Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone suffered severe depression AFTER cycle? (Read 5688 times)
vangogh71
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Has anyone suffered severe depression AFTER cycle?
Jul 15th, 2009 at 3:36pm

I have suffered from clusters for over 10 years and have used Imitrex and Verapamil almost exclusively to treat.  After my last 2 cycles I have had a bout of bad depression and am wondering if the medication has some how affected my brain chemistry.

I never suffered from depression before and I am now on my 3rd antidepressant in a year and half and I am struggling a lot right now.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Re: Has anyone suffered severe depression AFTER cycle?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:09pm

When using Verap a few years ago I also struggled with depression.  I cannot attribute it all to the Verap as I think a lot of it was also from the exhaustion both physical and mental that I was experiencing from CH.  When I got off Verap and Lithium and went to Kudzu is when I started getting a handle on the depression, but that was also when I was learning a lot more about this malady and how I was handling it. 

Talk with your Dr about it at length.  More than that educate yourself on Verapamil and its characteristics.  You have to take the responsibility for your own care.  Do your own risk/benefit analysis and decide if you want to continue that road.  BTW, when "they" decided I was depressed and needed medication and put me on Prozac I almost killed myself!  Be very careful with anti-depressants.  Be sure you have someone trusted that you can talk with about feelings and your situation.  Don't let it build up to the point that you can't handle it any more.

All the best,
Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:27pm

Yes.... I have.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:14pm

Good question...

As an episodic I fought depression in OR out of cycle. Actually, moreso OUT, because while in cycle I was too "busy" to be depressed. Miserable stuff. Always thought being out of cycle would be a such a relief (and it was) that I would no longer be depressed. Wrong! Am thinking it relates to the chemical nature (at least partly) of the condition...and that just doesn't go away easily...

Always dreaded going "chronic (which happened 3 1/2 yrs ago). And while the hit levels are definitely reduced...the depression is WORSE.
Emotionally, I'd rather be episodic, intellectually chronic...go figure...I haven't figured it out yet. Not sure what I'm saying here...only that there is no "normal" in clusterville...

Talk to your doc...and best wishes...

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 2:00am

This is just a theory but...

A lot of the medications we use for aborting, hit on serotonin receptors, right?

Isn't it possible that once someone's cycle is over, the effects of the excess serotonin stopping could make someone depressed?

(that made sense in my head, really, it did. I have no idea if it makes sense outside my head right now.)

Hope things get better!
PFDAN
Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 10:27am

Just found this abstract a few weeks ago. The last section (in caps) suggests a tendency/disposition of people with a depression orientation to experience a greater burden of pain.

A depressive personality tends to be an enduring issue and so any variety of stressors can more easily trigger off a depession episode. Rather than depend only on medication to cope with the depression I'd suggest working with a clinical psychologist (rather than a psychiatrist or mental health counselor/social worker) who can test you (using the MMPI in this article), or other reliable tests, which give some insight into any depressive orientation you may have. If you tend to depression, then they can help you learn how to buffer yourself against future depressive episodes.

A core concept: anti-de meds will treat symptoms, often quite effectively, but long term improvement requires some good "talking work" to alter the personality which leads to vulnerability.
=================
Pain. 2009 Apr 24.  
Personality profiles and subjective perception of pain in head pain patients.

Mongini F, Rota E, Evangelista A, Ciccone G, Milani C, Ugolini A, Ferrero L, Mongini T, Rosato R.

Department of Clinical Pathophysiology, Headache and Facial Pain Unit, University of Turin, 10126 Turin, Italy.

Little or no information is available regarding the effect of the personality characteristics of headache sufferers on the quality of pain perception. The aim of this study is to investigate, in head pain sufferers, the relationship between the personality profile, assessed by the MMPI, and the different dimensions of pain (sensory, affective and evaluative), as assessed by the MPQ. Three hundred and seventeen patients with Migraine and/or tension-type headache (episodic or chronic) and myogenic facial pain were included. The Italian versions of the MMPI-2 and MPQ were administered, and the pain level was measured by the VAS. Cluster analysis based on the clinical scales of MMPI identified four personality profiles closely corresponding to the MMPI profiles obtained by the previous researchers: "depressive" (Dep.), "emotionally overwhelmed" (Emot.), "conversive" (Conv.) and "Coper". Differences in MPQ scales between personality profiles were investigated by means of a general linear model (GLM), adjusting for sex, age and pain level and type. Results of GLM analysis showed that the affective dimension was significantly higher in cluster Emot. than in Dep. (p=0.027), Conv. (p=0.002) and Coper (p=0.003). Total PRI was significantly higher in Emot. than in Conv. (p=0.010).

THE FINDINGS OF THE PRESENT STUDY SUGGEST THAT A SPECIFIC PERSONALITY PROFILE (EMOT.), CHARACTERIZED BY A HEAVY EMOTIONAL BURDEN, MAY INCREASE THE AFFECTIVE DIMENSION OF PAIN WITH RESPECT TO A DEPRESSIVE PROFILE (DEP.), A CONVERSIVE PROFILE (CONV.) OR A NORMAL PROFILE (COPER), INDEPENDENT OF SEX, AGE AND PAIN LEVEL AND TYPE.

PMID: 19394764 [PubMed]
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2009 at 10:30am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

campergal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

ks
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 2:20pm

I've been experiencing heavy emotional upset with problems going on around me. My blood pressure went up so went to the doc a month ago.

