Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The magic pill? (Read 7413 times)
Rolomatic
Ex Member

The magic pill?
Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:45am

I am starting this with a hit, so I’ll be back in 10-15 min (on the O2 @ 25 LPM) to elaborate.

The magic pill is a hoax you are playing into if you believe it??. When you have accepted the fact that you may be tied to a tank (and it is no fun) for several hours a day, and need your O2 supplier to get you the 3-5 M’s a week (failure is not an option) so you can be normal in some sorta way to your family and kids, YOU will have seen the light at the end of a endless tunnel.. The biggest thing for me was when I finally accepted the fact that it is what it is, and B’n about it just made life twice the struggle….so …I’ll just keep on keeping on with acceptance and harmony when it let’s me……

I really love my O2 X O2 X O2 X O2 X O2 X O2 X O2 X O2 X O2 X O2 X O2 X O2

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Re: The magic pill?
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:39am

Rolo, while I appreciate you trying to help people by trying to get them to understand the benefits of oxygen, there ARE those for whom oxygen does not help, and there exists a magic pill. I'm living a normal life at the moment because of etoricoxib and oxygen didn't work for me. Neither has it worked for DJ.

For Guiseppi I understand that magic pill has been lithium.

This post doesn't mean that I think oxygen is not worth it - I think nearly anything to get the pain away and normalise the life is worth it - but I also think that taking one pill before night is easier than keeping an oxygen-tank with you. Also the oxygen rarely takes away the background headaches. My magic pill does that as well.

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:49am

Munching on pickles, Roland?  Sure you're not pregnant??  Grin Grin Grin

I just had my date with O2 too!  Mere 5 min of low flow rate to kill the shadow that didn't even hurt Smiley.

Rosa, I'm counting on you to come up with a magic pill by the time you finish your med school.  Pharmaceutical grade LSD pills (no psychedelic side effects, only to prevent street-dealing!) would suit me fine Smiley.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:53am

Quote:
Mere 5 min of low flow rate to kill the shadow that didn't even hurt

I think some of these high flow rates that are mentioned are a waste of O2.  Your lungs can only transfer so much oxygen to the blood cells and anything left over is exhaled.  All this huffing, puffing and wheezing just has you exhaling O2 before your lungs can use it.  What does it matter how fast or slowly your breath as long as you're keeping 100% O2 in your lungs.

I'm 6'4", 230 lbs. and 7 to 8 lpm works just fine for me.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 9:35am

Bob P wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:53am:
Quote:
Mere 5 min of low flow rate to kill the shadow that didn't even hurt

I think some of these high flow rates that are mentioned are a waste of O2.  Your lungs can only transfer so much oxygen to the blood cells and anything left over is exhaled.  All this huffing, puffing and wheezing just has you exhaling O2 before your lungs can use it.  What does it matter how fast or slowly your breath as long as you're keeping 100% O2 in your lungs.

I'm not sure why it helps.  What you say here makes sense, on paper.  I would suffocate if i had 8 lpm. 

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 9:43am

MrsT wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:49am:
Rosa, I'm counting on you to come up with a magic pill by the time you finish your med school.  Pharmaceutical grade LSD pills (no psychedelic side effects, only to prevent street-dealing!) would suit me fine Smiley.

Haha  Grin I have to get into the university first, and that's easier said than done!

But I promise, pharmaceutical grade LSD will be the first thing on my mind after that  Wink

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 10:27am

Quote:
I think some of these high flow rates that are mentioned are a waste of O2.  Your lungs can only transfer so much oxygen to the blood cells and anything left over is exhaled.  All this huffing, puffing and wheezing just has you exhaling O2 before your lungs can use it.

I sorta agree with you, Bob.  When I really hurt in high cycle, I need higher flow rates and take very deep and fast breaths to abort the pain quickly, probably breathing out lots of O2.  If O2 supply were unlimited and cheap (don't ask me why, but even welder's O2 ain't cheap in San Diego), it wouldn't matter much though....  In the middle of a bad attack, I can justify the waste Smiley.  While in low cycle, just killing the shadow prevents attacks before they reach that threshold to hurt me bad in a hurry.

