Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decongestants? (Read 2664 times)
Jett
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Decongestants?
Nov 13th, 2008 at 12:09pm

I have always found that taking sudafed helps prevent an attack when I feel shdows.  However, my Dr. just told me not to take it with my other meds because of the risk of stroke.  I am on Lithium and Verapamil and Claritin with Cyproheptadine at bedtime and use Imitrex injections to abort.  I think he's concerned about the interaction with Imitrex.

Does anyone know of an effective alternative to Sudafed?  I am wary of nasal sprays because trying to stop using them is difficult.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Decongestants?
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 12:34pm

Jett wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 12:09pm:
I have always found that taking sudafed helps prevent an attack when I feel shdows.  However, my Dr. just told me not to take it with my other meds because of the risk of stroke.  I am on Lithium and Verapamil and Claritin with Cyproheptadine at bedtime and use Imitrex injections to abort.  I think he's concerned about the interaction with Imitrex.

Does anyone know of an effective alternative to Sudafed?  I am wary of nasal sprays because trying to stop using them is difficult.

Oxygen works.

Potter

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 1:02pm

Erm, I don't know what the decongestant in sudafed is, could you post it please?

Other than nasal sprays, I doubt you're going to find one that WON'T effect your heart. There's one nasal spray people use on here, 4-way, it has to be name brand. They'll prolly post and tell you more.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Audre
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Three Rivers|USA||0|0|MI,Michigan
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 1:36pm

Yeah, it's really not safe taking all of those.  Verapamil is a vasodilator, Imitrex constricts cranial blood vessels, and the drug in Sudafed, either pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, is a vasoconstrictor.  Not to mention if the Claritin has a decongestant in it too.

If you're having trouble with congestion, you can always try the saline nasal washes but it won't prevent any attacks.  If anything, it could help stop any extra pain from the pressure caused by the congestion.

IP Logged

Jett
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 3:56pm

Thanks for the advice.  O2 helps my CHs but not the congestion that seems to lead to them.  I will try a saline spray.

Just seem to be in a bad cluster the past couple of weeks.  My neuro says he has others complaining, too.  Since it's the first cluster in over a year, I can't complain.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 4:34pm

Jett wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 3:56pm:
Thanks for the advice.  O2 helps my CHs but not the congestion that seems to lead to them.  I will try a saline spray.

Just seem to be in a bad cluster the past couple of weeks.  My neuro says he has others complaining, too.  Since it's the first cluster in over a year, I can't complain.

i strongly recommend non generic 4 way. i think some of us have used it as an abortive. has to be non generic. try that and let us know.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2008 at 4:36pm by -johnny- »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!