Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A New Member Just Saying Hi To Everybody (Read 1717 times)
Sledge
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

A New Member Just Saying Hi To Everybody
Oct 18th, 2008 at 8:42am

Hello everyone.
My name is Sledge and I live in Market harborough, Leicestershire UK.
I'm a Cluster Headache sufferer and have been for about 3 years now. I am so glad that I have found this forum as I feel it will be of great support to me.
Anyway I must dash and finish fixing the toilet systern before the wife gets home!!! lol
Take care all and nice to meet you.
Cheers Sledge

Sledge  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Re: A New Member Just Saying Hi To Everybody
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 10:14am

Welcome to the group Sledge,
     are you in cycle now?  If so, what meds are you on?
     Lots support and informtion here.  Glad you found us.
                             JPC

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 10:25am

Welcome my fellow clusterheaded European!

Please tell us your regimen so maybe we can give some advice to improve your management of your cycles. There is so much info and experience here, you wouldn't believe.
Ask any questions, I'm sure there is always someone to answer.

Painfree days soon, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Sledge
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 10:30am

Hi JPC

Yeah I am in cycle now but the pattern does not stop at waking during my sleep to have a CH it can happen and does happen even at work during the day and just like others I end up a blubbering mess. I usually start hyperventillating too which in turn causes me pain due to severe cramps. It is so embarassing that a 38 year old male can turn into a crying baby!!

My current meds are 2 x 30mg Codeine Phosphate. 1 x 20mg Sumatriptan nasal spray O2 and 2 x 500mg Paracetamol I also use nasal decongestant prays and drops as I find this helps a bit.

For me they occurr very randomly summer, winter, day or night.
The worst part for me is that I am a working DJ!!! and noise is the last thing you need when having an attack.

Cheers
Sledge

Sledge  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 10:51am

My main prevent is verapamil which in the past has worked just fine.
     I'm not as knowlegebleble as alot of the other members here regarding the vast amount of meds available.  Oxygen seems to be the main abortive of choice here.  Click on the "oxygen info" to the left. 
     Anyway, hang on to your shorts, you are about to recieve a wealth of information and help. 
     I couldn't imagine trying to DJ during an attack.  Thats got to be a tough one.
                              Check in on ya later
                                       JPC

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 4:26pm

Glad you found us, welcome come brother! This will start sounding like a recording but please do check out oxygen. I can abort an attack in as little as 6 minutes. That means I'm completely pain free. The keys:

Pure oxygen, from a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM, using a non re breaher mask. For your body to get the vaso constricting effect necesary to kill the attack, your lungs must receive only pure oxygen. No outside air, no air you have exhaled. So re breather masks and nasal canulas are completely worthless for us. It's proving very effective for many on the board, certainly worth a try.

Again, welcome home! Wink

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 10:20pm

I'm with Guiseppi with the addition of Red Bull or other energy drinks.  Chug one down as soon as you get the first sign of a hit.  It can knock on back for me in minutes as well.  I like it for times I'm out and don't have access to anything else.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Sledge
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 6:54am

Guiseppi wrote on Oct 18th, 2008 at 4:26pm:
Glad you found us, welcome come brother! This will start sounding like a recording but please do check out oxygen. I can abort an attack in as little as 6 minutes. That means I'm completely pain free. The keys:

Pure oxygen, from a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM, using a non re breaher mask. For your body to get the vaso constricting effect necesary to kill the attack, your lungs must receive only pure oxygen. No outside air, no air you have exhaled. So re breather masks and nasal canulas are completely worthless for us. It's proving very effective for many on the board, certainly worth a try.

Again, welcome home! Wink

Guiseppi

Hi Guiseppi.
Yeah I do use O2 but I will check out the non rebreather mask as I use the nasal one and I have used a rebreather mask before.
I'll contact my doctor and then report back to you.
Thanks for that
Sledge.

Sledge  
IP Logged

Sledge
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 6:57am

Callico wrote on Oct 18th, 2008 at 10:20pm:
I'm with Guiseppi with the addition of Red Bull or other energy drinks.  Chug one down as soon as you get the first sign of a hit.  It can knock on back for me in minutes as well.  I like it for times I'm out and don't have access to anything else.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I hate Redbull but.... I WILL try it and I can see where you are coming from I am impressed. Again as with Guiseppi I will report back.
I am loving this forum already.
Many thanks
Sledge

Sledge  
IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 7:30am

There are Red Bull alternatives out there that taste a lot better.
The energy drink should have at least 80mg / 250ml caffeine and 1000mg taurine - the more the better.

Oliver

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!