Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen... (Read 2610 times)
Jill
CH.com Alumnus

"Life is a series of goodbyes
and hellos" Billy J.

Sweden
Oxygen...
Nov 28th, 2008 at 5:52pm

Hi everyone...

I was completing the survey yesterday and it got me asking some questions or, rather, wondering some things about oxygen.

I know that not all treatments work for everyone but does oxygen seem to work for most people? Are there others that it does not work for?

I have tried it numerous times but it rarely ever worked for me and when it did, the headache escalated back up and usually worse than before when I stopped breathing it. I tried it different ways and kept breathing it when the headache was gone.. ten minutes, fifteen minutes, five minutes... all trying to figure out how to get it to work for me.

It seems that the oxygen being cold is a big part of the problem as that cold air seems to escalate the attack. And this becomes especially true when I attempt to breathe through my nose.. anything via the nose is a big no-no for me.

Jefferson allowed me to try the oxygen with a humidifier that warms the air but the saline had to be heated each time so I could not fight the attack as fast I should have. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I am thinking about trying it again and am hoping that I can find a way to heat it. Any ideas?

And, one more thing, I am moving back to Sweden in a week... is it hard to get it in other countries or is it similar to the US?

I figure that it will not to hurt to try again but I thought that maybe you all might have some answers to these questions.

Thanks so much,
Jill

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
WWW Worldshots2003 FarmerGJill  
IP Logged

mrs mac
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|tobermory|Scotland||0|0|
Re: Oxygen...
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 5:58pm

how long were you staying on it for at a time, sometimes if you come off it too soon it can cause rebounds

Sandra xxx

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 6:05pm

First, I am confused about your nose.  You shouldn't be using your nose when using O2 (except for maybe to exhale).  Are you using the nose cannule thingy or are you using a non-rebreather mask with reservoir bag?
Second, its funny how we all differ.  I like the cold O2.  I tried using a bubbler, but it warms up the O2 and it is not as effective.  I even tried ice in the bubbler to cool it but it still is not as cold, so I don't use a bubbler anymore. 

PF wishes
B$

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 6:37pm

Jill,

You can use an extra length of hose and wrap it around a hot water bottle to warm the O2 and a humidifier bottle to alleviate the dryness.

I got a letter in the mail today from Cigna that is very confusing and that leads me to believe that they want to cut off my oxygen. It is very cryptic in nature and says that after Dec 30th they will no longer pay Allina home oxygen. I will have to call those jokers and set them straight about the only thing that aborts for me!

I may be taking my own advice and heading down to the local welding supply store. I sure am glad I own my own regulator!

Roland. Angry

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 6:49pm

hey rolo, i dont want the same thing happening to me can you tell me where one might be able to aquire their own regulator?? Let me know Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 7:08pm

I always suggest buying your own regulator  and  a mask (I have a clustermasx).

Since I got them....I am saving a ton (even after insurance).

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 7:13pm

coach_bill wrote on Nov 28th, 2008 at 6:49pm:
hey rolo, i dont want the same thing happening to me can you tell me where one might be able to aquire their own regulator?? Let me know Coach Bill

Hey Bill,

There are several routs to go….And I personally would get one that goes to 25 LPM minimum.

Ebay for a used one,

Use a welding regulator for a cutting torch (has to be capable of high flow rate)

I purchased a new one myself capable of 60 LPM from Flotec Inc.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Rolo.. Wink

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 7:51pm

Thanks guys, this site is great!! Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 8:51pm

""I know that not all treatments work for everyone but does oxygen seem to work for most people? Are there others that it does not work for?

I have tried it numerous times but it rarely ever worked for me and when it did, the headache escalated back up and usually worse than before when I stopped breathing it. I tried it different ways and kept breathing it when the headache was gone.. ten minutes, fifteen minutes, five minutes... all trying to figure out how to get it to work for me.""

Jill
I am one of the others oxygen does not work for. In fact it intensifies the CH before I stop breathing it.

Never hurts to try again.

