Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
13 year old suffering. (Read 6501 times)
rachel2w2
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

13 year old suffering.
Jan 19th, 2009 at 2:13am

Hi, My name is Rachel. I'm 13 years old and I suffered from Cluster Headaches. They SUCK! More than anyone who doesn't have them, or who hasn't seen then first hand could ever know. I got rid of them though! I went to see a pediatri neurologist who diagnosed me with them, then he proceeded to get me a steroids shot. It took about 20+ for me to actually stop hyperventilating enough to actually lie down on the table and let the nice lady poke me in the but... But totally worth it! I got a pack of pills also, steroid pills to take for a week, 7 the first day, 6 the next, then 5 and so on. And a bottle of pills to take once every day. But enough of my treatment [which I am SO happy I got!] I'm not sure when they started, but I know they were NOT as bad at first. They were just seemingly harmless headaches! seemlingly the key word... and then they escalated untill I would be crying in my moms arms on the couch. And one night it was just too terrible to take, so we got in the car and were off to the ER... and then I got some vicoden... woo what a big help that WASN'T! [however it came in hady when I sprained my ankle a few months later] But the time before the neurologist was HELL. I couldn't stay the night at friends houses because I was too scared of when the next attack would be, and at home it might have been worse, I was afraid to go ANYWHERE without my mom. It usually was the worst at about 10 o'clock... just in time to be TRYING to go to sleep. But probably the worst part was making my mom feel apsolutly helpless without my consent! At anytime after 10 I would be laying in bed in fear just waiting and also trying to sleep, then they would hit so suddenly, with no 'work up to it' or any of that. then about 10 minute of hell later it would be gone, and in its path of destruction was sweat, and tingly fingers and toes from the bloodrush of hyperventilating! SUCKS! well Im feeling tired now so Im going to hit the sack... but thats for reading my novel of venting Cheesy

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Re: 13 year old suffering.
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:49am

Hello Rachel,

You say you're on steroids and that concerns me greatly especially at your age. They can do a lot of damage to your skeleton etc How long have they given you on them and is it a repeat prescription if you need more? one week of steroids is how I'm reading it but I want to be sure and not just "think"

I have a small son with CH too so I know how tough it is, I'm both a sufferer and a mum of a sufferer so I'm in a good position to talk to both you and your parents (who I hope you will get to come along and read here also!)

From reading - it sounds like your attacks last approx tem minutes or so? Is that right?

I know I sound like a nosey old bat but I DO have reasons for asking, CH is one of a group of headaches called TACS - Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalagia
(sounds much better than CH doesn't it?!)

There are a couple of variants on a theme that respond to different medication and it can be quite hard to tell them apart. One that typically has shorter intense periods is PH or Paroxysmal Hemicrania. The pain is the same, the symptoms are pretty much the same, the main difference is duration of attacks. The good news is there is a treatment for them which is highly effective, works for just about everyone with PH and starts to work within a week to ten days so doesn't have the huge build up that other CH drugs have. You could try it to see how it helps whether you have CH or PH as it's commonly used to help diagnose which is which anyway. The med is called  Indometacin and I definitely would like to talk to your parents about this with you too of course. I think its very important you are all involved in your treatment and it's wonderful to see you taking ownership of it!

On another note, PH is commonly overlooked in diagnosis as it's rarer than CH. A friend here refers to them as "Posh Headaches" and Common Headaches" because she has PH and I have CH (and she's mean!!)

There is a lot of info here to absorb and talk about for you, please come back with any questions or comments you may have, we'll be delighted to help.

I'm also happy to email or to telephone if that helps. I know that sounds very disturbing when some nutjob off the internet offers to call but you can check me out! My name is Helen Williams and I am the Vice President of OUCH, The Organisation for the Understanding of Cluster Headaches.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I really would love to see your parents come here for help and support too - I know only too well how hard this is on them. It crucifies me seeing my baby suffer, it's a million times worse than getting hit myself

Take care of you, looking forward to hearing more from you

Helen

IP Logged

Felicia
CH.com Old Timer

You can never change me.

Daytona Beach, FL, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 12:22pm

Hey sorry I'm late!!! I can never be on time just once in my life. Anyways, hi, I'm Felicia. I'm 16 and have been supporting a clusterhead since I was 7. Now I'm the cluster"kid" welcome wagon(I have a post in the newbies board if you're interested). I'm here so that us "kids" (because CHer's are much older than we actually are) can stick together. I'm here to give advice and listen and do what ever I can to help. Listen to Helen and any others that try to help. We're here to do everything we can to help stop/ease your pain. Guess that's really all I can say. Welcome to family honey. We're here and we understand.

Broken

I won't let myself down even if it means I can't make you proud. Its my life I gotta do what I feel is right. No one can stop me now. This clusterhead child is gonna show the world how
Felicia They.Call.Me.Alice little_black_flame@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:26pm

Rachel,  Is there anyway you can get your Mom to post here?  A 13 yr. old shouldn't be dealing with this alone and m,aybe we can all give her some help.  As Helen said, Doctors giving you Steroids and Vicodin to a 13 yr. old is very worrysome to us here.

Please try to get her to post, O.K.?

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:03pm

Stay AWAY from the Vicodin or its generic name "HYDROCODONE".

My 10 yr old son is an episodic CH. Was your mother with you at the doc when he/she prescribed you hydrocodone?

I am venting now! How dare any doctor prescribe hydrocodone to anyone under the age of 18.

Please, please keep in mind we are not griping at you. You are 13, I'm sure you get enough of that at your age alone! Smiley

I agree to have your mom come on here and chat with us, and i URGE you also stay on here also and vent away sweetheart!!

How many days have you been in cycle? Can you describe your pain location and frequency to me?

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 7:46pm

Kimmie wrote on Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:03pm:
Stay AWAY from the Vicodin or its generic name "HYDROCODONE".

i never had any luck with vicodin. rachel has your doctor said anything about oxygen therapy?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 2:34pm

Unfortunately, I don't think Rachel can hear you.  She was last online here on January 19th.

Hope all is well with her.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 2:49pm

i hate it when they post 2 or 3 times then leave. hope shes ok

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!