Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi people :) (Read 3305 times)
ras
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Greece
Hi people :)
Apr 26th, 2009 at 5:54am

Ok I have decided to make myself known.

Myself

I am 27, married  ( with 2 furry kids of the canine and feline persuasion respectively) and I have Cluster Headaches. The name is George.

I live in Athens, Greece and since I do not know of anyone else with CH in Greece I kind of feel like I am the 'only CH man in the village' so to speak.

The Past

My story with CH started in summer 2005. I was living in London U.K, was going to start on my first job in 2 1/2 months, I had loads of times to visit museums and go sightseeing and things were looking fine. Then the CH started.

The good news was that I self diagnosed myself during the first week so I was quite sure that I do not have something life threatening (I am one of those people who see the glass half-full so I believe there are much worse things that one can have that begin with a headache).

The bad thing is my irrational fear of doctors. Consequently, I went through the next 7 weeks without any medication doing 'King Kong' impressions (when he is up the skyscraper screaming and swiping at biplanes) around the house 2-3 times a day.

Eventually I got out of cycle and life got back on track.

The waiting

Not sure when my next cycle would be I was quite worried at the begining. The cycle did not come in 3 months, or 6 and I started relaxing. When my CH 'anniversary' passed pain free I was a very happy bunny.

A second year passed, a third passed. I moved to Athens. I started hoping for an one-off but knew it would probably wouldn't be.

The present

I got a shadow or two during the winter and realised something was happening. It was a false alarm.

Finally about 15 days ago I got the first CH. Not a very strong one but it was there. Another one the next day so now I am back in cycle.

This time I did my research and made an appointment with a doctor who seems to know a lot about CH (and some published work too).

We started on Prednisolone 10 days ago and Imigran nasal spray (Sumatriptan) as a painkiller. Also I am taking Pariet (proton pump inhobitor) because of chronic stomach problems (and corticosteroids can do wonderfully nasty things to someone's stomach)

It is still early days but I seem to be getting results. If this cycle is like the previous one I should be having 2-3 attacks a day. Most days I am pain free (for the past two days for example, although I had a huge CH at night the 2 days before) and the Imigran seems to be taking quite a lot of the pain away.

I do not know how it will proceed, especially as the Prednizolone dose is now being reduced, but I am hopeful and all in all satisfied with the result. Fingers crossed I will get a similar attack pattern as the last time and will be out of it in 5 weeks or so.

For the time being I am glad I have the means (medication) to fight it and a supporting family.

I am optimistic and try not to worry about it too much. I see it as a way to improve my 'king kong' impression.

My only complaint is that due to the Prednizolone (I think) I am constantly hungry and have to be careful of what I eat (I love food  Cry ).

Also, after I take Imigran it feels like I am under the influence. I feel extremely relaxed and happy with the universe. As far as I know it shouldn't be giving me a high should it? It might just be the fact that I just got over the CH attack though and life is happy once more.

So yes! After lurking for years I am here with my pain troubled brethren.  Wink Nice to have found you guys.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Hi people :)
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 7:27am

The best news is that you have a good doctor!

And since you have been roaming around here for some time, we don't need to offer any material--unless you are seeking for something specific....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 7:27am

Talk to your doc about O2... It won't mess with your stomach and has worked for about 70% of us. A lot of us swear by it.... I'm one of them. With the high flow regulator and the right mask - I'm pretty well off the meds totally.

Welcome to Clusterville.. Check in more often. Greece is beautiful but your ocean is too cold!! Smiley

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 4:41am

Hi George,

Glad you decided to post but sorry to hear your back in cycle..!

Lefty...!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

ras
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Greece
Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 4:06am

Back after 7 years...

...trying to keep my spirits up since I am lucky enough to  be CH free for so long. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't  Wink

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 7:23am

Hi George, sorry you had to come here but glad you did.

Please read here as much as possible about Batch's D3 regimen.
It works for 80% of those who take it. it is a life saver.
Ask all the questions you want.

I was in Greece a few times on holidays, love it. the food yum!, the sun hot! great  Smiley

All the best
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2016 at 7:23am by thierry »  

IP Logged

ras
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Greece
Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 3:24am

Thanks thierry Smiley

Glad you liked Greece!

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 6:01pm

Hi George,
Welcome to your new family. We've all done the King Kong thing.

On the left of the screen is a tab  "where we live".  if you look there you will find 11 people in Greece who have joined us.

If your doctor is happy to give you imigran, ask for the injections.  They work better than the spray and can kill off a big CH in 5 - 10 minutes.

IP Logged

ras
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Greece
Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:41pm

Thanks maz. Imigran injections work wonders for me whenever an attack breaks through the preventative medication. Anyways the nasal spray is not available in Greece anymore (and I d rather not have to deal with the 10-15 minutes it takes to work) but injections are and I always have a kit at home (although due to the really long time between my cycles they tend to expire on me)

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 2:00am

I've used them after they've expired by 6 months, and they till work.
I always collect a few packs when I'm not on cycle so I'm well prepared with a good supply.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!