Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Neuro.....Prednisolone (Read 2452 times)
luketd
CH.com Newbie

Action not words.

London Uk
New Neuro.....Prednisolone
Nov 6th, 2008 at 4:19am

Hi , just wondering if anyone has heard or used Prednisolone, a new neuro im seeing seems to think this is going to stop my cluster cycle dead in one week, im quite skeptical and the list of side effects are long a highly un-desirable. If anyone has any info it would be really appreciated!

PFD and Thanks,

Luke

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Re: New Neuro.....Prednisolone
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 4:33am

Pred is a good short term fix while you get a prevent to work,  some people can take a pred tapper and it will stop a cycle but most of the time they come back.  Im taking pred right now it worked for a couple days and now I started to tapper down and well its 4am here and Im comming down from a hit.  Phil

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:47am

Prednisolone = steroid.

It often is very effective for cluster headaches, but is not taken for long because of the increasing side-effects. On the short term, though, it's safe to take. People commonly achieve completely pain-free time during the Prednisolone treatment if they take a high-enough dose of it.

I myself took Prednisolone for around half a year at a low dose. It was difficult to discontinue and resulted in a constant headache, which disappeared in around two weeks. To not to get any attacks, I took 40+ mg per day. Even 30mg, taken at 8 hour intervals of 10mg, often resulted in pain-free time.

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 10:17pm

What they said!!! For some, it will actually abort the cycle! I was never that lucky. It provides 100% relief for me, but as the others said, it should be used as either a short term burst to abort a cycle, or a short term taper while you transition onto a preventative medication. The side effects for long term usage can be a problem!

Let's all cross our fingers and just assume you'll be one of the lucky souls and the pred will abort the cycle all together!!!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 10:51pm

also known as ...medrol. IV stopped one cycle for me same day, within an hour...miraculous (or so I thought)...next time nadda...

prednisone/prednisolone...work for some...sometimes...be aware of the possible side effects...but if I was you...I would try...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 11:06pm

Read this...over and over.
the bb
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
all the best
get ready for these probable side effects.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

luketd
CH.com Newbie

Action not words.

London Uk
Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:45am

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys, i think im going to give them a try as the general consensus seems to be try anything once just in case. Im a septic and cant envisage these little pills kicking the monsters ass for good but you never know.

That Plain board PDF should be on the board permonantly somewhere, that was really usefull thanks thebb.

Il let you all know how it turns out!

PFDAN luke

IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus

Chronic and still alive
--- I Win!

Overland Park, KS
Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 5:38pm

Worked for me for a little while.

Bad side effects.  Especially the one that made me puff up like a blow fish.

"If you love something, let it go.  If it doesn't come back,  hunt it down and kill it". Proud father of a US Marine,  Marine turned COP, Navy Corpsman, and KS Army National Guard. Our  4 sons serve.

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:07pm

Prednisone....   Broke 2 cycles completely for me starting with the day I took it.  Third cycle got me 2 days painfree and then nada.  I'll tell you though, I can't complain too much when something gets you a painfree night or two. I'll take it.    I usually gain about 10-20lbs while on it though-

Kelly

IP Logged

luketd
CH.com Newbie

Action not words.

London Uk
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 8:16am

Well im exceptionally glad to say that having started taking the Pred 3 days ago, yesterday was my first CH free day and better yet night in about 3 months! YAHAY, so happy, its so nice to be able to walk around not in the constant fear of being stuck down by the beast. I must say im not enjoying the side effects very much, serious and continual heartburn and nearly sick a couple of times. Ive been eating plenty before taking the pred and also drinking lots of water + milk after which is meant to help. Thanks to everyone who left advice, even if i only get one PFD as im sure everyone knows, Id take it!!!

PFDAN Luke

IP Logged

luketd
CH.com Newbie

Action not words.

London Uk
Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 6:07pm

And i thought it was going so well, my doctor prescribed me 2 weeks of pred, and low and behold, 2 days in, no CHA's, miracle? couple of shadows but nothing to speak of really, alls well and good, or so i thought. anyway, after 2 weeks i finish the prescription and for 2 days, no CH's, excellent, little did i expect to be rudely awakened at 3 in the morning with a head banging K8. and so it continues un-abated! Very frustrating. Ive tried to make an appointment with the Neuro who prescribed but the stupd online system just says "no available appointments" Huh, how is that ment to help. Anyone else in Devon (UK) and getting agro from the dumb ass booking system they are running down here?

PFDAN Luke

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 6:33pm

Sorry dude, that's how pred works for me too. 100% block of CH attacks, when I go off of it, WHAM!!!!!!! I get creamed. For now stock up on the energy drinks, then get into that neuro and get youself some 02!! Good luck.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!