Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The beast is back.....and an odd symptom. (Read 4591 times)
drhbooks
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Fairfax|USA||||VA,Virginia
The beast is back.....and an odd symptom.
Oct 27th, 2008 at 11:51pm

After over 2 cluster free years I'm back in a cluster cycle.  DAMN, DAMN, DAMN.  I'm heading out of town for five days Wed.  so no Oxygen for a week or so it looks like.  I'm going to try to see my doc and see about getting a scrip for steroids which sometimes abort a cluster cycle for me if taken early.   Second late night headache in a week.  Was in denial about the first one since it wasn't as severe as my clusters have been in the past, but of course I get more 'regular' headaches during a cluster cycle as well so that's what the first one was. 

I've got a weird cluster sympton for you.  Anybody else have trouble 'finding words' when in a cluster cycle... not worried about it during the actual headache attacks, but  I do much writing for work, and for the last few weeks I've had trouble coming up with the terms I've needed or wanted on occasion.  I had this symptom once before and blamed it on the topomax I had been prescribed.....  Cluster is abating after only a half hour -- thank GOD! 

Thanks for being here everyone!
David

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Re: The beast is back.....and an odd symptom.
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 1:40am

Sorry you are back in cycle David.  You are one on many right now. I was PF for six years.

I notice that my quick wit ain't so quick.  Could be the meds, could be the beast, not sure but I do notice it.

Best of PF luck to ya
                                   JPC

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 2:52am

I hate to say this but yes Clusters have caused me to lose some mental depth. It does come back but when it's not there when I want its quite alarming. Forcing me to think slower than usual.

Part of me wanted to not answer this but over 20yrs. of CH have shown me the symptom you speak of. Not a lot but from time to time. Meds. do add to it for me. In the end I have learned to cope and it is overcome. You will too.

Best wishes, Don

[size=16]
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2008 at 2:58am by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 7:38am

A temporary condition not unlike the memory lapses which come with aging.

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2005 Apr;9(2):109-12.   
Cognitive processing in cluster headache.

Evers S.

Department of Neurology, University of Munster, Albert-Schweitzer-Str. 33, 48129 Munster, Germany. everss@uni-muenster.de.

[Edited for length.] In neuropsychologic evaluations, a reversible decline of memory processing was detected during the cluster attack, but not between two attacks. Long-term observation revealed no progressive cognitive decline in cluster headache patients over the years. With regard to personality changes, a liability susceptibility to anxiety disorders and to hypochondriasis, but not to mood changes, has been described inconsistently. All changes in alterations of cognitive processing in cluster headache are demonstrated to be mild and do not relevantly contribute to the clinical picture of this disease.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 15745620 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

luketd
CH.com Newbie

Action not words.

London Uk
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 7:48am

I've noticed that recently (come to think of it since the start of this cycle) I've been strugaling badly to find words on occasion, and even stammering or stuttering through sentances. I hadent atributed this to CH but now u mention it... My family have pointed out that I seem to have slowed down with regards my verbal capacity. I wonder how widespread this is?

B/w luke

IP Logged

drhbooks
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Fairfax|USA||||VA,Virginia
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 10:40am

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.  Bob-- especially appreciate your reassurance that this isn't a progressive decline!    Wishing Pain Free days and nights for all of us.

David

IP Logged

Kushka
CH.com Newbie

North Carolina
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 11:29am

This is one of my most vexing symptoms of CH - and how I know I am getting ready to have a rough night.  I generally notice this between and about an hour before attacks when I have shadows and am trying to function through them. 

As a person who writes and speaks in front of groups for a living, it is a very obvious and inconvenient symptom.  I will be in the middle of making a point or laying out a distinction and suddenly, I can't find the right words.  I will say words that may sound similar but have a completely different meaning or I just flounder and can't find the right word at all.  Sometimes, I totally lose my train of thought mid-point and have to backtrack. It is very upsetting and makes me feel like an idiot.  People are usually patient with it happening once or twice but when it happens five to ten times in the course of an hour, it is just time to go home.

When the cycle ends, it can take a few days to feel like I am back to normal but when I am, my command of the language returns as well.  This issue may have something to do with meds for some, but I noticed this symptom before I was diagnosed and was not on any prescription meds.

Kushka

Carlyn

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 12:31pm

I've always chalked this up to sleep disruption myself.  The rougher the cycle the less sleep I get the less sense I make.

I do notice that it goes away within weeks of the cycle ending.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 10:24pm

I agree with Dennis- CH cause major sleep disruption for me since I get the nightly attacks while in cycle.  This causes major irritability for me as well as not being up to par in my mental capabilities in or out of cycle. 

But, when taking verapamil , I notice this symptom is even more pronounced.  During the period that I was in cycle last and I took verap, I was in 'survival ' mode.  About the only thing I could really do was just get thru the day...  Sometimes I wonder how I kept my job considering just how 'stupid' and 'blank' I was.

