Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Over-The-Counter Oxygen! (Read 12039 times)
warnberh
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Long Island City|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Over-The-Counter Oxygen!
Oct 17th, 2008 at 2:33pm

Hey there,
Sorry if this has been posted already, but as I went in to pick my prescription from Duane Reade (drugstore), I saw they were selling cans of 99% oxygen for 15 bucks.  From a company called Bioxygen.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Now, I'm not sure how this ranks as oxygen goes, but I have been having problems getting some from my doctor so I was really excited to see this as I was in a cluster.  I took a few puffs and it helped for a short time.

Just a heads up for anyone having trouble getting 02, and also, does anyone know about these over the counter tanks?  Do they work any better or worse than a prescription tank?

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Re: Over-The-Counter Oxygen!
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 3:36pm

One of the worst scams I ever saw.

From the look at the pictures these cans are smaller than a beer can. Such a simple aluminium or tinplate can cannot withstand a high pressure, so my guess is that it does not contain more than 2 liters of oxygen. For a good reason it is not mentioned how much oxygen you'll get for 15$.

The container can be emptied in less than 5 minutes, giving a flow rate of <0.4 liters/minute, a far cry away from even minimum recommended for CH, 7 l/m.

In one sentence: Something for the suckers that fall for every wellness scam, but utterly useless to abort a cluster attack.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

warnberh
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Long Island City|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 3:39pm

Actually yeah...In my excitement, I think I spoke too soon.  I saw on the site that the cans only run for about 4 and a half minutes...which sucks.

I suppose I am glad to have SOME oxygen around....but no way does this hold a candle to a prescription tank.  Not quite a beercan though, more like a thick lysol can.  Anyway,  I am still going to keep it around as part of my arsenal...you never know.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2008 at 3:40pm by warnberh »  

IP Logged

shelticon2
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Greensboro NC
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 3:49pm

Can someone tell me. Why in the world is O2 prescription anyway?

Jim

Cage the Beast

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 1:22am

shelticon2 wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 3:49pm:

Jim

My guess? So that idiots can't get ahold of it(being highly flammable), or you have to be taught how to use it so people don't go blowing themselves up.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008 at 1:23am by Pixie-elf »  

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

shelticon2
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Greensboro NC
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:13pm

If that is true, why can I buy a tank of propane or MAP gas at the hardware store....

I think that is just another way to dig deeper in my wallet somehow.

jim

Cage the Beast

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 10:34am

shelticon2 wrote on Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:13pm:
If that is true, why can I buy a tank of propane or MAP gas at the hardware store....

jim

For someone who won't use oxygen you sure got a lot of opinions about it.

Potter

IP Logged

Gator
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 5:08pm

Pixie-elf wrote on Oct 18th, 2008 at 1:22am:

Jim

My guess? So that idiots can't get ahold of it(being highly flammable), or you have to be taught how to use it so people don't go blowing themselves up.

Oxygen itself is not flammable.   Oxygen supports combustion and will make a fire burn much hotter and consume the fuel source much quicker, but oxygen itself does not burn, explode, etc. 

or did you mean that idiots are highly flammable?   LOL

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 9:11pm

Quote:

Jim

Oxygen itself is not flammable.   Oxygen supports combustion and will make a fire burn much hotter and consume the fuel source much quicker, but oxygen itself does not burn, explode, etc.  

or did you mean that idiots are highly flammable?   LOL

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

Funny stuff.

Potter

IP Logged

shelticon2
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Greensboro NC
Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 10:51pm

Potter wrote on Oct 19th, 2008 at 10:34am:
      For someone who won't use oxygen you sure got a lot of opinions about it.

Potter

I've got a lot of opinions about a lot of things. And, unlike you, I am willing to listen and respect the opinions of others without ridicule

Jim

Cage the Beast

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 11:56pm

Potter wrote on Oct 19th, 2008 at 9:11pm:
Quote:

Jim

Oxygen itself is not flammable.   Oxygen supports combustion and will make a fire burn much hotter and consume the fuel source much quicker, but oxygen itself does not burn, explode, etc.  

or did you mean that idiots are highly flammable?   LOL

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

Funny stuff.

