Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thank God I've found this (Read 1092 times)
sleepytimetea
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Thank God I've found this
Dec 10th, 2008 at 1:07am

My name is Justin and I am a thirty year old in Nashville, TN.  I remember when I was 17 on a trip to Myrtle Beach this feeling behind my left eye that I at first found curious but in a matter of minutes it brought me to my knees.  Before I knew it, I was taking Tylenol Allergy and Sinus like candy for the remainder of the trip because my nose was running and my eye was swelling, but just on the left side.  I returned home and went to the doctor, who said it was definitely a sinus infection.  I was administered some Antibiotic and a Prednizone shot and sent on my way.  This "infection" kept turning up about every six months.  At college, I finally couldn't take it anymore, so I went to the University Clinic where I was diagnosed with Cluster Headaches by a resident who was making her specialization Cluster's!  How fortunate.  Her insight began to let me look at my problem in a different light, although my remedies and treatments unfortunately haven't changed that much over the years.  It seems when I'm in the middle of my cycle, I become Zombie like and subconsciously go to the same old treatments.... and when I'm out of my cycle, I try my damndest not to think about it.... which I am determined this time to at least attempt to try something new and hopefully constructive.

I smoked from the time I was 18 until I was 27, and suffered many a headache under this time frame.  I quit smoking about three years ago and to my surprise, have been Cluster free, until two weeks ago.  So my "smoking is the cause" theory sadly has been tossed out the window.  I visited a friend in TX right before T-giving and as soon as I got off the airplane, I felt the all too familiar pressure bubble behind my eye.  But it subsided.  After a few days of alcohol and dry west TX air, it was full ready to rear it's head again as soon as I stepped off the plane in Nashville.  For two weeks I've been trying to remember old rememdies that have worked in the past, sleeping on the opposite side of the pain in order to let it drain (it makes sense in the moment), hot showers with Vick's Vapor rub caked around my left nostril, Zertec, tons of water, etc. but none of this except for the water seems to really help.  I have re-examined my health insurance lately as I don't use it that often, and have determined that I simply cannot afford, or at least don't think I can afford a trip to the neurologist.  I played football for 10 years and have had several concussions, a few that resulted in MRI scans, and I remember the 1995 price of those tests.  I cannot imagine what they are now.  So I am looking for "Alternative Remedies" if you will.  I have a solid fear of pills and will avoid them at all costs if I can.  I hate even taking Zertec, but if there is one that works, I'm sure I'll come around.  

One last thing, my current cycle is much different from ones in the past in that I get the bulk of pain about 1/2 hour after I go to sleep.  Then I wake up, go through my crazed ritual, I believe I read that we call it the dance here, and finally get it to subside enough to go back to sleep.  Then I wake up 1/2 hr later and repeat the whole process over again.

I am utterly exhausted and out of answers, although the one saving grace as this cycle's intensity is not quite as prominent as previous ones.  However the frequency and the longevity are much greater.  I hope these two don't learn to combine forces in the near future.  

Thanks for putting this board here as I have hours of reading through your various stories and rememdies!  I am really excited to have found such a resource and to hopefully learn some new methods on treating my head!

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Re: Thank God I've found this
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 1:59am

Hi Justin & welcome.
You dont mention oxygen therapy in your post, if you havnt tried it go to oxygen info box to the left of screen & read up.
Oxygen administered correctly is a saviour for a lot of us, it's cheap enough safe & has no side effects it is you could say a breath of fresh air & there's a heap of people here to help.

Cheers
Barry from down under.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 2:22am

Hi there, Justin.  Yes and yes to O2.....well worth the effort to work with it.

Some of us are lucky enough to find CH get milder and milder as we age.  And I've learned to treat each cycle with caution and not to assume anything.  I've rarely had daytime attacks this time, partially because I've avoided sunlight and physical activities (both bad triggers for me) like a plague and partially because CH became less mean.  Instead, CH started waking me up almost every night, sometimes shortly after I went back to sleep after the first wake up call.  I'm finding it interesting that the beast does change its pattern.

Ask specific questions, and there are plenty of us to share experiences and brainstorm with you.  Hang in there!

Are you anti- all pills or just pharmaceuticals?  If you're okay with nutriceuticals, there are some supplements that might help.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2008 at 2:26am by MrsT »  

IP Logged

sleepytimetea
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:12am

Thanks so much for the input.  Oxygen is definitely on my radar and is something I should try to get a hold of.   Mrs. T, I should have been more clear on the pills.  I am mostly anti- pharmaceuticals... you should see the amount of pills my parents swallow and then you'd understand!  I realize that in some instances they are necessary but  I can't help but see the $ signs in big Pharma and try not to support it if I can help it.  I am completely OK with vitamins and supplements.  If there are any you know of that could be of help, I would be greatful.  I know Kudzu is a big one, but any others?  Thanks again everyone!

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 8:36am

Hi Justin,

Please read over the following thread, and give it a try:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Several of us have had great success with this.  No guarantees, but it's the best approach I know of.  Let us know how things work out for you!

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

RichardN
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Crossville|USA,Tn
Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 3:03pm

Hi Justin and Welcome Home

You're about to get your life back!

Right now . . . 02 needs to be on your "acquire NOW" list.  It's cheap (if your insurance won't cover it), extremely effective for 70%+ of us to abort an attack.  If used at the first sign of attack, I can kill him in minutes. 

You mentioned several head injuries.  I'm a chronic "head trauma" CHer.  My attacks started after I nailed my noggin (1/01) . . . headaches started . . .regular doc visits, MRI,cat scan, non-working meds . . . they just got worse and more frequent.  My the time my wife found this site for me (2/02), was having 6-8 attacks per day, sometimes 3-5 at night . . . I was an exhausted basket-case.  After reading and coping info off this site I took to my GP and DEMANDED a change in my treatment.  Within 2-3 weeks I had the first PF day in over 13 months (had 3 that night, but had 02 to kill them) . . .and it was a WONDERFUL day.  I  finally had some control over the beast.

You mentioned some success with water.  I assume you've read the "water X 3 link" on the left.  It is now my preventative.  It was Verapamil that did the trick for me til 04' when I had surgery which required/requires that I drink large amounts of water daily . . . . if I cut my intake by 1/3-1/2 on any given day, I can count on getting a hit . . . . but I'm never far from my 02.

Definitely TODAY go to the health store or supplement rack at the drug store and get a bottle of Melatonin.  I would step up the dosage . . . 6 - 9 -12 mg, taken about 45 minutes before bedtime helps many with the night hits.  This is to get used to the grogginess that you can get from Melatonin.   If you get a breakthrough hit, you can wake and it can take you a minute to realize what woke you . .. "oh yeah, HIM again" . . . and reach for the 02.

I'm in Crossville, and sometimes get to Nashville.  But for now, if you'd like to call me, I'll pm you my ph number.

Welcome to the family,

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lastchantsranch  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!