Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using O2 therapy. How safe is it? (Read 2527 times)
niva
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Using O2 therapy. How safe is it?
Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:10am

We have all heard and experienced the usage of O2 as a remedy to overcome the CH's. However, there has been no discussion on how safe is it for us to be taking oxygen at such high levels.

May I request you all to generously give your views and share your personal experiences on the usage of Oxygen as a therapy to control CH.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: Using O2 therapy. How safe is it?
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:32am

Edited to add:  The following comments are for those that have health lungs, and respiratory systems ... COPD sufferers are a totally different story!

Well, I have never seen ANY medical report that conclusively finds a problem with high flow oxygen, for the time that we use it.  I have seen some reports, stating a problem when used in the hyperbolic chamber, but never with the atmospheric pressure that we use it at.

I also think of all military pilots who use it for two and more hours at a time, when flying in the fighter jets.  They have been doing this for over 60 years!  The military has studied it quite a bit, and found no ill effects.

There are more and more of us clusterheads that are using it, at high flow rates, up to 60LPM.  Some of us use it 10, 12 15, or more times, during a 24 hour period, and NONE of us have shown any problems with its usage, at those levels.

So, from what I have read, and seen, I think oxygen is one of the safest of all abortives.  It is definitely safer than any triptan!

And you know what?  Even if there is a remote chance that it could cause a problem, WAY down the road, I would still use it.  The quick abort is SO worth it!

Just my view on the topic ...

Chuck
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2009 at 1:57am by ClusterChuck »  

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 12:01pm

I agree with Chuck's comments. After many hours of research, I can only find problematic references to:

- People with existing pulmonary/cardiac/vascular problems
- Long term use at higher pressures i.e. hyperbaric chamber, diving, etc
- Long term continuous use expressed in hours/days - not minutes

At this point, it certainly appears to be far less dangerous than many of the drugs being used to abort.

For me, very high flow O2 therapy works in 4-8 minutes about 90-95% of the time. Only on rare occasions do I have to go out to 15-20 minutes.  

As far as I can tell, there have been no detailed studies, nor negative anecdotal data on the effects of such limited exposure.

Marc
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2009 at 10:37am by Marc »  

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 10:39pm

In the bad old days before we knew about higher delivery rates, now that sucked. Now I can usually abort in 8 to 10 mins. at 15LPM.
  I will be getting the proper gear with higher flow rates and poss. a demand valve. I've experienced no problems of any kind and get quicker aborts than with the Imitrex infections. Man ya' can't beat that.
  Go to the Lifegas site linked to this site, and get a proper mask. I have seen no research indicating it's anything but safe. Of all the meds. I've taken with little or no success that had definite side effects, I'm currently moving into Level 2 meds. O2 seems by far the safest and most economical abort.
Obviously, as stated if you have cardio/pulmonary probs. seek out the opinion of an MD or Neuro. Even Imitex is not to be used if you have heart probs. and my biggest fear was that in my old age, I may be denied the needle, I find comfort in knowing I now have yet another option. It's all good...... Wink

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Jim R
CH.com Hall of Famer

Always question authority....

Laconia, NH
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 4:27am

O2 is the least of anyone's problem!  Sometimes, when they're bad it doesn't even work for me.  Then it's the ER and massive doses of narcotics - I wouldn't worry about the O2 at all - it's what we breathe eveyr day....

Jim R

"Hammer of the Gods..." (pounding on my head...) Proud member of OUCH&&Episodic Clusterhead since 1978
jalesriley  
IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 2:37am

Oxygen is pretty harmless compared to other medications used for CH. Unless your wife has major lung disease, breathing 100% at 15L/min or higher for 15-20 mins will not cause any problem.

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2009 at 8:53pm

The O2 companies should build a monument to Chuck and I for the amount of O2 we have gone through over the years. And we are two of the oldest, healthiest, sanest members of the board. Just ask anybody that doesn't know us, and they'll confirm it.
   Trust me on this one. Unless you have a secondary condition that precludes the use of O2. It is as we say in the Bering Sea, "Safe as houses". So suck it up, you suckers.

Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!