Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 help (Read 4340 times)
Mr Lunch
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

La Mesa, CA
O2 help
Dec 7th, 2008 at 2:01am

I have CH episodes once or twice a year normally lasting 3-4 weeks. I had O2 before but don't think I was using it correctly. It appeared, even though I was probably using it incorrectly, it did have some positive effects. After burning through 4-5 bottles of O2 I just couldn't afford it anymore. What do I need for O2 treatment?

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Re: O2 help
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 3:07am

Joel

That bodes well for it working even better if you get the right kit!

Look at the fixed posts above here about 02, I think all the info you need is there and if not- ask

Good luck

Wendy

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 3:32am

Hi Joel,

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

PF,
Steve

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW itotka  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 7:15am

Hi Joel. First off I do not think I have met you yet, so welcome. These folks here have helped me tremendously with dealing with CH's, so I will see if I can pass along some of the knowledge I learned to you.

You obviously have o2 already, that is the big part of the battle right there. You will need a proper non-rebreather mask, or a better version that is available on-line. The nose tubes do not work, as they restrict the amount of o2 getting into your system.
You will need a regulator that goes at least 10 to 15 LPM or up to 25 LPM that works better for some. I have to use the 15 LPM for it to work for me.
This is probably the most important step and that is to get on the o2 at the very first sign of an on-coming hit. When you use a non-rebreather mask be sure to cover the vent on the side of the mask to prevent any out side air what so ever while taking in the o2.
100% o2 at a high flow rate without any out side air at the very first sign of an on-coming attack.

Please give it another try as I can abort a hit within minutes for the hits that break through my Verapamil barrier. I hope you try the o2 again.
If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask away.

PF wishes,  Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 9:05pm

I like this style that doesn't have any vents, and has a super soft air cushion for a face seal.

Or, you can pop the mask off and use the mouthpiece with the rest of the rig. This is nice for highway use, as it's whole lot less obvious........

This type of setup is available through the link for Optimask found here on ch.com, or:

Marc

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 1:07am

Non-rebreather mask (no nasal canula), a regulator that goes up to at least 15lpm. You can also use welders O2 but don't tell them you are getting it for breathing. Others on the site have more info about this.

O2 works for over 70% of us to abort up to 90% of CH attacks, when used properly.

Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Mr Lunch
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

La Mesa, CA
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:36pm

Thanks again for everyones help.

My doc prescribed O2 on Tuesday. However, we are now waiting for Insurance "Approval" and my doc says that it can take a week or so to get approval. At the time I was agreeable but after being hit twice with CH's in the middle of the night since Tuesday. I don't think I can wait much longer... so I called the Mercy Medical Group to see if the O2 can get approved quicker. The lady was very nice and said the prescription is under review, but she would keep a eye on the prescription.  

Now I'm worried that I will wait a few more days only to be declined. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:36pm by Mr Lunch »  

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:45pm

You can get welders 02 without a perscription. Wink
Welcome and houdy

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:45pm

Mr Lunch wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:36pm:
Thanks again for everyones help.

My doc prescribed O2 on Tuesday. However, we are now waiting for Insurance "Approval" and my doc says that it can take a week or so to get approval. At the time I was agreeable but after being hit twice with CH's in the middle of the night since Tuesday. I don't think I can wait much longer... so I called the Mercy Medical Group to see if the O2 can get approved quicker. The lady was very nice and said the prescription is under review, but she would keep a eye on the prescription.  

Now I'm worried that I will wait a few more days only to be declined. Any suggestions?

Get yer wallet out and buy your own.

Potter

IP Logged

Mr Lunch
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

La Mesa, CA
Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:56pm

ok, how quick can I get this and what do you think it would cost?

So this is what I need:
  • Tanks (size?)
  • Non-rebreather mask
  • Regulator (that goes up to at least 15 lpm)

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:59pm

Quote:
Any suggestions?

Call them every half hour, until they get tired of hearing from you and approve it just to get rid of you.  Just kidding of course but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the most oil.  

None of us understand Insurance Companys Joel.   They'll shell out for some of our most expensive meds....but not 02.  Having a script is decidely in your favor.   If my above suggestion doesn't work...do this.

Take that script to either an Apria or a Lincare supply place.  They are nation-wide and to not find one in San Diego would be unheard of.  

Sit down with a manager.  Not the little twit in the front office...a manager.    Explain you have no Ins. and would they be willing to work out a cash deal with you.  explain it is for CH....not COPD or another condition.  A little tear in the corner of your eye might help.