Kelly

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 10:34pm

Are you still ON topomax?

that would definetly answer the question for you.   Dopymax is notorious for this kind of thing.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Jason
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

College Grove, TN
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 9:14pm

Yes, must say I have noticed this also, even when I have had adequate sleep. I am normally a pretty quick wit and I do a fair amount of public speaking as a part of what we do around here. I would say that WITH adequate sleep, my presentations are about 70 % of normal in cycle, and without adequate sleep definitely not that high. Like other posters have suggested, I struggle for the right words, even if I've done a killer job on the presentation in question when I am out of cycle.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 10:22pm

Intriguing question David...I find just the opposite...

When formerly in cycle (episodic) and currently when in "high" cycle (chronic) my writing and even speaking improves. I do a fair amount of it for my employer and am considered good at it (it's a surprise to me, nothing I ever write seems good enough).

Words and thoughts just flow. I have thought about this extensively and and concluded it has WAY less (if anything) to do with CH and way MORE to do with the exhaustion and fatigue which accompany the beast. Just don't give a damn anymore and the internal censor is subdued. That there is personality vs condition. We all just react differently.

Guess I just explained why you occasionally see "stories" here on ch.com from me. I simply feel compelled...and I love telling stories to people I love. It is therapy for me, and if they have any meaning for
those here...well then, all the better...and SCREW the beast!

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 6:06am

Sorry the beast is back for you too.

I don't know about "finding words", but everything SLOWS DOWN for me physically and mentally.  When I wasn't on Verapamil during episodes, I was never this bad.  My BP is low to begin with.

I've slept through the night for a few days, but it hasn't helped.  I'm still beat.  Depression, anxiety, stress, etc., must be big part of this too.  So I do get slow & stupid during episodes then back to normal when I'm off all the meds.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #13 - Oct 30th, 2008 at 7:42am

I'm on topamax (have been for about 10 years) so it would be easy to blame the meds, BUT I had this problem BEFORE the topamax. Age? Probably to some extent. HA? probably to some extent also. Meds? Probably to some extent also.

I've learned to just say "senior moment" and let it go at that. Someone usually fills in the word I lost. Yes, it's aggraviating, but not fatal (well, at my AGE I can get away with it).

When writing I use a theausus (if I can come up with a word that's close).

sometimes I'm sharper than at other times (low cycle) but I do use a lot of post-it notes.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

luketd
CH.com Newbie

Action not words.

London Uk
Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:09pm

Just a quick question for anyone who has posted here so-far or has noticed this "loss of words thing". One of my flat-mates who is studying Neuro-Psychology pointed out that it would be interesting to see if this seemingly relatively unusual symptom is more prevalent in people who's CH's are left or right sided. I for one am a lefty but would be interested to hear from anyone else!

PFD

Luke

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #15 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 10:22pm

I'm a rightie, and never noticed the symptom.

Jon

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #16 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 3:04pm

I usually drop about 10 IQ points during a cycle and get about 8 of them back.  So the older I get, the dumber I is. Undecided

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

James L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 3:55pm

I been dealing with the beast for the past 15 years, every year I always think that maybe I'll not have to deal with it, so much for that.  It's a good thing the weather is mild in Gettysburg these days, that way when I wake up at 2am from the Beast, I can walk around the back yard to cool down from sweating so much. Has anyone been able to tell why we are so lucky to have this yet?

IP Logged

Tanyana
CH.com Junior

What? Now???

Hayden id usa
Reply #18 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 6:54pm

Hi ppattya here,  first time on site.  I just got dx after years of mis dx and horrible unexplainable pain. but the "can't find the word' thing is not 'weird" to me.  I think its like a tip of the tounge type of thing. I know what I want to say but can't say It for a little while then it comes back to me.  and I have a hard time remembering where things are.  forget my husbands name where the store is where my wallet is and what was i doing    I say that my brains hurts and it just quit working if you find out more about this please email me at pattyroth13@yahoo.com

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!
Patricia Anderson Roth  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:40pm

rightie- and stupid in cycle

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 2:15am

Lefty AND righty ... and just plain stupid ALL the time.

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

sarivia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 7:51am

Rightie...and drug-free. I can't blame my slower thought process or loss of words on drugs.  I've always chalked it up to sheer exhaustion since I barely get any sleep during cycles and the "normal" HA that persists throughout the day that just keeps me in a fog.

IP Logged

Allen_A
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Glendora|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #22 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 8:13am

I'm sorry....I forgot the question......

Don't give up. Don't give in. Don't quit. Never fokkin' surrender.
alnaplby  
IP Logged

Rina
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 3:28pm

Hi there. I am right handed. I experienced mixing words up while talking as well as writing for the last two cycles. My Dr. recomended I supplement with Pregnolone. It helps as long as you continuously take it. I personally feel it is a form of anxiety. It only happens when I feel overwhelmed and I am trying to do too many things at the same time. Slow down.

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #24 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 3:34pm

Rina wrote on Nov 9th, 2008 at 3:28pm:
Hi there. I am right handed. .

Did you mean right 'headed'?

BTW if you look at the symptoms of some of the meds that many of us take ie Verapamil you will notice that there are side effects for some that relate to memory.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!