Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi (Read 1210 times)
Farmer Girl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hi
Oct 19th, 2008 at 4:17am

Hi, my name is Jacqueline, I am nearly 50 and live in Scotland.  I have just discovered that the awful headaches I am getting are CH. 

I have suffered since I was a teenager and found that over the years, especially in the last 5 years they have got worse and worse.  Embarrassed  I have been told by various friends, employers etc to just take a few asprins and get on with it like everyone else (OMG they have no idea!).  Luckily my husband is very supportive but still feels helpless at times when it's really bad. 

I have started on Maxalt and find this works reasonably well but doesn't take it away completely.  I am going to ask for oxygen as I have been reading with great interest about what works for other people.

It is such a relief after all these years to find this site (recommended by the doctor) and realize that there are other people out there.  What a fantastic support!  Like I said I have been battling for years on my own with this.  Delighted to meet everyone.

Jacqueline  Smiley

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Hi
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 8:20am

Get in touch with this excellent group:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. They will support and provide  much needed guidance.
---------
HERE ARE TWO MAJOR DOCUMENTS WITH RECOMMENDED TREATMENTS FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE, ONE FROM A U.S. PHYSICIAN, THE SECOND FROM EUROPE.
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002. Rozen)
================
Treatment guidelines from Europe

------
A. May, M. Leone, J. Áfra, M. Linde, P. S. Sándor, S. Evers, P. J. Goadsby:
EFNS guidelines on the treatment of cluster headache and other
trigeminalautonomic cephalalgias.
European Journal of Neurology. 2006; 13: 1066–1077.

Download free full text:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
(Thanks to "cluster" for link.)
=====================

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 8:52am

Hi Jacqueline,

Welcome to the best place on the internet for cluster heads and their supporters.  I'd encourage your husband to join up too.  There is a lot you both can learn.

Sounds like you've got a Dr that's plugged in.  That's a great thing.  Most folks spend a lot of time educating their Doctors.

So, read up and fire away with whatever questions you have.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 9:37am

Hi Jacqueline and welcome to your new family. You are not alone with this fight anymore.

Good to hear you are going to talk to your doc regarding getting the o2. It is my #1 defense in fighting this monster. I take Verapamil as a preventive which works pretty good for me. Be sure to let the doc know you need at least a 15 lpm regulator and a non-rebreather mask, no out side air, 100% o2. Get on it as soon as you feel the very first sign of an on-coming hit.

Read all you can to your left and once again welcome.

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Farmer Girl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 10:14am

Thanks guys for all the useful links and tips

Jacqueline  Smiley

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 11:50am

Hi Jacqueline,
    Almost hate to see someone new pop up, but I'm glad you found this site.  Lots of help for ya here.
                 Good PF luck to ya.
                        JPC

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 2:05am

Welcome aboard!  Glad you have a dr from the 21st century!!! 

While you are waiting to get oxygen i would recommend energy drinks like Red Bull.  Chugged down as quickly as you can as soon as you feel an attack coming on they can abort a hit for you in just a few minutes.  It is not for an everytime use, but works well when you can't get to O2.

Read all you can here.  there is a wealth of info for you to digest, and for your husband too.  Personally I feel he has a more trying task than you.  I know I would not want to be a supporter!

Look into Kudzu as a preventative.  It worked well for me.

There is a letter at the top of the "getting to know ya" page titled "Letter to Employers and Collegues".  It is an excellent way to introduce your friends and family to your situation.  Simon explains it very well and so that those unfamiliar with CH understand what you deal with on a daily basis.  He has been good enough to allow us to print it out and give it to others as long as we leave his name on it. 

All the best,
Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!