Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is this PAIN?!! (Read 962 times)
sickman108
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

What is this PAIN?!!
Dec 8th, 2008 at 12:19am

Literally, I have just discovered/come From Wip. Encyclopedia page on Cluster Headaches thru link to here. After reading that page I am needless to say very shocked and concerned. Allow me to back-up a bit and start with a description of the past couple days. I came down with the flu, or something similar, this week. On the third day I got a really REALLY bad headache. I regularly get bad ones like this. But this, was one of the worst. The pain during these episodes is unbelievable. It starts behind my right eye, or (later- after initial)  sometimes my left. Like my eyes are exploding and my forehead is gushing in spasms of agony. I curl up and jam my head straight down into the bed and try to force all my weight against it. Using my hands, I usually grope and press against my skull using palms and fingers to try and gain some relief. For the last two days, off and on, I have done this. Yesterday, it started when i woke up- but not as bad, then, after I took an afternoon nap, it really set in. As I said, I'm no stranger to this. Have had these headaches for a long time. Their frequency has increased over the last few years. They do seem to be cyclical, even seasonal. I have tried doctors many times. I don't think they really listen to me. Once, i was told, that the cause of my headaches was due to how hard I blow my nose. Can you imagine how ridiculous I found such an explanation. Chainsaws are polishing the inside of my skull!!- Do you have an antihistamine? I do however have a script for Maxalt 10mg, which yesterday, may as well have been gumi-worms. I spent about 10 hours writhing and trying not to pee myself. Last night I was reading included Maxalt lit. and came across the phrase: Safety and effectiveness of Maxalt have not been established for CLUSTER HEADACHE (what?) which is present in an older, predominately male population. I start to get curious, now tonight, I finally check the net and here I am. And- I am stunned to think that this apparently rare condition may be exactly what I am experiencing. What Is This PAIN?!!  

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Re: What is this PAIN?!!
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 7:16am

From the way you described your pain, it really doesn't sound like CH, but you need to see a Neuro and have some tests done to see WHAT it is.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 8:02am

This sounds more like chronic paroxysmal hemicrania. Clusters are almost always one sided with a sharp pain in the back of the eye like a hot soldering iron stabbing you in the back of the eye on the afflicted side. What you have described is familiar, and heard before around here. Do the doc’s keep telling you that you have a sinus infection?

I would try to get in to a HA neruo and try Indomethacin, paroxysmal hemicrania usually responds very well to it. Get er checked out.

Wishing you pain free times ahead!

Roland. Wink

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 2:02pm

Sorry your head is banging. You really need a dx from the neuro. Not the GP. Try an energy drink or coffee. Get out and run. Stimulate the vascular system, these will provide temporary relief from CH. Get to the neuro. Wink
all the best
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

mathieulives
CH.com Junior

San Francisco, CA
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 4:59pm

Get to the nuro. Sounds like you've got'em. Read everything you can on this site to learn more. Stay in touch with us, ask questions. Everyone here has diff points of view which is great to match closely what you may have if you CHs.

mathieulives  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 5:51pm

Hope you don't have em.  But if you do, you are in the right place.

Get a neuro asap and let us know either way.

All The Best
                             JPC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!