Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question About O2 and Smokers, Gas Heat/Air (Read 1170 times)
Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Question About O2 and Smokers, Gas Heat/Air
Aug 25th, 2009 at 4:44am

I am getting desperate.  I tried O2 years ago with a small amount of relief but rebound headaches when I wasn't using it.  I have now read and know that I didn't use it according to what is described on this site.  I am thinking of trying it again but my husband and I are smokers and we also have a gas heat/air system.  So, when I read the caution about open flames and clothing saturation, it really scares me.  My question is...how safe is it to have this in your home and how far away does the tank have to be from smokers (even when it is not in use).  Could someone give me a run down on how you store and use 02?  I greatly appreciate it. Undecided

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: Question About O2 and Smokers, Gas Heat/Air
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 7:25am

Just use common sense, Joni.

Don't smoke when you have been breathing O2 - give yourself time to air out a bit. This is the primary danger - your clothes can become saturated with O2 when you don't realize it.

The overall O2 level in your home will not increase to a dangerous level simply from breathing O2 for the relatively short durations that Clusterheads need.

Storage is not complicated either. Keep in mind that O2 doesn't actually burn - it just makes everything else burn easily and rapidly. As long as your tank isn't leaking, it isn't the least bit dangerous. (You will easily hear any leak that could be dangerous)

Again, just apply common sense.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 11:32am

Joni, as Marc says, just use common sense, and you will be fine!

A LARGE number of us oxygen huffers are smokers.  I smoke between 2 and 3 packs a day (Yah, I know, pretty dumb of me!).

As I am sitting here, right now, with a lit cigarette sitting in the ashtray, to my immediate right.  I glance over to the oxygen tank sitting about 2 feet to the right of the ashtray.  I have more tanks, in their holder, right next to my recliner.  I have another tank, in its stand, right next to the archway to the kitchen, where I walk by, smoking, a gazillion times a day.

In my car, which I do smoke in, I have my "E" tank sitting on the console between the two front seats.  I keep at least two other tanks, on the floor, in the back seat.

Are the above practices according to Hoyle?  Probably not.  Is there a chance of fire?  Possibly.  But I probably have just as much of a chance of setting my waste paper basket on fire, that is also right next to me.

I have the warnings at the bottom of my window to make you aware of the possible risks, not to scare you.  As long as you make sure you don't have a leak, you should be safe.

BTW, if you ever suspect that you do not have a tight, leak free connection to your tank, simply use a quick spray of Windex (or some other bubbly cleaner) at the connections.  If there is a leak, you will see bubbles continuously forming.

And I wouldn't even consider your heating/air system as a problem.

Speaking of your heating/air system, are you afraid to smoke with the gas system in your house?  The gas is MUCH more dangerous than the oxygen is!

So, just use the common sense that Marc mentioned and GET THE OXYGEN!

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 10:37pm

Thank you, Chuck!  That is the kind of info I needed.  I know what the instructions say, but I wanted a real world situation (that's what we call it in the education field).  I saw your info too late for my appointment yesterday, but it is so good to know for the future!  Thanks again. Smiley 

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!