Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Living in the Solution...not the Problem (Newbie) (Read 2487 times)
666ouch
CH.com Newbie

Live in the solution...not
the problem

Alexandria, VA
Living in the Solution...not the Problem (Newbie)
Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:47am

For years I have done anything but live in the solution. As a newcomer to this site I have learned so much about the demon that has been with me for 34 years. Having a support group and the conversation about O2 has given me so much hope. This post is kind of long, but I hope my experience may be of some help or just help you get to know me

I remember my first attack like it was yesterday. I was 14 and on a school outing. I was in a van full of rambunctious male teens at night on a country road. As we drove under the streetlights my head began to feel like a dentist was drilling my eye (as a child dental work did not include Novocaine). When we pulled into a General Store with all of it's lights I literally thought I was going to die from a hemorrhage or something.

So, for all of these years I have lived on and off with this pain that I would describe to Doctors and friends as a hot ice pick being jabbed into my right eye or like having brain freeze that won't go away. At the same time I would tell them that I would rather have all my teeth drilled without Novocaine, and I still would! I have taken all sorts of medication like Fiorinal, Fioricet, Ergot ,and Inderal. When I would have to go to the ER they would give me a shot of Demerol and Vistaril. This would take away the pain alright but it would also trash me for the next 12 hours.

In the early 90's I was prescribed imitrex which I thought was a God send until the insurance co. would not keep up with my need.
I tried more homeopathic methods of dulling the pain like hot compresses or ice, caffeine, exercise and sex or masturbation to increase my heart rate but the pain would go on for hours some times. Having some knowledge of street life I knew that I could get more doses of narcotics on the street for the money than I would have to spend on the imitrex that the insurance co. would not provide. VERY BAD DECISION!!! This just created a whole new Demon for which I am happy to say that I have another support group for.

From that time going forward I have relied on Imitrex, Maxalt, and Zomig along with the homeopathic aids. At a very desperate time without medication I was able to get relief through meditation. This was very situational and I have not been able do it since.

Prior to 11/19/08 my last attack was about 4 years ago. I was treated in an ER with Imitrex and O2. I walked out feeling like I had never had an attack, no train wreck afterward. All these years I have been hoping that the cycle was over, that I would not have to live through the hell any more.

Neither I nor the Medical community really understand the actual antagonist behind the attacks, but I do believe in cause and affect. This school of thought has brought me to believe that the cause of my attacks is basically stress. So, for all these years I have blamed myself for the headaches and not being able to be free from them. Like I haven't had any stress in the last 4 years, RIGHT!

Having recently begun a new cycle of pain I went right to the Doctor and got a prescription for Imitrex. 6 doses, a months supply, gone in a week. Feeling in the same all to familiar medication trap I talked more to the Doctor and the insurance co. about O2 and alternative meds. We decided on a supplement of Maxalt and a visit to the Neurologist before prescribing O2. I am feeling especially hopeful about the Neuro. appointment today. After having done some online research and finding this site I feel much better prepared to engage the Doctor in a conversation about O2.

After spending so many years in the victims seat I am now feeling empowered and actively involved in the solution.  First off, I now am able to acknowledge that I have a vascular disease for which I am not responsible. Secondly, I have found a group of people that are dealing with the same situation as I am. It never dawned on my that I could find a support group of cluster heads.

I now have hope and faith in a solution. Not a cure, but an effective and reasonable way to manage the pain. I no longer have to live in the problem, beating myself up for putting myself in such a painful place.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Being crazy is the only thing that keeps me from going insane!
WWW scheve1775@aol.com  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Re: Living in the Solution...not the Problem (Newbie)
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 10:08am

Welcome. 

"Living in the solution" is a very eloquent phrase!

We just call it living between hits. 

I'm a supporter, not a clusterhead, so I welcome you from the supporter's perspective.  Someone much more knowledgeable will be along in a minute to discuss anything you might want to know.

In the meantime, we're glad you posted!

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 10:30am

GREAT first post!

Welcome to the insane asylum family!  Most of us are relatively harmless, and when we meet each other, we usually leave our axe murdering personalities at home.  There has not been a messy murder in  ... at least a week.

And try not to let the other people here worry you too much.  I try to keep them all in line, seeing I am the only one that is sane.  Even Pat (Mosaicwench) has her good days.  Of course, BarbaraD, Linda_Howell, Mel, Purplydog, DonnaH, Helen (LeLimey), and others can be a bit much.  But then again, you have to cut them some slack.  After all, they are mere females.

On the serious side (yes, even I can be serious, on rare occasions):

You sound like you have a great approach and loaded with information for your visit with the neuro.  Taking an active part in your treatment is the best way to help yourself!  Remember, if this doctor does not work with you, or at least listen to what you have learned, there are other doctors out there ... Doctors, that the letters PHD, do not stand for "Piled Higher and Deeper" ...  SO, stay proactive in your treatment, and by all means, ask whatever questions you may have!

Again, welcome aboard!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 11:13am

ClusterChuck wrote on Dec 5th, 2008 at 10:30am:
Even Pat (Mosaicwench) has her good days.

