Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
second intro? (Read 2152 times)
dionysiusaeropagite
CH.com Junior

May the Peace of the Lord
be with you Always

Columbus, OH
second intro?
Oct 11th, 2008 at 7:54pm

Beloved brothers and sisters in Christ,

I have already made a “pseudo-introduction” in another forum, one seeking, above all, support.  Now that I have more of my senses about me, I decided it is high time I enter a true introduction – one where it belongs.

My name is Joe (but you can call me Joseph, Jose, or Pepe).  I've been diagnosed with CH for more than 5 years now.  Before that, I suffered undiagnosed for three years.  In that time, I had seen every doctor I could find, be it dentist, optometrist, or m.d.  The first m.d. I saw tried to tell me it was a migraine due to my diet.  I changed, and still got the beast.  The dentist thought I needed my wisdom teeth out and a piece of plastic to put in my mouth when I slept.  The optometrist gave me a new prescription and allergy eye drops, neither of which worked.   It wasn't for another two years that I finally got a proper diagnosis.  In the meantime, I spent thousands of dollars. 

I am now on a regiment of prednisone and maxalt.  Sadly, the maxalt is a crap-shoot.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and even if it does, it only reduces the intensity from a 10 to a 1, but the shadow is still there.

I am a student, and my episodic CH occurs at the worst times, namely, when I am in the middle of my semesters.  When I was studying to be an elementary school teacher, this was no big thing: Class usually consisted of coloring pictures or singing songs.  I am now in my first year of theological studies, discerning a vocation to the Catholic Priesthood (on my other main post, someone mentioned that I may be the first “priest” in this particular community.  If so, I gladly take on any pastoral or theological questions you may have).  My classes are now at a graduate level, and I am currently taking the equivalent of 26 credit hours.  It is difficult work and prayer, which is only made more difficult when the beast decides to invite all of his friends in my head and throw a kegger.  Another downside is that from time to time I could really just use a hug from a dear, sweet, friend telling me it will be alright.  Unfortunately, in a group of men, this just isn't acceptable.  Plus, damn few here understand our situation.  I even had one friend try to tell me that this wasn't an appropriate reason to receive the Sacrament of Anointing.  He is very, very wrong.

My weapons are three-fold (very trinitarian if you ask me); Prednisone to attack the cycle, Maxalt  to attack the headache, and Sacraments to attack Satan who would use this as a means to drive a wedge between me and the sweet Lord, Jesus Christ.

Now, after finding this community, I finally have a place to go to talk to others who genuinely understand my situation.  For that I give praise and thanks to God above.

I love you all, although I do not know you.  I will pray for you always, and I humbly ask you do the same.  The beast would have a much stronger hold on my spiritual life if it wasn't for you all and the love of some wonderful priests, deacons, and friends.

God Love you, God Keep you, God Bless you now and forever!

Joe

Come to Me all who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest says the Lord.
polishtank01  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: second intro?
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 8:19pm

Welcome, Joe.  Yes, I do think you may be our first priest (or prospective priest).  

I'm happy to hear that your faith provides a safe harbor for you in your journey with CH.  Each of us needs a place, a person, a philosophy, or an outlook that sustains us when we grapple with this thing.  

I think you'll discover that there are many people of faith here.  Although that faith may differ from your own, it's one thing I think we have in common.  There are no clusterheads I've spoken to who do not have something beyond themselves that gets them through the bad times--whether it's the will to live a full life in defiance of the thing, or a purpose they want to fulfill, or simply another person who needs them.

You'll find that clusterheads are very strong.  Everyone, of course, is stronger than they believe they are--but clusterheads are tested over and over again.      

dionysiusaeropagite wrote on Oct 11th, 2008 at 7:54pm:
I have already made a “pseudo-introduction” in another forum

I suppose, then, that that makes this post (or the other one, LOL) the post of the Pseudo-Dionysius Areopagite.   Wink

All the best, and again--welcome.

George
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2008 at 1:24am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 8:42pm

I have been in contact with Joe by PM thanking him for giving all of us a much easier name to call him by.   LOL

For those of you who aren't Catholic, we have a saints name for almost everything.  St. Jude, helper of lost causes, St. Francis, protector of animals, St. Anthony when yopu need to find something that is lost, etc.

I have been a Catholic all of my life.  I never knew there was a saint of headaches...hence Joes long screen name.   wow....wonder if he had clusters?

Anyway welcome  again Joe.   Stick around and we will help you deal with the beast.   Wink  We have lots of experience around here.  

Linda, who is now going to go "google"  "Saint of headaches and read up on him/her

P.S.  Quote:
I could really just use a hug from a dear, sweet, friend telling me it will be alright.
   Consider yourself hugged by everyone here.    Smiley Smiley Smiley

It IS going to be all right.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2008 at 8:46pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 9:45pm

Welcom Home Joe,

As George mentioned, there are many faiths and spiritual paths among us Clusterheads.  Be they Catholic, Protestant, Baptist...or, Jewish, Pagan or Buddist.

