Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reaction to imitrex injection? (Read 3027 times)
Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reaction to imitrex injection?
Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:06am

Hey,  I'm a 23 year old paramedic and 10 year episode sufferer of CH, but just recently have been actualy diagnosed.  I took my first imitrex injection today.  and it worked great! and I'm am very excited about that!  However I had a slight reaction as well. Burning all over,  sort of like putting menthol on your skin.  it kinof tingled and it kindof burned.  mostly on the back of my neck.  Also tightness in all of my muscles.  It was a very odd feeling and I'm not sure I liked it, but ....Hey it was much much better than an attack.  I guess my question is:  Has anyone else out there had any similar reactions to the injections.  I was concerned that this was an allergic reaction but I had no difficulty breathing so I let it slide.   I'm a paramedic and I think it safe to say If I need to use it again I'll be at work were treatmnet can be instant if it is a reaction.  Any thoughts or similar experienses please share.

idreamofire  
IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Re: Reaction to imitrex injection?
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:48am

I would call my doc (gp or neuro) with ANY strange reaction to Trex ASAP.

Just my 0.02€

Oliver

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:08pm

I have had these reactions for years,  sore musles and joints, burning skin.  When I mentioned it to my doctor he didn't seemed too concerned.
  I started doing half doses of imi and some of these reactions are lessened.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:25pm

Headache. 2004 May;44(5):414-25.Related Articles, Links
Consensus statement: cardiovascular safety profile of triptans (5-HT agonists) in the acute treatment of migraine.

Dodick D, Lipton RB, Martin V, Papademetriou V, Rosamond W, MaassenVanDenBrink A, Loutfi H, Welch KM, Goadsby PJ, Hahn S, Hutchinson S, Matchar D, Silberstein S, Smith TR, Purdy RA, Saiers J; Triptan Cardiovascular Safety Expert Panel.

Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA.

BACKGROUND: Health care providers frequently cite concerns about cardiovascular safety of the triptans as a barrier to their use. In 2002, the American Headache Society convened the Triptan Cardiovascular Safety Expert Panel to evaluate the evidence on triptan-associated cardiovascular risk and to formulate consensus recommendations for making informed decisions for their use in patients with migraine. OBJECTIVE: To summarize the evidence reviewed by the Triptan Cardiovascular Safety Expert Panel and their recommendations for the use of triptans in clinical practice. PARTICIPANTS: The Triptan Cardiovascular Safety Expert Panel was composed of a multidisciplinary group of experts in neurology, primary care, cardiology, pharmacology, women's health, and epidemiology. EVIDENCE AND CONSENSUS PROCESS: An exhaustive search of the relevant published literature was reviewed by each panel member in preparation for an open roundtable meeting. Pertinent issues (eg, cardiovascular pharmacology of triptans, epidemiology of cardiovascular disease, cardiovascular risk assessment, migraine) were presented as a prelude to group discussion and formulation of consensus conclusions and recommendations. Follow-up meetings were held by telephone. CONCLUSIONS: (1) Most of the data on triptans are derived from patients without known coronary artery disease. (2) Chest symptoms occurring during use of triptans are generally nonserious and are not explained by ischemia. (3) The incidence of serious cardiovascular events with triptans in both clinical trials and clinical practice appears to be extremely low. (4) The cardiovascular risk-benefit profile of triptans favors their use in the absence of contraindications.

Publication Types:
Consensus Development Conference
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
Review

PMID: 15147249 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:25pm

Here in Germany these symptoms are listed in the package insert with a nice reminder to contact your doc about them ASAP as they could be pre-symptoms of more severe things.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:30pm

I have Imitrex stat injection kit with me at all times but have yet to use it, so do not know how my body will react to it.

I use 1oo% o2 to abort my hits and I get NO side effects what so ever. Can you get a script for o2? I highly recommend it!

Barry Wink

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:54pm

I've had similar reactions, or variations.

I've tried to convince myself that "it hurts so good."

One time I was out on a boat in the Virgin Islands, getting sunburned, snorkeling and had to inject - as I was in charge of the boat. Injected in my arm and it started to welt up. Scared the crap out of me but smiled nervously with my passengers and hoped for the best. Half hour later all as well.

Made it to tell the story.

Scott

IP Logged

Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Thank you all very much for your input.  I did contact my dr. and he didnt seem to be concerned.  He suggested that I try verapamil as a preventive.  and maybe switch to the nasal spray to see if that gets rid of the undesired side effects. To be real honest I'm ok with the side effect as long as the attack is aborted.  I can deal with a hot flash.  The beast however is a different story. Bless  you all!

idreamofire  
IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 4:06pm

I'm sort of surprised that anybody's very first Imitrex injection isn't administered under care, i.e., urgent care, neuro's office, etc.  My neuro insisted on it, and she wouldn't prescribe it until she was sure I could tolerate it.  So I induced an attack and went to urgent care who immediately called my neuro to verify it.  My first shot was administered by a nurse who stayed with me the whole time, telling me I'd feel some tingling and tightness around the neck and possibly the jaw.  Obviously I had no heart attack, vomiting, difficulty breathing, etc. (at least at the time) to finally receive the prescription.