Quote:

I'm 5'2" and 105 lbs......so naturally I use much less O2 than you do.  And if the gender matters, I have less blood for my body weight than men to transport O2, utilizing less precious O2 probably.

And I've tried a good ole' 8L regulator.  I was afraid of collapsing the bag as I'm sure I breathe more than 8 LPM.  But I did okay as long as I don't try to breathe hard.  Wouldn't work well for mean attacks though.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:05am

Haha   I have to get into the university first, and that's easier said than done!

Rosa my money is on you!!!

I think some of these high flow rates that are mentioned are a waste of O2.  Your lungs can only transfer so much oxygen to the blood cells and anything left over is exhaled.  All this huffing, puffing and wheezing just has you exhaling O2 before your lungs can use it.  What does it matter how fast or slowly your breath as long as you're keeping 100% O2 in your lungs.

This is why I'm in love with my demand valve regulator. I'm a slow, deep breahter while getting hit. I exhale completely, inhale deeply, then hold it for 20-30 seconds, repeat! A high flow regulator would be spitting 02 into the atmosphere, wasting oodles of it. I use 2-300 pounds per attack out of an E-tank!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:29pm

MrsT wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 4:49am:
Munching on pickles, Roland?  Sure you're not pregnant??  Grin Grin Grin

I swear it helps for some reason. I know it sounds like a load of hooey! It has to be sweet pickles though, I eat them constantly MrsT.

If the O2 and lithium ever fail me, I will be on the wrong side of the bull pen gate getting mauled by a Brahma named Mr Twister! Cheesy

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:04pm

As to the 02 flow rate,apparently there's a difference in vasoconstrictive response to 02 rates in individuals, an example being the difference between smokers and non-smokers.  Dr. Rozen reported in 2005 that 30% of people with CH fail to abort an attack when 02 is delivered between 7 - 10 lpm and that they should not see themselves as oxygen resistant until they've tried 15 lpm.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

my best,

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:28pm

The "magic pill" is not O2 for me, but i am liking the idea of pickles.

Any particular brand of pickles work better than others? ...and any particular yoga position required when consuming them?

I really am counting on this one to work.

Think positive Paul think positive Paul think positive Paul

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:51pm

I have a really simple suggestion for people:

Use a mouthpiece in lieu of a face mask at least once as a test. Be sure that you are only inhaling through your mouth, then only exhale through your nose. See what flow rate you need to breath as fast as you want to. The whole point I'm getting at is that many people THINK they are getting 100% and they are not - there is leakage of room air with most (NOT ALL) masks.

I did this and found out that 15 LPM wasn't even close to enough. For years, I thought I was getting 100% O2 with my Clustermasx, but I wasn't. For all of those years, I could have been aborting faster.

I now have a mask that fits better and I need way more than 15 LPM just to breath normally - BECAUSE the leakage is gone. At 15 LPM, I now pull the 3 liter bag empty at 1/2 of an inhale, when I didn't before - with the same regulator.

Again, I'm not saying that everyone is like me. I am saying that I spent too many years thinking I was getting the best possible effect and I wasn't. Don't believe me? Spend the $1.00 for the mouthpiece and try it yourself.

In fact, I'm thinking about ordering 10 or more so I can mail them to people to try - just as a test of required flow rate. I'm also NOT saying that O2 works for everyone!

If it saves even one person, one minute of a real K10........

Marc

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 5:52pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 7:16pm

Guiseppi wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:05am:
I exhale completely, inhale deeply, then hold it for 20-30 seconds, repeat!

That really does make logical sense.  And the demand valve should pay for itself, especially with chronics or frequent episodics.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 7:25pm

MrsT wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 7:16pm:
Guiseppi wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 11:05am:
I exhale completely, inhale deeply, then hold it for 20-30 seconds, repeat!

That really does make logical sense.  And the demand valve should pay for itself, especially with chronics or frequent episodics.

There is no wasted O2 if you are breathing every ounce of what leaves the tank. With a proper mask, O2 goes nowhere but the bag, then into your lungs. Zero waste...... good to the last drop  Wink

I'm willing to admit that I'm a bit dense sometimes, so perhaps I'm missing soemthing?