We all either suffer from, or love someone who suffers from this Beast.

There is so much you will learn here, starting with the links to the left of this page.  Check out the Kip Scale, the Oxygen Info. 

As was pointed out to you in your other thread, there are thousands of years of combined professional sufferer insight here and we are allways willing to share our thoughts and successes (and failures).

Just a few words of warning.

1)  We will sometimes get trolls in here that are either peddling snake oil cures or just here to cause trouble because they have no life.  Trust the Troll-Poking crew to ferret them out.  They hope to prey on new members desperate to try (and spend their money) on anything that might help.

2)  Just like any other family, we sometimes will get into squabbles that take on a life of their own. 

3) No matter what...when you need us, we'll be here. 

Sorry you had to find us.  But there is no better place in the world for Clusterhead to learn and be supported, and even make some life long friends.

Welcome Home.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 3:36am

dionysiusaeropagite wrote on Oct 11th, 2008 at 7:54pm:
 Another downside is that from time to time I could really just use a hug from a dear, sweet, friend telling me it will be alright.  Unfortunately, in a group of men, this just isn't acceptable.

Have you met Chuck?.......Your in for a rude awakening.....LOL  Grin

Welcome aboard, grab an oar and row......Nobody rides for free!  Wink

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 10:16am

joe;

my dear brother in christ, i will be praying for you. i am presbyterian by denomination, but many a night and day i have pleaded for christ to take this ch from me, many a time this beast has drove me to my knees in tears and shear pain. many are the times i have been judged and discarded.
all this i have come to two conclusions. 1 it is appropiate for me to fight my battles on my knees. 2. there must be a way that god is going to use this affliction in my life.
just yesterday i was able to help a dear brother clusterhead that was in real need. this same brother and his beutifal wife have helped me more than they may know and i was blessed with the ability to bless him through christ with something he despartly needed.
i praise god he has led you to us to help you.
like my board name " on my knees" ch and god have driven me down to finally surrender control that in my secular life i clung onto, to christ.
i will pm you about a theory i have about pauls affliction in the new testament.
welcome brother perhaps you can bless us because now you understand our pain often suffered in silence and seclusion .and the pain of the afflicted you will surely encounter in the priesthood.

please try oxygen and maybe imitrex. be sure you use the oxygen correctly. i consider oxygen to be the breath of god when i need him so much.

love you joe

pm me about this saint of headaches, you have my interest

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 1:35pm

well, I looked him up and this is what I found.  The picture next to the text is VERY interesting.  How many times have all of us wanted to cut off our head?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 1:43pm

I'm with Linda -- been Catholic all my life and never heard of a Saint for headaches, but I'm not too old to learn new things. But I can pronounce Joe a whole lot easier.  Smiley

Welcome Joe.

Lots of Hugs from Texas

BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 6:33pm

Welcome aboard, Joe.

Glad you found us, and thanks for the intro you made about yourself.  We don't play Dr here, but there is a lot of experience that can help you to find your own treatment.  If you wait for the Drs to find it for you it won't happen.  Few of them know enough about CH to know all the effective treatment methods.

Read the Oxygen info to the left carefully.  Many of us have gotten real relief with it.  Energy drinks such as Red Bull have been effective for some of us as well.  They are my weapon of choice, as I have to get to the O2 very early in the attack for it to be effective.  You need to read up on the various preventatives and make up your own mind which way you want to go with them.  Personally I would be sure the Prednisone is only a short term taper to break the cycle and allow the preventative to start working.  I hate the side effects of it.

As an independent Baptist, who also studied for the ministry, but am serving in a lay capacity I KNOW the power of prayer.  Doesn't mean we always get exactly what we ask for, but I have found that God does not give me more than I can bear, and when I get close to the limit (as I have) this place is here to give the support and encouragement to keep on for another day.

Find a meet and greet that you can get to, or the convention next summer.  I promise you will be hugged more than you can imagine.  There is nothing like it!

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 12:45pm

Welcome to our funny little corner of the world Joseph (or should I call you Dion?) and be assured of all the years of experience and trial and error you will encounter here.
Hope I'm not out of line here, but I think I can speak for everyone here if I say there are some of the nicest people ever made at this site. Each and everyone of them knows what we endure (either as a sufferer or supporter) so you don't have to feel alone in your affliction anymore.

I come from a roman catholic background and I can ascertain we indeed have a saint for anything anywhere anytime lol.

Wishing you all the painfree vibes from the Netherlands,

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 2:23pm

Welcome Joe!  Glad you are here but sorry you need to be.   Thank you for your prayers and please know that I too will be praying for you as well! 

Here's another hug for when you need one! Smiley,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:06pm

St Dennis is also a patron saint of headaches.  My mother bought me a st dennis medal in the middle of my most recent battle with the beast.  There is another saint that escapes my mind.  ANd wouldn;t you know, there is a certain someone here by that name who helped me out quite a bit my last cycle

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!