Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just another newbie... (Read 1267 times)
only_me
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Just another newbie...
Nov 13th, 2008 at 7:03pm

Wow, this site has been a wealth of information already.

Hi, my name is Cathy.  I haven't been diagnosed with Cluster headaches, but I'm almost sure it is what I have.  It started about 6-9 months ago when I was woke up nightly by a pounding headache for a few days.  The first day was scary, I seriously thought I had a tumor, but the pain went away in about 30 minutes.

This cycle has lasted about a week.  Every night, about 1-2 hours after I go to bed, it feels like someone has stabbed me in my left eye.  In fact, it hurts to even open the eye.  Always lasts about 30 minutes.  Goes away pretty quickly, and my gosh the feeling of not having the pain is the best feeling in the world.

So anyway, I'm without insurance or much money right now.  I'm in my last of nursing school (which is where I first learned about them), so hopefully I can get sometyhing done soon.

IP Logged

BlueDog
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

SoCAL, USA
Re: Just another newbie...
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 7:16pm

I'm new also....  sorry for us but glad to find site.  i'm broke also so hoping the pain resolution won't be too expensive.... at least in nursing you have good access to information

best of luck to you and prayers for pain free days and nights ahead!

bluedog

I'm surviving it all!

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 7:24pm

Hi Cathy,
     No insurance sucks but you still have to get yourself under a good neuro's care.  Read and print all you can here.  take the cluster survey. click on the tab on the left of your screen.  Lots of other good info there too.
                                                Good Luck
                                                      JPC

IP Logged

only_me
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 8:09pm

I have been researching the site.  I have determined that my case is mild compared to most.  My clusters last about 30-45 minutes once a night, and as I mentioned it was in a several month remission.  I cannot fathom having the headache for hours as some have described.  I would have found my way to the ER I am sure. 

So far what works for me is deep massage to my left temporal area.  I take my palm and press down as hard as I can, until it feels like my skull is rubbing my brain.  A cold washclothe also seems to help.

I am a smoker also.  Seems to be a correlation between smokers and clusters I've noticed.  If I can fight off the nausea when having a cluster, it seems like taking a couple of drags helps the headache.

Anyway, look forward to the info here.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 8:26pm

Get some 02, since your a nurse it shouldnt to hard. get a non rebreather mask and give it a rip for at least 15mins at 10-15 lpm. it is a godsend. also get some melatonin and i usally go with 9mg 45mins before bed. predgnazone works for me too. Have a strong pot of coffee close by, and chug on the onset of a hit. also ice on the hit side helps too, but mainly you need to see a doctor and you need to get some oxygen. Be well. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 6:58pm

only_me wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 8:09pm:
I am a smoker also.  Seems to be a correlation between smokers and clusters I've noticed.  If I can fight off the nausea when having a cluster, it seems like taking a couple of drags helps the headache.

There is a correlation, but what precisely it is seems to be an open question.  Whether smoking predisposes people with CH tendencies to full-blown CH, or whether something about CH predisposes us to smoking, I don't know.

I do know that some here have reported that quitting smoking appears to have reduced the incidence of their CH.  Others, however, have said that quitting made no difference in the intensity and frequency of their attacks.

I also know that I began smoking years after I started with CH.  I still smoke, unfortunately (not a heavy smoker, but still....).  I can't say that it seems to make much difference either way--although a cigarette takes the edge off a shadow. 

No way I could smoke during an actual hit, though.  I'd set myself on fire, probably.   Undecided

Welcome, Cathy.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 9:51pm

you can always chu Coolg an energy drink that is high in caffiene and 1000mg taurine.
oxygen will be your best friend. only as described earlier.

high George!!!!!
Cool

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:01pm

I prefer ice to a cold wash cloth.  I put it on the back of my neck, my face and on the top of my head.  Some people use frozen veggies..... I hear that peas are the best.

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!