Marc

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 7:27pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cheesy Grin Cool

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 7:32pm

What she's saying is that with a demand valve, when you're not inhaling, no air is flowing. If you're a breathe deep and hold guy like me, for the 30 seconds you hold your breath, with a standard 15 LPM reg, air is blowing by you. With a demand valve, there's no waste. Depends on your breathing style during an attack.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:07pm

Guiseppi wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 7:32pm:
What she's saying is that with a demand valve, when you're not inhaling, no air is flowing. If you're a breathe deep and hold guy like me, for the 30 seconds you hold your breath, with a standard 15 LPM reg, air is blowing by you. With a demand valve, there's no waste. Depends on your breathing style during an attack.

Guiseppi

Now I get it - the holding your breath part didn't sink in! You would need a 7.5 liter bag.  See, I said I was dense sometimes  Grin

From what I've read, CO2 builds up rapidly, reducing the O2 content available for your lungs, when you hold your breath. In particular, when considering the tidal volume vs. the total max lung capacity.

I take it that you find that this works better for you?

Thanks,

Marc

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:09pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:21pm

I've knocked out attacks in 6-8 minutes using a Clustermasx mouthpiece at a flow of 10-12lpm.  When I turned it higher, I found that I couldn't collapse the bag and O2 would leak out.  

Huh

eta: I don't think that a higher flow rate is necessary for some and vice versa.  It all depends on the breathing pattern and volume, right?
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:23pm by Melissa »  

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:36pm

Melissa wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:21pm:
I've knocked out attacks in 6-8 minutes using a Clustermasx mouthpiece at a flow of 10-12lpm.  When I turned it higher, I found that I couldn't collapse the bag and O2 would leak out.  

Huh

eta: I don't think that a higher flow rate is necessary for some and vice versa.  It all depends on the breathing pattern and volume, right?

Yup! If you used a mouthpiece, didn't inhale any air through your nose and couldn't outrun it, then it was too much.

I suppose I hammer on the point too much, but I discovered that that at 15 liters, I would empty the bag half way through an inhale and end up starving for air, without taking any deep breaths.

I was getting a lot of room air with my old setup(s) without even realizing it. As you pointed out, it all depends. I've become a huge fan the "breath deep, breath often" approach after NOT doing that for almost 12 years being chronic. It's not going to be the same for everyone.

I just don't want folks to suffer if they don't need to.

Marc

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:43pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:39pm

When I started the HF therapy, I could only take 12-15 and over time can now do 40 for 3-5 minutes. I can easily now take 25 constantly. I use the mouth tube and exhale with mouth and nose. I removed the exhale valve portion so the O2 has no restriction at all on inhale. It seems to work good for me but everyone has their own comfort zone. I have found that the less effort necessary to inhale, the more you get in. And for god sake don’t hold your breath! The key is to saturate yourself to the point that you tingle and are dizzy. Cool
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:44pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:42pm

Ungweliante, I am sorry to hear that! I have times as well.. DHE...

It has been a really bad year for many of us and I hope it clears soon!

Rolo... Sad Tell him to try the pickles? Cool
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:43pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:44pm

Quote:
The key is to saturate yourself to the point that you tingle and are dizzy. Cool

We're still talking about oxygen, right? Cheesy

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:50pm

All I know is that when my regulator only went to 8 lpm....relief took so danged long I don't know if it helped at all or if the hit was over.

Got a regulator that went to 15....abort in 15 to 20 mins.

Got a regulator last year that went to 25 (along with a demand valve from LINDE)   and I can abort a WHOLE LOT faster.  Hyperventilating does help also.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 9:13pm

Quote:

Cheesy Grin Cool

Just lookin at them and I am already feelin better.
Thanks for the smile Roland

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 9:23pm

The pain reflex is to hold your breath. You are scared and adrenalin is dumping (not good). You have to stay calm and breathe!!!! Don’t worry how bad it’s going to get. The more it hurts the more you need to fight the urge to hold your breath! Over time you will loose that urge to hold your breath and aborts will come faster and have less chance of relapse. Stay on it for several minutes after the pain goes away at a low setting 8-10 LPM. This really helps your chances of hit relapse.

Wink Wink Wink Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!