Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
odd stop of cycle leaves me wondering (Read 1523 times)
arcticspirals
CH.com Junior

Lebanon,OR
odd stop of cycle leaves me wondering
Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:11am

Hello all!
I do so hope this summers been an enjoyable one. I was doing alright then came down with bronchitis~ side effect of smoking and working at the hospital where I get coughed at routinely.
I knew doc couldn't help much, and have a small herbal knowledge I went back to teas and compresses to get me through, oddly enough, that was when the CH cycle broke. The only hit I have had was the coffee triggered one.
Looking back I duplicated the herbal combo I was on when I felt shadows coming in, and been able to stop them from coming. Now as you can imagin I look like a superstitious tea drinker every morning because everytime I let up the shadows come back.
I can't say it cured anything, knowing this beasty friend as long as I have cycles can start stop play with you for any reason at all or for no reason you can find. But what do you do to investigate an idea? Ask.
So I am wondering if anyone has had any success with herbals?
Asked a few herbal friends, they attribute the anti inflam. properties of the herbs I chose for the teas, others said it was the nerve tonic property. My inner thought can't decide.
I have enjoyed the relief, but feeling superstitous and growing tired of teas. haha

arcticspirals or_ri or_ri@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

MattyAA
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Poland, EU
Re: odd stop of cycle leaves me wondering
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:43am

What kind of herbs did you use? some  names if you could post please?

IP Logged

arcticspirals
CH.com Junior

Lebanon,OR
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 11:26am

Certainly, Plaintain~ (Plantago) broadleaf variety. Whole plant roots stem and leaf. Black Elderberry flowers. Houseleek leaves.Double strength chamomile. And honey to make it platable it is a very unpleasant and strong infusion. More like a decoction but not brewed as long.
This was the basic I have kept going on, but during the bronchitis hit I had oolong tea and lemon thyme mixed in as well. Also tablespoon of garlic honey remedy.
Sounds like alot and it is, I usually took these with milk thistle supplement on recommendation from herbalist for the protection of the liver.

IP Logged

MattyAA
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Poland, EU
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 12:14pm

That is lots of herbs mixed, hmm I wonder how they interact and react with chemicals inside of our bodies how are they absorbed, is that liver turns then into some active substance that acts on endicronology system?

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Bozeman|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 7:02pm

I WONDER if Rhodiola Rosea would work as a tea. Right now I just break it open, empty the capsule into my mouth, drink a sip of water and slosh it around to swallow it. I sometime throw in some kudzu (which melts in the mouth --leaving a dry mouth however), swish and swallow. Rhodiola has been my medicine chest standby for over a year...
YOURS, Daniel R Peterson

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 8:21pm

The plantain is an interesting herb - anti-inflammatory, one traditional use is to apply it on stings and scratches ... this type of pain is moderated in part by histamine and a chemical called Substance P, and both are also implicated in clusters to a degree.

A few studies showing that plantain and/or acteoside (a chemical in plantain) can reduce cytokines like TNF and IL-6, which are elevated in clusters.  Acteoside is technically a 'phenylpropanoid glycoside'  - Rhodiola is another source of such compounds.  

These compounds also seem to be calcium channel blockers.

Bottom line - a big maybe.  It is hard to say from the literature how much of these compounds is in the tea, how potent they are, and exactly what they do.

Quote:
   The effect of acteoside on histamine release and arachidonic acid release in RBL-2H3 mast cells.

Arch Pharm Res. 2006 Jun;29(6):508-13.   Lee JH, Lee JY, Kang HS, Jeong CH, Moon H, Whang WK, Kim CJ, Sim SS.  College of Pharmacy, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea.

The effect of acteoside, a phenylpropanoid glycoside isolated from Clerodendron trichotomum Thunberg, on histamine and arachidonic acid release was investigated in RBL 2H3 cells. Histamine was dose-dependently released from RBL 2H3 cells by melittin, arachidonic acid and thapsigargin. In extracellular Ca2+-free solution, basal secretion of histamine increased by two fold. The response of histamine release to melittin and thapsigargin in Ca2+-free solution was significantly decreased, whereas the response to arachidonic acid was significantly increased as compared with those in normal solution. Acteoside inhibited histamine release induced by melittin, arachidonic acid and thapsigargin in a dose-dependent manner in the presence or absence of extracellular Ca2+. However, the inhibitory activity of acteoside was more potent in normal solution than that in Ca2+-free solution. These data suggest that inhibitory mechanism of acteoside on histamine release may be related to extracellular Ca2+. On the other hand, acteoside significantly inhibited arachidonic acid release and prostaglandin E2 production induced by 0.5 microM melittin. It is possible that acteoside may be developed as an anti-inflammatory agent.

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2009 at 9:17pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

arcticspirals
CH.com Junior

Lebanon,OR
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 7:25pm

Thank you for your insights. I am still piecing it together, slowly. I have had to loose the black elderberry flowers (they only bloom for three or four weeks and its done blooming). Still no hits.  Plantain has been a stable food/med for my family for years. My dad made sure all us kids could locate it while camping.  So not worried about losing it. The houseleek is cultivated in my rock garden so should have enough, and with small damage takes on the winter.
Heres hoping and fingers crossed. Maybe I can try some rum this summer? Now that would be a dream come true.

IP Logged

arcticspirals
CH.com Junior

Lebanon,OR
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 4:41pm

Thought I would update for those interested, still free. Stopped the tea~ hard to take on hot days. But chew the leaves  in salads when I feel shadows. Odd I tell ya, odd.
Plantain has to be one of the most bitter plants to have , but horseradish sauce helps blend the bite.
I tossed a few leaves in a roast beef sandwhich, not to bad.
Started up on a thyro slim diet regimen, need to shed a few more pounds. Didn't trigger anything, so pursuing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!