Hey hey hey . . . . I resemble that remark!

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2008 at 11:14am by Mosaicwench »  

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 1:09pm

Ignore Chuck, the man is living in a padded room and plays with crayons! Tongue

Great first post! Attitude is more then half the battle with this condition and your attitude is great. Stress is funny with CH. For some, as long as they stay stressed, they never get hit! Others, like me, periods of sustained stress will bring on an attack.

REALLY push hard for the oxygen. If you're part of the lucky 70% or so it's almost miraculous how fast you can abort an attack. Ni Imitrex hang over afterwards!

Good luck with the neuro.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 1:19pm

Smiley  Great first post!!!!!!!

Welcome to the family.  Sorry you're a CH suffer but since you are this is the best place you could be.  Great folks here and a wealth of information and support.

Jackie

IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 1:52pm

Yes, it is a great first post!!

Please read all you can find here re: o2 and the proper mask, and the liters per minute necessary.  Before you even begin, someone will probably show up here to give you the info you need.

I'm no longer a sufferer (episodic for 28 years and now pain free since 1986) so I'm not about to give advice of that nature.  I'd probably have you on 2 ltrs for 15 hours or something like that.  Grin

Welcome.  The light is always on.

IP Logged

666ouch
CH.com Newbie

the problem

Alexandria, VA
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 7:05am

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement.

Yesterdays appointment with the neuro went well. She is patient and seems intelligent,and  knowledgeable about ch. She gave me samples for 1 Maxalt melt, 1 Relpax, and 2 Treximet. She upped my Inderal to 80mg and wrote prescriptions for Treximet and O2. She botched the O2 by writing 2 lit, by mask for 1/2 hr as needed. She wrote mask per my request but the supplier says they cannot supply mask unless the order is for at least 6 lit. I will have to wait until Monday to ask for this change. I have lived without O2 for this long I think I will make it until Monday, but what a bummer. The Neuro also ordered an EEG and a QST (what ever that is) and a sleep study because she thinks I might have sleep apnea.

In the meantime I am just getting hit once a day. Thank God they are coming about 9PM and not waking me up. By maintaining my caffeine intake throughout the day and attempting to drink as much water as I can and popping a Maxalt as soon as the right side of my face starts to swell I have been able to abort without going above kip 7 most of the time.

Peace to all Cool

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Being crazy is the only thing that keeps me from going insane!
WWW scheve1775@aol.com  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 9:25am

Actually, you need to tell the doc that all the leading neuros recommend 10-15 lpm with a non-rebreathable mask.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 7:51am

Jimi wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 9:25am:
Actually, you need to tell the doc that all the leading neuros recommend 10-15 lpm with a non-rebreathable mask.

AMEN!!!

2 liters with a nosey thing won't do any good. CALL her back and DEMAND the RIGHT O2 valve.  There's no reason to suffer if you don't have to.

If you have trouble with your insurance getting the trex, you might want to ask about Cafergot (ergotomine). It works better for me (without the trex side effects) and is cheaper. Several of us here use it instead of trex. For me it seems to last longer (about 8 hours usually). My neuro writes a script for 30 tabs and they cost about $35 (without insurance). Also comes in suppositories which work faster (about the same time as trex). I have to take it with phenergan cause it nasueates me, but what the heck....

Hope this is a short cycle for you....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Bunch of 02 pushers.

Listen to em.

Welcome and nice to meet you.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
the bb

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:49pm

666ouch wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 7:05am:
wrote prescriptions for Treximet

Gee Linda, they waste no time in getting out script's for it! Roll Eyes

Just an observation from the Treximet thread, no hijack intended… Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

666ouch
CH.com Newbie

the problem

Alexandria, VA
Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 5:09pm

Back to the Neuro today. She was not at all interested in my paper back up, as I figured. She said "I always prescribe 1 to 2 liters, I will have to look at my book" She wrote for 9 with an NRB. I told her to keep the paper work to read, she might find it interesting, and that I did not expect her to change her practice as a result of it. Plant the seed without damaging the ego  Cool Just got off the phone with Apria and we are all set for delivery tomorrow. Christmas is coming early for me this year. I looked at regulators on eBay and the are not all that much, just lots of different brands. I'm not sure which are better.

It's a good day in cluster town at least until 9:30PM

WWW scheve1775@aol.com  
IP Logged

Snapper21
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Front Royal VA
Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 4:53pm

Your description of a dentist drilling into your eye sounds the same as my description of someone standing on my cheek stabbing my eye with a toothpick. This is not the feeling I get when I get the CH's but its spot on with the feeling I get when I've drank too many pepsi's/coffee and not enough water to hydrate me after those diaretics. I religiously carry a bottle of water around with me at work all day. I noticed in the past before I learned I had CH's that dehydration could spawn an attack. I've had the same commercial water bottle that I've been refilling in the water fountain for close to a year now. When she gives, I'll have another ready.
Maybe it's just a solution for my case but you may want to try it.

Happy to see you've found support for both of your problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!