Yes, it feels very weird.

IP Logged

Nyteguardyan
CH.com Junior

Someone pluck out my right
eye please.

Port Republic, Maryland
Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 4:10pm

Dreamofire wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:06am:
Hey,  I'm a 23 year old paramedic and 10 year episode sufferer of CH, but just recently have been actualy diagnosed.  I took my first imitrex injection today.  and it worked great! and I'm am very excited about that!  However I had a slight reaction as well. Burning all over,  sort of like putting menthol on your skin.  it kinof tingled and it kindof burned.  mostly on the back of my neck.  Also tightness in all of my muscles.  It was a very odd feeling and I'm not sure I liked it, but ....Hey it was much much better than an attack.  I guess my question is:  Has anyone else out there had any similar reactions to the injections.  I was concerned that this was an allergic reaction but I had no difficulty breathing so I let it slide.   I'm a paramedic and I think it safe to say If I need to use it again I'll be at work were treatmnet can be instant if it is a reaction.  Any thoughts or similar experienses please share.

Great to see another Paramedic! Sorry we both suffer from this crap...but I have the same reaction to Imitrex, pill or injection. Injection is worse than the pill though.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW ffemtp22560  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 6:58am

Hello. During my last cycle i was given imitrex for the 1st time. I was a little nervous as the doc did no prescreen tests for any reaction, just gave it to me. yes there is a warm feeling involed and it went all the way to the top of my head and then started to burn more but the attack was gone. i did a total of 6 imitrex shots and each time it was the same, it is what promted me to find clusterbusters.com and since clusterbusters the only things i have used to abort these attacks are Rc Seeds and 02. Good luck Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 7:57am

As an episodic sufferer I've been using Imitrex for over 15 years, and I only notice very minor side effects, who'll disappear in 5 to 10 minutes over I've taken the shot.

They are these:
Stiffening of the neck
Getting tired
A funny taste in my mouth
A slight chemical smell in my nose

But as said, they always diminish very quick.

Pascal.

Modified to add:
I forgot to mention I sometimes get a ''stoned'' feeling for a couple of minutes.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2008 at 7:58am by maalstroom »  

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 1:17pm

So I picked up the nasal spray this morning. Used it twice already today and it doesnt work worth a piss.  started of the morning with a kip 5 and im on the downhill slide (I hope) of a kip 7 thats lasted for about an hr.  I think I'll stick with the injections, the side effect kinda suck, but still MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the beast.

idreamofire  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 1:27pm

I get several consistent reactions to Imitrex injections.  The effects are less after I switched from the 6mg stat dose kits to the 4mg. 

Initially I feel a tightness in my head and chest and sometimes in my arms.  For about two hours I feel it in the back of my throat.  Hot coffee, which I live on, burns after a shot for about two hours.

My Dr wasn't concerned about these effects though. 

I dislike the side effects so much that I made the effort to try Oxygen.  It works for my almost as quickly and has no side effects.

You are a paramedic, grab an e-tank and a high flow regulater with a non-rebreather mask and give it a shot.  Make sure you cover the holes on the side of the mask so no outside air gets in.  Use a flow rate as high as you can get.  Just make sure you're sitting down in case you get dizzy.

So when I get an attack it's O2, then if it's stubborn and energy drink followed by more O2 and then Imitrex.  Using this strategy I only used four injections during my last 12 week cycle.

I hope you give it a shot and I hope you're one of the %70 club for which it works.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

sheep2blue
CH.com Junior

x0|lavina|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 1:49pm

Trex inj side effects start in my legs and move to my chest, arms and head.  It does feel sort of like a heart attack when it gets to my chest---really heavy feeling--, but it stops a bad CH.  Side effects don't last nearly as long as my head would.

I only use the injections if 02 doesn't work, or isn't working fast enough.  Usually the 02 does the trick. Smiley
Tabitha

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 5:29pm

Get yee some OXYGEN!!!  O2, O2, O2, O2, O2, O2, O2, O2, O2, O2, O2 ...  Do you get what I am trying to say?  LOL!

As far as the Imitrex goes, I get a tightness in my chest, but other than that, no reaction.

On the left side of your screen, go to the tab that says imitrex tip ... It tells you how to split each shot in half, or even in third.  I don't take full shots.  It extends the use of a VERY expensive drug, and it also cuts down on the side effects.

It can't hurt to give it a shot (I know, very punny!  LOL)

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!