Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the difference between Flova and Imitrex? (Read 1163 times)
Kushka
CH.com Newbie

North Carolina
What is the difference between Flova and Imitrex?
Oct 13th, 2008 at 11:47pm

At the paharmacy today, I found out my insurace company refused to fill a prescription for Flova because it is non formulary. I have Imitrex already, but they only cover 5 per month and my copay is $60 just for those.  It is the only thing that has been giving me any real relief. My physician called in Flova to take when I ran out of Imitrex (took the last one yesterday).  But, since the insurance wouldn't cover it, I-have to wait until tomorrow for my physician to replace it with something else.   

I was wondering why they will cover Imitrex but not the other?  Does anybody know?  What is the difference between the two? What am I likely to be given to replace the Imitrex?

Carlyn

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Re: What is the difference between Flova and Imitrex?
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 11:55pm

"frova" and immitrex are both triptans.  It is possible that your insurance company will only cover so many 'triptans' per month . Not sure what insurance co you work with.   Have you tried to get your doctor to fill out a physician override to send on to the insurance company to potentially get you more than the standard allotment.  My overrides are typically good for 6 months at a time. 

you could also call your insurance company and see what the deal is...

IP Logged

Kushka
CH.com Newbie

North Carolina
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 8:57am

I am seeing my neuro tomorrow.  I will talk with him about the override.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Kushka

Carlyn

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 1:32pm

Kushka wrote on Oct 14th, 2008 at 8:57am:
I am seeing my neuro tomorrow.  I will talk with him about the override.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Kushka

Ask for free samples.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 2:05pm

NEVER mix triptans. Wait 24 hours min. before taking frova after imitrex.
SAMPLES
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!