Oxygen by the nature of the way its released naturally gets colder through evaporation. You could run a pressure regulated line into a second low pressure holding tank warmed to room temp but it would begin to chill after a while of use as well.
There other methods like a heat exchanger but they get a little more complicated and expensive.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2008 at 8:53pm by MJ »  

MJ

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 10:33pm

Hi, Jill.  There's absolutely nothing that works for everybody.......  But used within reason, O2 doesn't accumulate 'poisons' in our bodies.  So it's worth a try, worth every bit of experiment.

As B$ said, we need to use a mask that tightly fits (pressed against) the face.  You may not be inhaling enough O2 per breath.

For years I used the typical old 8L regulator, and it still worked.....albeit not as fast or well.  I had no idea how quickly O2 can abort CH until I got a different regulator.  But the longer I wait to hit O2, the longer it takes O2 to work.  So at the first sign of ANY pressure building on my CH side, I take O2 to prevent it from developing into a full blown attack.  All the bad bad pains in the past were needless had I known how to use O2 more effectively, but part of our learning curve to live with CH.

To me it's *work* to use O2 as an abortive to a bad attack.  My body size is small, my normal breath is shallow, and Verapamil has slowed down my bodily functions.  If I wait until I hurt, I need to inhale deeper and faster (requiring a higher flow) that makes me feel like I ran around the block without running.  So I've learned that the best thing is to not let CH hurt me but quickly kill it by O2 while the pain is still no big deal.  It took a little experimenting, but it was so worth it to learn when I need to get to O2 and adjust my O2 intake to the degree of pain.  The dry and cold blow on my throat can surely hurt a little, but cough a couple of times and take a sip of water as needed.....and the very minor sore throat is gone after a few minutes of O2 therapy.  If one has a very sensitive throat, this might be a problem, but others can give you tips on the use of a bubbler and other tricks to make it more pleasant.

IP Logged

Jill
CH.com Alumnus

"Life is a series of goodbyes
and hellos" Billy J.

Sweden
Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 10:27am

Thanks all...

I did use the right mask and the right regulator - it took me some time but I got there! I did breathe the oxygen through the mouth but you know how when your nose runs, you sniff without thinking. If I even did that once, there was no going back because the headache would just increase. Also, when the oxygen is set at a high rate than that cold air hits everywhere.. does that make sense?

The cold air has been my biggest problem and it seems that the only way to heat the air would take time away from hitting the attack directly when I first feel that twinge.

I am wondering though, what is the bubbler? I have heard the word before but I am not sure exactly what it is. Is that faster at helping to heat up the air. It does not have to be hot but it has to take the crispness.

I appreciate the help and will try to figure out a way to try it again, maybe experiment a little to see what works.

By the way, Rolo, why is your insurance not covering the oxygen?

Thanks so much,
Jill

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
WWW Worldshots2003 FarmerGJill  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 10:35am

Jill, I hope they are just messing with me. They want me to switch to Apria.

Try the mouthpiece.. It works great for me and I haven’t used the mask at all since I switched to the mouth tube.

Good luck and hang in there!

Roland. Wink

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 11:04pm

Jill, To use the mouthpiece that Rolo is talking about you need to get a setup like the O2PTI that can be ordered from the 'oxygen info' link on left of this srceen (highlighted in yellow). Or go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. It comes with the mouthpiece and the cost is $25, but I suggest getting it with the 3 liter bag for another $12.76.

The mouthpiece will bypass any sinus irratation, while giving you the benifit of oxygen aborts. I have two of these units, but use the mask, and can say they are great. They were designed just for CH alone.                 Best of Luck, Don

Rolo, I had Apria for 12 years they're great, best thing is being all over the USA. Anywhere you go almost you can get O2.    Best, Skyhawk5
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2008 at 11:38pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 11:41pm

Skyhawk5 wrote on Nov 29th, 2008 at 11:04pm:
[size=14] but I suggest getting it with the 3 liter bag for another $12.76.

Get some big freezer bags and save yourself $12.00 Wink

I'm calling Apria Monday, Thx Don  Smiley

I would have to dig the old board to find the pic of what I call the Apollo 13 special!  Cheesy Grin

Failure was not an option! Who needs a stinking mask when you got a kitchen and some scotch tape. Wink

It was a paper towel tube taped into a freezer bag with the feed tube taped in the bottom corner. Necessity is the mother of invention and that O2 rig was proof positive! Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:04am by N/A » 
Reason: Because I can! 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!