Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
knot in neck? (Read 701 times)
texashale
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|El Paso|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
knot in neck?
Oct 17th, 2008 at 8:34pm

I am chronic. One thing I have noticed is that I have a knot in my neck that really hurts and seems to be linked to the demon. trying to massage it out makes it worse. Has anyone else experieced this?

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: knot in neck?
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:42pm

It's pretty common.  

Those of us who get them (not all of us do) call them cluster lumps.  They're actually swollen nerve ganglia and surrounding tissue.  Normally on the same side as the pain.  People get them to the left or right of C5, C7/T1, at the sphenopalatine ganglion at the base of the skull, on the roof of the mouth, or in one of several other places.  

You're right--massaging them doesn't help.  Having someone else massage them is REALLY painful.  (Personal experience.)  

Try ice wrapped in a sopping wet cloth, or a bag of frozen vegetables--the cold really does reduce the pain.

There was quite an extensive thread on here some time ago about them.  They're really pretty interesting--a part of the whole neurological perfect storm that is CH.

Best,

George
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008 at 1:21am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

texashale
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|El Paso|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:30pm

Thank you George, that makes a lot of sense! And mine is right around maybe c4 or c5.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 12:30am

I've been noticing the same type of thing... I was starting to worry that I was having some other kind of problem.

Thanks for the explaination George.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!