Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie to the Board but longtime sufferer (Read 821 times)
jgkirk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Newbie to the Board but longtime sufferer
Dec 26th, 2008 at 7:03pm

First time trying this message board but have been a CH sufferer for 30 years. Imitrex injections, along with verapamil and oxygen are my usual medications, but was on 320 mg of verapamil and stopped a month ago as it was giving me high anxiety attacks - hadn't had that before although the CH attacks make for some anxious moments. Can feel the CH's creeping back so am thinking about restarting the verapamil again - anyone experienced something like this before?

CH's typically start with a nocturnal hit, then I will do a 9 day prednisone transition along with 320 - 480 mg of verapamil. My Ch cyle is usually 6 - 8 weeks with 12 - 18 months in between. Have been told by neurologists to extend the prednisone treatment 80 mg for a week, taper to 40 mg for a week, then 40 mg for 2 weeks, taper for a week to 0 - anyone done this before? Most articles I have read discourage taking prednisone for longer than the 9 days. Just started with oxygen so haven't tried it with the full on cluster headache. Any suggestions or comment appreciated.

John
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2008 at 7:56pm by jgkirk » 
Reason: Wanted to add more history 

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Newbie to the Board but longtime sufferer
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 4:30pm

Sounds like you have a doctor who's really up to date on CH, you're a lucky man!!! I don't have any experience with verapamil as lithium is my prevent of choice. On oxygen:

For oxygen to be effective, your lungs must get only pure oxygen. No outside air, no air you've exhaled. This is accomplished by using a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM, using a Non Re Breather Mask. That part is CRITICAL.  Re Breather masks and nasal canulas let in outside air, diluting it, makes them all but worthless for CH.

Get on the 02 as soon as you get the tingle. The sooner I get on it the sooner i can abort, in as little as 6-8 minutes. Hope it proves as effective for you!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

sheena.t
CH.com Newbie

If it aint broke why fix
it

SW England (UK)
Re: Newbie to the Board but longtime sufferer
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 5:28pm

Hi John
I'm a newbie to the site also, My route has taken the O2 and sumatriptan direction, my doc has not recommended verapil for various reasons. This is the place to get the support and advice of the drugs and dosages etc right?

Welcome Smiley
sheena

Maddoglady and proud   ! ! !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!