Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about scuba diving and CH (Read 7269 times)
jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Question about scuba diving and CH
Aug 19th, 2009 at 9:58am

Hello everyone!
I haven't been here in a while, but I have a question I think only you can answer!!
I just finished a scuba diving class, and will do my certification soon. I've seen 3 doctors lately (just gave birth, so that explains it!), and all 3 give me different info...
One says I should NEVER, ever dive in my life because I have CH, and it will start a new cycle every time I dive because of the pressure.
Another said I shouldn't dive until I'm sure my cycle is over, so I'd have to wait at least a month of PF before even trying.
And the third doctor doesn't think it's a problem.

Any CH sufferers here that are scuba divers? Did you ever notice diving giving you an attack? Any other info on diving and CH would be appreciated.

Thanks for your replies!  Smiley

Jessica

IP Logged

dougW
CH.com Veteran

pain is inevitable.  
suffering is optional

Canada  'eh.
Re: Question about scuba diving and CH
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 1:54pm

Jessica:
I can only offer my personal experience.
I dove a lot for about 3 years after the onset of my clusters, though never while in a cluster period.
Diving never brought on a episode, never had a headache of any sort while diving.
(I had to stop diving after an MVA with a lung injury, unrelated to CH)

I browsed through goggle scholar and found nothing.

Pressure changes, such as airplane travel, have caused an attack in some people (reported on this site), diving may result in similar pressure changes.

I'd certainly be really hesitant to dive while in a CH period and have no scientific advise to offer during other times.

Good luck.

Doug

Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field of luminous consciousness.  I'll meet you there.   (Rumi)
IP Logged

jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:30pm

Thank you Doug for your response.

I was wondering about the differences between the pressure of diving, and taking an airplane, as I know flying can trigger attacks in some people (although I never had an attack when flying myself). I tried to do my certification last week-end, but wasn’t able to go deeper than 17 feet because of my ears (unrelated problem). I thought I was over with my last cycle since I hadn’t had an attack since July, but I had one attack Monday night. It wasn’t as bad as usual, but it made me wonder if it was because of the little diving I did on the week-end. I dove the same depth in an Olympic pool 2 weeks prior, and didn’t have any problems…

I guess I’ll experiment a little more. I have to have my ears checked out before I can dive again, so hopefully it’ll be long enough since the last attacks not to cause me any issues. I’ll keep on looking in the meantime for CH sufferers that are also divers!!

Jess

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 8:24am

I'm with Doug.  Dove a lot (max depth 100') and never had it start a cycle.  Never dove while in cycle due to medication use.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

jugginbug
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2009 at 3:18pm

I'm the spouse of a CH sufferer who is an avid diver.  He has never reported any problems with diving triggering a CH.  Before he was certified, he spoke with his CH doctor about any risk and he said there was nothing wrong with diving per se but that if it started to trigger CH to stop.  So that sounds like to me that it can be a trigger for some, but it isn't overly common.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 12:47pm

[quote author=3C2331313F38342331560 link=1250690316/4#4 date=1250882320]
he spoke with his CH doctor about any risk and he said there was nothing wrong with diving per se but that if it started to trigger CH to stop. quote]
Thats good advise.

I used to be an avid recreational diver and never felt any affect on CH either.

MJ

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 12:37pm

Hi Jessica,

I was an avid diver years ago, but haven't been diving much lately.  I never had any problems with diving triggering a headache.  I haven't had to deal with CH pain at all for about three years now, but that's another thread. Wink

If anything, I would expect diving to abort, rather than trigger, a CH!  This is wild speculation, but when you're diving, the partial pressure of oxygen is elevated; the deeper you go, the more oxygen is in your blood.  You'd have to go to an unsafe depth (~140 feet) to equal the partial pressure that you get from pure O2 at normal atmospheric pressure, but even at 35 feet or so, you're doubling the oxgen in your blood.  Of course, the partial pressure of CO2 goes up by the same ratio, so maybe it cancels out (?)  Having said all that, I would never propose diving as a tactic to abort CH - Having a CH is way too big of a distraction to deal with when you need your wits about you during a dive.

Traveling in an airplane is the opposite.  Even in a "pressurized" aircraft, you're still at a reduced pressure (compared to ground level), so the partial pressure of oxygen in your blood is lowered (unless you're on pure oxgen, as in a military plane).  That could explain why it's a trigger for a lot of folks.

Anyway, I wouldn't let the fear of a CH attack keep me from diving, unless I tried it and found it actually does trigger a hit.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

jess-MTL
CH.com Junior

Episodic sufferer

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 11:40am

Thank you so much everyone!

Jim, you made me feel better about diving. I was getting a little afraid, and had thoughts about abandoning that dream. I will try again, and see what it does for me.

IP Logged

JeffB
CH.com Alumnus

Wide open till you see
God, then brake

Raleigh, N.C. USA
Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 8:00pm

I dive when I can but never when I'm in cycle. Enjoy life and don't let this stuff keep you from doing what you like but be careful. And never touch the corral.

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."

IP Logged

michael
CH.com Old Timer

x1|nottingham|United_Kingdom|europe|177|217|
Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 10:41am

Hi Jessica

I have never scuba dived in my life before, but awile ago I went to Mauritius for my daughters wedding. I wanted to scuba dive there but the doctor in charge wouldn`t approve it because I was taking verapamil at the time for my clusters. I couldn`t make him understand that I was using this medication for cluster attacks and not high blood pressure. I`d ticked verapamil on my form and that was the end of it as far as he was concerned.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2009 at 10:42am by michael »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!