Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
22 Days to Abort a Cycle. Any Ideas? (Read 2999 times)
jason1212
CH.com Junior

I'm out of my mind please
leave a message

Tampa, FL USA
22 Days to Abort a Cycle. Any Ideas?
Nov 9th, 2008 at 7:53pm

I'm posting this in hopes of getting some feedback.  Let me give you a little background.  I have been mostly pain free for the last 2 years thanks to Verapamil with only a few scattered breakthrus nothing close to a full cycle.  I will be travelling outside of the US in 22 days for a 2 week vacation which I have been planning for a year.  About a week ago I started to feel as though I was ramping up for a new cycle now, even though I try to stay steeped in denial I am afraid I am in a full blown cycle.  Also, my episodes are (it seems) more severe than usual, like the beast is making up for lost time.  Obviously I know that as much as I would like to travel pain free it really is not up to me.  But damnit I am going to try my best.  My trip, which 2 months ago seemed like it would be such a welcomed reprieve is now looming over my head and driving me crazy.  Here is what I've concluded are my options:

1) Stick w/ the Verap. see if it clears

2) Detox from the Verap - try something else.
    I have read the "kilowatt" thread.  I have never tried
    Kudzu but I bought all the ingredients in case I wanted to try.

3) Stay on Verap. go back to Neuro for a Pred taper and possibly
    a nerve block.

I have inquied to a company about getting O2 while over there, no response yet but it's only been a couple days.

Also, I'm going to Amsterdam so I will be able to obtain shrooms over there.  I have never used them to abort a cycle or a headache.

Oh if I could just push the cycle back a month, maybe it's just wishful thinking.  I've travelled w/ the beast before and let me tell you it sucks.

Any ideas or anything I might have missed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: 22 Days to Abort a Cycle. Any Ideas?
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 10:02pm

What was the frequency of episodes before you began taking Verapamil?

Would it be possible to have your Dr up the dose?  I'd be reluctant to give up on what's working too quickly.

If the hits are regular enough, might a pred taper be in order?

Is it possible that you're stressing out thinking about having the beast along with you and that is leading to more breakthrough attacks.  I get them when I don't get regular sleep.  Could laying awake at night thinking about getting hit during vacation could be doing the same thing to you?

Just some food for thought.

You really can't do anything more than prepare.  Make sure you bring enough weapons with you.  Then go and have fun.  What will happen will happen.  Just make sure you don't miss out driving yourself nuts over it.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

jason1212
CH.com Junior

leave a message

Tampa, FL USA
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 11:49pm

Well, before the Verap. I was good for 2-3 cycles per year each lasting 2-3 months.  I am one of the lucky ones who normally does not get hit in the middle of the night, mine come around noon everyday.  This time around I've gotten a hit everyday for the last 7 or so at 2-3am.  So, it feels more like breakthroughs then a usual cycle but normally I don't get breakthroughs this frequently.  Currently I take 480mg of Verap/day.  My neuro always gives me a hard time about upping doseages.  I don't want to stop taking my Verap it has been a godsend and has worked for me far better than any other prevent I've tried and I've tried a bunch. 

As for me maybe partially being the cause of my current cycle, the answer would be a resounding YES.  Stress and anxiety (both good and bad) are powerful triggers for me.  I've also noticed a maybe psychosomatic element to my condition.  What I mean by that is it seems that if I am really worried about getting a headache, I will get a headache.  I know I shouldn't worry about it but it is so hard not to.

Thanks for the great advice Dennis.

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 7:11am

I would suggest tapering down and then back up on the verap but you dont have enough time for that,  and I would suggest asking your doctor before doing so.  With the limited time try the kilowatt3, get a pred taper and start it a couple days before you leave.  JMO but I was over there and could try shrooms I would,  but the cb site says that pred can interfer with the positive affects of shrooms for ch.  I havn't tried it so thats just what I have read.
  I hope you have a great pf vacation,    Phil

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 9:08am

jason1212 wrote on Nov 9th, 2008 at 7:53pm:
Also, I'm going to Amsterdam so I will be able to obtain shrooms over there.  I have never used them to abort a cycle or a headache.

Do yourself a favor, eat the shrooms!  I don't know many that didn't have success with this.    It's worth a shot.  I refuse to take Vera and Pred. so i don't know if that would interfere with the shrooms.  I stick to natures way Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2008 at 9:10am by Chad »  

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 9:47am

Quote:
With the limited time try the kilowatt3,

NOOOOO!!!!!! 

Kudzu is a calcium channel blocker just like verapamil.  You CANNOT mix this with verapamil without the supervision and approval of a Doctor.  This is a dangerous coctail that could result in heart rythm problems.  That would be a vacation killer. 

Always be careful mixing OTC remedies and perscription medications.  Always do it with the knowledge and approval of your Doctor.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 1:30am

i  aborted my last cycle with mushrooms. only took one treatment. i've heard of other sufferers  having the same luck with seeds. it took me about 10 days. you'll have to clean out your system from all that rx stuff you've been trying.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

jason1212
CH.com Junior

leave a message

Tampa, FL USA
Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 11:14pm

Well, still getting hit everyday but they're coming randomly.  I'm only getting 1 a day, they're pretty mild (only 1 that was above a k5) and I am able to abort using only oxygen for most.  Still debating whether or not to go to DR for pred.  Maybe I shoud look at this as an opourtunity to try new treatment.  I've been doing a lot of reading on the CB site.  Staying off the Trex at least 5 days prior shouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure if I have to stop the Verap too?  I'm guessing I do.  I dont know, the Veraps been pretty good to me.

IP Logged

Jett
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 4:04pm

I always take the verapamil together with lithium.  It seems to be more effective for me.  

I have been in a similar situation as you are in and have opted for a prednisone taper, but to make sure I knock out the beast, I go for 4 days on the highest dose (not 3) and then fours days of each lower dose (I foget the dose I take).  I try to avoid the prednisone because of the risk of joint problems, but my neuro says it's ok if infrequent and a last resort.

If I were to bet, I would count on you trying the shrooms in Amsterdam.

Good luck.  

IP Logged

HughB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 9:41am

My last cycle aborted with botox injections.  And, I looked years younger!  Good luck.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 9:46am

Botox injections X 3 did not work for me and at 3K a pop, a pricy endeavor.

Works for some and it did get the wrinkles out! Cool

IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 10:01am

i ate some mushrooms on the 28th of nov. and i havent had a hit since. i think the mushrooms worked, i really do. thats what im goona, eat some the start of the next cycle to have more concrete evedince.

life is great clean. thanks NA and rehab. clean date August 4, 2010
chris_kels 420chris420 cohen.chris@ymail.com  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:16am

ChefChris wrote on Dec 4th, 2008 at 10:01am:
i ate some mushrooms on the 28th of nov. and i havent had a hit since. i think the mushrooms worked, i really do. thats what im goona, eat some the start of the next cycle to have more concrete evedince.
Shrooms = homerun

I'm glad to hear they worked for yet another clusterhead!

Peace,
Chad

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!