Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
topamax (Read 2241 times)
Louise Barham
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Columbia, South Carolina
topamax
Nov 25th, 2008 at 1:43pm

Does anyone know the chemical make up of topamax?  I have tried to find it with no success.  Adam wants to know because it is working very well for him.  He wants to know what the downside is.  I work in the Chemistry department at the Univ. of SC and would like to get one of our chemists to look at it.  Of course it may be here, right under my nose. Undecided

Thanks,
Louise

Louise&&Mother of CH son
weezerbarham  
IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Re: topamax
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 1:45pm

See Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 2:07pm

You are dumb and stupid on the medicine and it can cause kidney stones as well as memory problems.  You have to drink lots of water while on the medication.  It is a good medicine for epilepsy I took it for that years ago and it worked well for me.  I took up to 600mg for ch and it didn't help me at all.  I hope Adam finds that it works well for him.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 2:34pm

Louise Barham wrote on Nov 25th, 2008 at 1:43pm:
Does anyone know the chemical make up of topamax?

For me it's 50% can I get any dumber than this? And 50% where am I and what (TF) was I doing? Grin
(At 80 mg)
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2008 at 2:48pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 2:52pm

I have found being on Topamax just wonderful.

It has helped me create the most successful marketing campaign in the history of my business.
I was able to create a "dumbed down" non-technical campaign directed at politicians.

thank you topamax.....and it works well at dumbing down the intensity of my CH as well.
Paul
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2008 at 2:52pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

webgopher
CH.com Junior

I may get older, but I
refuse to grow up.

x0|Lafayette|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:22pm

Been taking it over a year - only 75 mg a day. Can't find words most of the time and colas taste like tin, but CH symptoms are much less. Had my first cycle ever this week and it was more of dull pain instead of what I used to get from single attacks. That reminds me - time for a shot cuz I feel the Shadow returning.

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:40pm

There are studies out there that indicate that 75 mg is optimal for treatment of CH , however, i have best results at 200 mg.

Once i am ramped up to that level, I am not "dumb" or "disoriented" and no memory issues as many report....my body adjusts quite well and I can operate normally.

I am however quite "dumb" on the way up to that level and I make sure i have no major decisions to make during the weeks it takes to ramp up and stabilize at my optimal dose.

Best drug for me in 30 years...not great, but best option so far...no other side effects for me other than diet pop tastes worse (always tastes bad anyhow in my opinion).

paul
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2008 at 12:41pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

ltltnt
CH.com Newbie

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:28am

Downside is KIDNEYSTONES... that is if you stay on fairly high dose over 100mg for any legnth of time.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:34am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:34am

Wondering what is considered any length of time?

I've been on 100mg of Topamax for a couple of years now,for CH as well as well as PTSD. The though of Kidney stones really freaks me out. I don't want to make light of the fact but it reminds me of that episode of Sienfeld when Kramer has a Kidney stone and passes it in the arena restroom!

I certainnly don't need any more pain in my life. Iddy

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:57am

Iddy wrote on Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:34am:
Wondering what is considered any length of time?

I've been on 100mg of Topamax for a couple of years now,for CH as well as well as PTSD. The though of Kidney stones really freaks me out. I don't want to make light of the fact but it reminds me of that episode of Sienfeld when Kramer has a Kidney stone and passes it in the arena restroom!

I certainnly don't need any more pain in my life. Iddy

I understand your concern, since i am a kidney stone sufferer and have been fairly regularly for 15 years, HOWEVER, since i have been on Topamax for the past 4 years, I have not a single stone attack...go figure..Topamax has prevented kidney stones for me!...just drink alot of water when taking it as is recommended, since 70% of the drug passes out the urinary tract and you should be ok.

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

ohioterpes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2008 at 4:45pm

my doc switched me onto this from toparol, but it is not working either.

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 9:56am

ohioterpes wrote on Dec 9th, 2008 at 4:45pm:
my doc switched me onto this from toparol, but it is not working either.

You mentioned 50 mg...that is not enough...75 is effective in some but most Cluster patients need at least 150 -200 mg to be effective. For me at 200 ,it does not eliminate the headaches but it does reduce the pain significantly from Kip 9/10 to generaly below 7/8 ...for me it is a well worth the effort for such a pain reduction.....especially when my body has been resistant to all other medications and treatment options....no complaints here.

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!