I did exactly this and I pay 10.00 per e-tank.  Cash.  I'm in Redding, Ca. so tell them their managers up a tad North are doing this for folks with no Ins.  Might be a good customer relations benefit to them.    Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2008 at 7:01pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 7:20pm

Joel,

While you are doing what Linda said, you can go to a medical O2 supplier with your prescription in hand, and walk out the door with a few E tanks, regulator and mask. You may have lay out a few bucks for the tank contents now, but they will probably make you a long term rental deal on the regulator.

If oxygen works for you like it does for me, don’t let another day go by without it – one way or another. Get it and sort it out with the insurance company later. If they decline to cover it, follow the advice here and buy your own stuff!

Good luck!

IP Logged

Mr Lunch
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

La Mesa, CA
Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Thank you, thank you!

Just got off the phone with Guiseppi. He lives in San Diego and he said he would help me get all setup with O2. I'm actually very touched someone who I never met is willing to go out of his way to point me in the right direction.

I do like Linda's approach. That's a person who knows how to get things done!
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2008 at 7:44pm by Mr Lunch »  

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 7:44pm

Quote:
I'm actually very touched someone who I never met is willing to go out of his way to get me setup.

We do our best. You are in good hands with Guiseppi.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 8:16pm

This what we do to help another sufferer. Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #15 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 8:18pm

Hide all the AK 47's before gets there Joel.   Grin

I am soooooooo  kidding.  This is what we do around here.  Help others and I am so glad Joe lives near to help you.  Keep my advice in mind if or when the Insurance Co. doesn't want to come through for you.  I pray it does.

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #16 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 9:40pm

Joel, I have some medical O2 that you can have.  I'll call Guiseppi to see if I can add to what he has in mind to get you by until you are well set up.  I'll PM you my phone number too.

Linda, I so LOVE your attitude!!!!

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 10:23pm

You guys are the greatest!

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #18 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 11:04pm

Thank you Mrs. T.

My attitute comes from years and years of working with these 02 supply places, Ins. Co.s, as well as folks around here who have needed something in particular and I had to research it for them...oh not to mention that I've been chronic for 21 years.

I do not want to come off as some one who is a hard-ass though.   That is the least kind of person I am, so I hope you did not miscontrue that, in what I said.  I just know that if you feel strongly about getting help....you need to buck up..shoulders set...and demand what you need.

Linda

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:16am

Linda_Howell wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 at 11:04pm:
.............I do not want to come off as some one who is a hard-ass though................

Linda

Says who?  Grin Grin

I wouldn't want to get on your bad guy list Kiss Kiss Kiss

Way to go Joe and Mrs T!
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:16am by Marc »  

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #20 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:57am

No way I misconstrued your intent, Linda.  And I'm a total hard-ass when it comes to logic and doing "what's right", but I'm not a jerk.  Grin Grin Grin  Yeah, Marc, you don't want to piss me off.......lucky you got out of CA  Cheesy.

Joel will be set thanks to Guiseppi.  My husband is ready to set him up with welder's O2 if the insurance doesn't come through.  We live maybe 10-15 min apart, so any little help we can offer....

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #21 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:32am

Mr Lunch wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 at 7:41pm:
Just got off the phone with Guiseppi. He lives in San Diego and he said he would help me get all setup with O2. I'm actually very touched someone who I never met is willing to go out of his way to point me in the right direction.

Oh KERAP!!!  Ole Joe done fished you into his net, did he?  You poor guy!  Be VERY careful of him ... he pretends that he is a law enforcement dude, but in reality he is an axe murderer.

And, besides THAT, he is a freekin' LEFT COASTER!!!  I mean REALLY!!!  There ain't a one of them there left coasters that are worth a squat !!!

Oh, wait ... you are from the same area ... disregard my last paragraph ...

(Oye vay!! ... Just what we need is ANOTHER one from freak land!)

Linda_Howell wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 at 11:04pm:
I do not want to come off as some one who is a hard-ass though.

Yeah, she is only a "hard ass" when she deals with me ... (except, I forced her into a one year contract of "being nice" to me ... Heehee)

Chuck, the only sane and normal one on the whole site ...

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #22 - Dec 15th, 2008 at 11:40am

Joel, if you're ever up my way in LA and you're in trouble all you need to do is call me from the car - I've got a big 'ol welder's tank ready to go in my bedroom and that baby can really blast! PM me if you want my number.

David

This goes for anyone, btw.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #23 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 3:36am

Joel, Can't wait to hear, did you get to try the O2 yet?   Sure hope it works,  Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!