Potter

Noo, I wouldn't know if idiots are flammable or not...

Really...

No idea at all... *hides the lighter*

I need to go test out an idea... Must get some oxygen first...

(Also, I assumed it was flammable due to the signs they made us hang up YEARS ago about how you shouldn't set anything on fire in our house due to oxygen being inside... >_>;; )
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2008 at 12:50am by Pixie-elf »  

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 2:42am

shelticon2 wrote on Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:13pm:

jim

Jim, you can buy oxygen where you by Mapp gas or propane for your small torch. You use oxygen and the propane, or Mapp, to get a hotter flame. I don't think a regulator would fit, and there isn't enough to kill a hit.

As Gator said, oxygen isn't flammable, it makes other things burn much hotter and faster. It's like making your torch kit turbo, when O2 is added.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 2:47am

warnberh wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 2:33pm:
Hey there,
Sorry if this has been posted already, but as I went in to pick my prescription from Duane Reade (drugstore), I saw they were selling cans of 99% oxygen for 15 bucks.  From a company called Bioxygen.

Now, I'm not sure how this ranks as oxygen goes, but I have been having problems getting some from my doctor so I was really excited to see this as I was in a cluster.  I took a few puffs and it helped for a short time.

Just a heads up for anyone having trouble getting 02, and also, does anyone know about these over the counter tanks?  Do they work any better or worse than a prescription tank?

Have you considered getting welders oxygen? You can go to  your local gas supplier and either rent or buy a big tank, and use it at home. Don't tell them you are using it for CH. You are using it in your shop.

Get a regulator for it, which is pretty easy to come by, ebay has them. And get yourself a non-rebreather mask, and you are set. This is a pretty inexpensive option.

Just an FYI.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 7:19am

It's called a catalyst:

Quote:
a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:31am

Quote:
It's called a catalyst:

Quote:
a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

Nope, it's not a catalyst, since it's consumed in the oxidation process.

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:01am

Kilowatt3 wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:31am:
Quote:
It's called a catalyst:

Quote:

Okay. Nevermind then.

Maybe you could tell us what it is.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #16 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:15am

Quote:
Quote:
It's called a catalyst:

Quote:

Okay. Nevermind then.

Accelerant

Potter

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:32am

Potter wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:15am:
Quote:
Quote:
It's called a catalyst:

Quote:

Okay. Nevermind then.

Accelerant

Potter

If it were an accelerant - something which speeds up the process - the implication is that it (fire) could exist without it. It cannot.

I think Kilowatt needs to tell us what it is since, according to him, it is not a catalyst. Is O2 really "consumed" in the process of fire? Or does it still exist, albeit in a different form (i.e., CO)?

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:43am

Quote:
Quote:
It's called a catalyst:

Quote:

Okay. Nevermind then.

Sure.

It's an "oxidant" - the original oxidizing agent.  The second electron shell contains six electrons, but needs eight to be at its most stable configuration, so it tends to try to draw electrons from whatever else is around.  That's the definition of oxidation (loss of electrons to an oxidant).

When something burns, the oxygen is consumed in the reaction, becoming part of the oxide.  If it was a catalyst, the oxygen would still be there, unchanged, after the reaction.

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #19 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:49am

Kilowatt3 wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:43am:
Quote:
Quote:
It's called a catalyst:

Quote:

Okay. Nevermind then.

Sure.

It's an "oxidant" - the original oxidizing agent.  The second electron shell contains six electrons, but needs eight to be at its most stable configuration, so it tends to try to draw electrons from whatever else is around.  That's the definition of oxidation (loss of electrons to an oxidant).

When something burns, the oxygen is consumed in the reaction, becoming part of the oxide.  If it was a catalyst, the oxygen would still be there, unchanged, after the reaction.

You musta stayed at a Holliday Inn last night.

Potter

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #20 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 2:59pm

You're all wrong because it's actually an "aggressor".  Used correctly it attacks beasts, eats 'em all up and excretes the remains as PF posts causing the rest of us to do the Happy-Dance.

Don't you know nothing about proper science?

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #21 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 1:37pm

In light of the current [ahem] discussion [ahem], do we yet know how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin?

Just wondering [ahem],

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!