Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topamax and eye troubles (Read 948 times)
DUNCAN553
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Topamax and eye troubles
Oct 11th, 2008 at 10:43pm

I was taking Topamax for Cluster Headaches for about a week and an half. I woke up one morning and my eyes were very dry, red and etchy. That was around 6:30 am, by 10:30 am my eyes were almost swollen shut. I went to my family doctor and he set me to an eye doctor right then. The eye doctor said it was the Topamax and gave me eye drops and told me to stop using the Topamax. I went from 20/20 to not seeing the big E on the eye chart over night. The area around my eyes became swollen and stayed that way for 5 days before I could even began to see almost anything at all. I was freaking out because I thought I would not be able to see again. After almost two weeks my vision came back almost as well as before taking the med's. It is now around three and a half weeks after stopping taking it and my night vision is still not very good. I still have dry eyes and if I drive at night for very long my eyes get very red and hurt for the rest of the night. I would tell you to be Very careful about taking Topamax. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems with Topamax?

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: Topamax and eye troubles
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 12:00am

Yes, it's known to cause eye problems. Specifically, glaucoma.

Copypasta'd from wiki.

"Acute myopia and secondary angle closure glaucoma, in a small subset of patients who take topiramate regularly, may cause transient (reversible), or permanent, loss of vision. The symptoms, which typically begin in the first month of use, include blurred vision and eye pain. If addressed early in its course, discontinuation of topiramate, along with other measures deemed prudent by the prescribing physician and/or ophthalmologist, may halt the progression of the ocular damage, and may reverse the visual impairment. Patients who take topiramate and who feel pain in or around their eyes, or notice a loss of vision, visual acuity, or blurred vision, are advised to seek consultation with their physician as soon as reasonably possible. According to the FDA: "in more than 825,000 patients...As of August 17, 2001 there have been 23 reported cases: 22 in adults and 1 in pediatric patients. It is generally recognized that postmarketing data are subject to substantial under-reporting."

Here's the funny thing...it's used to treat something that can cause blindness. Odd isn't it? I myself once had my superior vision disapear for 6 months, the doctors had no clue if I'd get it back. In fact, they didn't think I would.

Poof. 6 months later I wound up with it all coming back, with everyone in neurology and opthamology shocked. I'm sure your vision will get completely back to normal too. Your eyes probably just need time to recover from the trauma!

Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!