Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Triptans & the heart (Read 1202 times)
Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Triptans & the heart
Oct 17th, 2008 at 7:48pm

Okay...so my husband's been taking Maxalt since his first cycle last year; and this is only his 2nd cycle so I don't know if it even applies; but for the past 4 days his heart has been racing on & off & being very irregular. The doctor took him off of Maxalt to see if that's the cause...which sucks because now he has not even a little relief (the Max at least would sometimes bring it down a little; it was hit or miss though).

My question is has anyone else had this happen to them & what did you do about it? We're working on the oxygen route right now. Thanks so much!

"There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten, but I have loved someone with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.”

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: Triptans & the heart
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 2:27am

Izzy wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 7:48pm:
Okay...so my husband's been taking Maxalt since his first cycle last year; and this is only his 2nd cycle so I don't know if it even applies; but for the past 4 days his heart has been racing on & off & being very irregular. The doctor took him off of Maxalt to see if that's the cause...which sucks because now he has not even a little relief (the Max at least would sometimes bring it down a little; it was hit or miss though).

My question is has anyone else had this happen to them & what did you do about it? We're working on the oxygen route right now. Thanks so much!

Well, I can't use triptans because I have small vessel disease of the brain, along with complicated/basiliar artery migraine.This means if I take them, it's liable to make me keel over. Stroke, Coma, death, etc.

So, my abort will be oxygen... when I can get it (Medicaid is being a pain.) Right now, I'd suggest you try the Water X3 while you wait for the oxygen.

A lot of people use vigorous excercise as an abort, or to help draw blood away from the head. You could try ice packs, too. Some other people might have other ideas for you...

You may also consider trying Kilowatt3's formula and see if that helps him any...

Good Luck and PF wishes~
Mystina

Edited to add: Here's a list of things people say may help from OUCH.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I tried the phenergan thing, it didn't work for me, just made my tongue numb.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008 at 5:00am by Pixie-elf »  

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 5:36am

Pixie-elf wrote on Oct 18th, 2008 at 2:27am:
[quote author=1D2E2E2D540 link=1224287305/0#0 date=1224287305] Right now, I'd suggest you try the Water X3 while you wait for the oxygen. A lot of people use vigorous excercise as an abort, or to help draw blood away from the head. You could try ice packs, too. Some other people might have other ideas for you...You may also consider trying Kilowatt3's formula and see if that helps him any...Edited to add: Here's a list of things people say may help from OUCH.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I tried the phenergan thing, it didn't work for me, just made my tongue numb.

Thanks Mystina!

Will try the Wx3 method; I suspect he is probably dehydrated at any rate; more water can't hurt. Smiley

We tried the exercise abort & it make him puke; so that's a no go.

Icepacks are part of the routine now, he finds some relief in them. The other day he tried an ice bath & that really helped to kill it faster than normal; not really an abort but it was a shorter episode.

We are in the process of getting Kilowatt's stuff to try out the formula; just ordered it a few days ago though. Will let you know how it goes.

Yah I've been reading the OUCH site stuff & came across that like 20 minutes ago; I will go through it & see. Thanks again!

"There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten, but I have loved someone with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.”

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 11:14am

Should the doc order him off this class of meds, have this printed out and ask for a trial. Number of us have had excellent response with the advantages of pill dosing and a lower per dose cost.
===========

Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 2:37am

THANKS! I will show this to the doc in the morning. Antpees don't worry me...not with my background. It's worth checking out. Thanks again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!