Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to cluster headaches, new to here (Read 1517 times)
WillAnderson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New to cluster headaches, new to here
Oct 19th, 2008 at 3:41am

Hello there,

I'm Will, I'm 33 and new to all this.

Part of me wishes I didn't find this place and part of me is relieved I have. It's only starting to dawn on me what this disorder(?) could turn into.   I had my first ever bout of cluster headaches 3 years ago and it lasted for about 6 weeks.  I'd hoped that maybe it was a freak one off, that maybe my doctor had miss-diagnosed me, but it's come back and last night was just horrible.
I don't think it's got to a 10 yet on the scale, but is around 8 to 9 at its worst.  Do people find it gradually gets more severe with time, or is it pretty much the same?  Or does it vary from person to person?
Anyway that's me. 
Here's hoping tonight won't be as bad...Smiley

Will

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Re: New to cluster headaches, new to here
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 3:49am

Hi Will!!
Sorry you had to come looking for us, but i am glad you found us.  Maybe you can tell us what you and your doc have discussed in terms of relief.  There are literally dozens of different meds or cocktails that can be used, all of which have side effects or unintended consequences.  It would be a good idea to poke around the site here and read up.  I dont think CH lessens with age, but i do think it varies in severity for each person.  Hell, even one cycle to the next can seem like a totally different animal.
Personally, I use Oxygen as my primary abortive.  The only negative is that it makes my mouth dry, but it works rather well.  20 to 30 litres per minute on a non-rebreather.
I also take melatonin and benadryl before bed and i think it helps reduce the nighttime hits. 

Hope you get a good nite sleep.
B$

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 9:56am

Hi Will and welcome. Sorry you had to go looking for us but for your own sake glad you did. There is a ton of knowledge here and many, many people willing to help anyway they can.

o2 is my abortive and Verapamil is my preventive. My cycles last a long time (usually more than a year at a time) and I find the hits ramp up near the end of my cycle. We are all different with how our cycles run and what triggers ect. but the pain is very real and all of us here share that.

You are not alone anymore.

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 11:39am

Hello Will,
     Welcome to the group.  Ditto on what Barry said.

I start my cycle with a 10 day Prednisone burst along with Verapamil.

Been doing this for 30+ years.  I think it just gets easier to deal with after so long. What may have been a k10 20 years ago, may be a k7-8 now.  Just my opinion.

Anyway,  read up on all the past posts also.  Tons of information for you and your Dr.

Good Luck To Ya
                                    JPC

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 1:11pm

Hi Will,

Welcome to the nut house ... and your new 2nd home  Cool

I found that once I understood what I was fighting and found a few weapons that help (Oxygen, Imitrex and Verapamil) that the pain became more bearable.  Just being able to fight back, even if I lose a battle or two, really helps.

My cycles always vary in intensity.  I typically get two a year lasting for 12 weeks or so each.  So I'm half the year in cycle and half the year out.  Just finished up a relatively easy cycle that started back in July.  I'm just as likely to get blasted again in the spring.  You just learn to take it as it comes.  The key is to live your life between the hits.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 2:12am

Welcome to the family, Will.

You will find as you read here that CH varies from person to person, and cycle to cycle, and often from day to day. 

Read, read, and read some more.  You need to know what you want to try and what you DON'T b4 going to your Dr.  What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, so you will probably have to experiment with different combinations to get the king of relief you are looking for.  for me, Kudzu was the best preventative, with minimal side effects, being that it is all natural.  I used Verapamil and Lithium for some time with some relief, but the side effects got to me.  O2 worked for a while, but only if I got to it soon enough.  I was only using 15lpm though, and I don't think it was enough.  Now some are going as high as 30lpm.  I may give it another try.  Energy drinks, such as Red Bull work very well for me, but they cannot be used all the time.  If you use them you have to chug them down as fast as you can drink at  the first sign of attack.  They will usually work within 5-10 mins for me.

don't be afraid to ask questions.  there is no such thing as a stupid question if it is an honest question, so ask away.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 8:08pm

Hello Will. Bill here from Cleveland Ohio. I hear where your coming come, You got plenty of new advise now to catch up to for the last 3 years so read, read and read more. Best abort for me is Oxygen. Sorry to hear your getting hammered, now read everything here and build your weapons up and go kick some beast ass.!! Be Better Soon. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 6:49am

Hi Will,
welcome to ch family! Smiley

PF days your way,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Rina
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:28pm

Hi Will,

I am also new to the site. I am at the start of a third episode. I have found that one's capacity to handle more intense pain increases over time. I also used to use a scale of 1 to 10 and then I had a 12. The one great thing about it all is the relief when it is over. I almost have a sensation of achieving something spectacular and then need to celebrate. I only have nightly attacks at the moment, so I can slip in and out of bed without interruptions to my day. I wish I could figure out what makes the time of day change. life is so much easier if you can plan around this event.
Take care,
Rina

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!