Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone experienced.... (Read 1324 times)
Gigi
CH.com Junior

Praying for pain free
time for all of us!

Winston-Salem, NC
Anyone experienced....
May 22nd, 2009 at 5:50pm

I had a huge C5-6 disk rupture directly onto my spinal cord in January.  On the 26th of January when I got into to see my doctor he sent me to have an MRI. The radiologist that read the films called the results back into my doctor and I was put on bed rest until I could get in to see my Neuro Surg., due to the danger of me becoming paralyzed.  It was only a matter of days until I got into see the Neuro Surg.  I had my surgery on 2/13/09.  I had a cervical fusion w/plate and screws; and he said I had degenerative disk disease; he said the disk above or below was moderately worn and I eventually would have to have them done also. He also said it could take up to a year for my hands, arms and shoulder blade symptoms to go away or I could end up with permanent nerve damage.  They will not know until then.

Well, needless to say the surgery through me in cycle Cry.  The last cycle I had was back in 2005.  Dealing with the muscle spasms in my neck and the cramps and numbness and burning sensations in my hands, arms and shoulder blades has been unreal, and the beast just waiting to pounce at any second also.  Cry  

My question is my doctor is wanting to put me on Neurontin or Lyrica, he says this would help me with the nerve pain & the clusters.  Anyone w/any experience with simuliar circumstances?  I have heard that some people end up having seizures as a side effect of these meds and that the seizures didn't go away when the med was stopped.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Praying for understanding & PFD for all,
Gigi

Pain-free days and nights to all! W/Lots of Love,Gigi
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
greenwinglove  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Re: Anyone experienced....
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2009 at 5:19pm

Hi Gigi = I don't know about these medications, perhaps you should copy/paste the question under the Treatments/Medications heading.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Inventive_Mind
CH.com Junior

Ahhhhhh Better

Portland, OR
Re: Anyone experienced....
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2009 at 3:07am

Hi Gigi,

Wait one sec I swear the theme music for Twilight Zone is playing in the background.I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disk Disease 5 years ago, Ihad the surgery and they fused 5 and 6 with a piece of bone from my hip. I also got told that disk 3 and 7 were showing signs and would need to be delt with in  the future. The Beast came to see me in  the recovery room. I wasnt yet conscience but was sreaming in pain, they kept shooting me with Morphine but it didt help according to my wife. All I remember was dreaming about being attacked by a shark and getting biten in the neck, I feel so sorry for the guy that was in the recovery room with me  Undecided

Anyway to your question on meds, yes I have been on Neurontin and its basically twin brother Garphantan. I had bad CH attacks on Neurontin and walking hallucinations on Garphantan. The two are designed for people that get seizures, but they found it is a great pain reliever for people with nerve damage or nerve related pain, I would try it and if you have any weird side effects stop it immediately( with your doctor of course)

Also you were lucky you had a rupture and didn't need to wait for the surgery, I had to wait 5 months for mine and now I have permanent nerve damage, and chronic pain due to it. I have been on morphine since before the surgery and hate it, but it is the only thing that allows me to semi-function, when the Beast is away that is.

I hope this helped some, I'll put you in my prayers for endless PF days and Nights. Ohh and hang in there I know what your going through so if you need to talk shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you my phone number or send me your number and I'll call on my dime.

~James

There are no new ideas, just moments of divine clarity

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!