I told him I wasn't depressed. He said it comes out in you as anxiety. I never heard of it put that way, or sure I totally understand what he meant. But I can relate to being anxiety ridden at times.

Now the shadows of the clusters have started. What really bothers me, not that they are coming back isn't enough, but it seems to be both sides. Cry

Love is the answer. Love IS.

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 2:51pm

We have a disorder where our serotonin levels are all out of whack.

Depression and anxiety have this in common as well.

It is very possible.

I deal with all of the above.
When I went on a med for my anxiety, I definitely felt a change with the intensity of my clusters.

I say I am med free for clusters...but now that I think about it hmmm

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 10:03pm

Well I tried verapamil for a very short time because it gave me an iregular heart beat and short of breath symptoms.  However, I battled severe depression for years while I battled ch before I got it under control.  I think anyone living under the amount of constant pain levels we do is bound to ask why me?  maybe think suicidal thoughts, and wish they had a better quality of life at some point and time in thier life.  It can be very hard for someone to get a handle on these feelings if they are continual and more often then not.  Find a good dr that you trust and confide in him/her and ask them to prescribe something for your depression and ask to see a therapist so you have someone to talk to about all your feelings.  Good luck.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 9:10am

Ref. reply #6:

About half of depression is diagnosed by signs other than mood of sadness. Other emotions, physical changes/illness--can point to depression. This is a major reason that it's so under diagnosed: in the absence of "down" emotions, the assumption is that the person isn't depressed.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2009 at 7:13pm

I can relate to depression.  I've suffered from it most of my life.  Although there is no "AFTER" in my cycle, because I've been chronic for the last 22 years.

That being said, I am no longer depressed.  I'm on my bazillionth antidepressant and I'm out of a chaotic environment.  The two factors seem to have completely done away with my depression.

There is hope for you and the rest of us!

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 7:32pm

Thank you for sharing that Ray....

I rejoice at your accomplishment.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 10:22pm

I very much did suffer depression.  I was on the same regiment, imitrex and verap. I didn't think much of it until I just read this post.  I felt tired, didn't want to do anything.  Didn't take care of my home, husband or 3 dogs like I did pre-CH.  I wondered why I was so listless.  I thought it was because I was so beat after the terrible bout.  I went through a terrible cycle July-Sept 08, I don't remember being so somber after a cycle.  I finally feel that I am getting back to normal.  A whole dam year!! I will definitely talk with my doc about this the next time I cycle (approx 1-3 yrs from then).

Thanks for sharing, angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 10:23pm

I very much did suffer depression.  I was on the same regiment, imitrex and verap. I didn't think much of it until I just read this post.  I felt tired, didn't want to do anything.  Didn't take care of my home, husband or 3 dogs like I did pre-CH.  I wondered why I was so listless.  I thought it was because I was so beat after the terrible bout.  I went through a terrible cycle July-Sept 08, I don't remember being so somber after a cycle.  I finally feel that I am getting back to normal.  A whole dam year!! I will definitely talk with my doc about this the next time I cycle (approx 1-3 yrs from then).

Thanks for sharing, angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

Rob73
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 7:45am

Yes.  I had my first CH episode in Summer of 1994.  A few weeks after it ended I had a major depressive episode for about 9 months.  Another CH episode in 1999 and the same thing happened.  I was basically untreated for my CH's at this time so I can't blame it on any meds.

I personally think that our brain chemistry makes us susceptable to things like CH and depression as both are linked to serotonin levels etc.  Just my gut feeling.

I've struggled with almost persistant depression since 1999.

IP Logged

gore2424
CH.com Alumnus

What the hamsalad was
that ?¿?

Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 12:58am

I have been chornic since Nov. 1999 BUT since last Nov depression been really bad really really bad. I been going to VA clinic to get help. Today's  8:30 am appointment I was getting hit hard almost walked out was hurting sssssoooooooooo bad finnally the Dr and RN seen me at my worse so now going to try something new after last 4 meds havent helped me. Terry

I said your hair looks nice Ü

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 3:32pm

Since I've been chronic since 97, I refer to depression as mood swings and just take it with a grain of salt most of the time. Sometime I don't really even realize I'm going thru it till it's pointed out to me that I'm acting "strange" again. Then I have a long talk with myself and try to get my act together.

If that sounds a little flippant - it's not meant to be --- it's serious and sometimes I don't want to get out of bed or see another living person, but I "force" myself to do so and somehow it makes me go on living a "normal" life even when I don't want to. (I'm like Mel - that made sense in my head and I know what I mean - just can't explain it very well).

But don't get me wrong - there are times that I go on a total pity party and stay in bed and don't answer the phone - the whole ball game. And then I come on the MB here and someone kicks my rear and I come out of it and get my act together and go on with my life again.

We all have to find "our" way to cope. Sometimes it just takes us a while.

Hugs BD Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Ken_DFA
CH.com Junior

Normal, IL
Reply #17 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 3:03pm

I've noticed that I have a period of about two months of serious depression following my usual cycle, marked especially by emotional shutdown and complete apathy.

I don't take any Rx for my CHs, so it can't be any pharmaceutical fallout for me personally.  I always chalked it up to some sort of physiological rebound that your body produces after going through such ridiculous pain.

-Ken

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Aug 3rd, 2009 at 3:18pm

Best cured by doing something good for somebody else in need - completely anonymously.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

flyinfree
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #19 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 2:55pm

i am suffering a severe depression with the beginning of a cycle at hand.

gimme post depression any day!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!