has done DHE subcutaneus is there a difference??  ,Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

clavers
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:45am

This is Clavers again, yes, I started off doing skin poppers, and that worked for a while, but then it became less effective and I started giving IM injections in the muscle of my thigh.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:20am

Thanks Clavers. I knew from your and the other answers the sub-q didn't sound too good. I gave myself 2 in the thigh this morning and still have not slept. I have better luck with the Migranal for that. Just how could either the sub-q or Migranal be considered to be abortives is beyond me. Maybe a sleep aid.

I'm calling the Doc's shortly but really don't know what he will do. Probably tell me to go to the ER. Sucks. I'd rather stay here with no sleep and suck O2 until I come out of it. I have been keeping fairly well ahead but the occasional buster gets through.

I think because the Doc was at his other office he may have become confused about the IM's. Gonna find out in a few. Of course now I can't take today. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGG.  Thanks again........

Preded out with some wasted DHE 45.              ,Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 4:22pm

Well here I set with my IM syringes and my O2 mask on all because of the loving care of the two wonderful girls at my Neuro's office Marlene & Kara. just never quit those two. Even when I think they have, today I did but I was wrong. I didn't think there was anything they could do until monday but......... God I love those girls.

I had resigned myself to an ER visit sometime in the next 24hrs when I got the call from Marlene saying she tracked down the Doc who gave her the OK to get me the IM's. When I think about it she will tell me "I don't know about that" but next thing I know she does, wish I could hug them both right now. I know I need to tell them.

Had me come to pick up a script for something to help me sleep the other day, I didn't realize it has codeine but the thought is what counts.

OK, sorry, if I have this kind of luck with the shots I'm sleeping tonight! Wishing the same for all,                Don
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2008 at 9:13pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 11:23am

Did an IM injection @ 9:30pm..  I was shadowing quite heavily so got on the O2 and 10 minutes later they were gone. I cried. Still afraid to sleep I layed down @ 10:00 but could still feel the presence, not pain though. The wife & I talked of maybe still an ER trip but decided to find some courage and try to sleep.

9 hours later I woke up, NO O2, no nothing but sleep! SUCCESS!!!!
Giving myself the shot was NOT painful, a little sore after, but I rubbed it a lot (as advised/nurse), must have helped.

Although still not a perfect solution, it does give me hope, and maybe the courage to not beg for the Prednisone and other horrible drugs we use to fight this. So yes I believe I have found a most needed tool.

My sincere thanks to you who have replied, and CH.com,    Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!