Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 & Migraines (Read 655 times)
Kay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Omaha, NE
O2 & Migraines
Sep 8th, 2009 at 11:06pm

My husband (Tim) has CH and O2 has been a very effective abortive for him (along with prednisone taper to start and lithium as a preventative).  Our 14 year old daughter has migraines, which are fairly controlled with nightly (10 mg) Amitriptyline (recently reduced down from 20 mg).  I've seen that several have posted that they have both CH and migraines.  I'm wondering if O2 works for anyone on their migraines?  She had a headache this morning (not a migraine but I suspect it could have turned into one were it not for the Excedrine and ice packs).  We talked her into breathing some of Tim's O2, but she only did it for about 3-4 minutes - not enough to judge whether it would have any effect.

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Re: O2 & Migraines
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 9:32am

It might help her.  There are some migrainers who do get relief from O2.  Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. 

Carolyn~aka~deltadarlin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

cherylc
CH.com Junior

x1|Simcoe|Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:04am

Hi.  I have had episodic cluster headaches for over 25 years and migraines for even longer.  My greatest fear has alway been that one of my daughters will have clusters.

After numerous trials of medications, herbs and natural remedies, the only abortives that work for my clusters are oxygen and the clusterbuster remedy of mushroom tea.  Because of this website and the advice offered here I am actually better able to cope with the clusters.  BUT I have had no luck treating migraines with oxygen.  I am very reluctant to try other abortives and usually just try waiting them out, with lots of advil and rest.  I also try increasing my intake of magnesium and vitamin B6 supplements. 

Keep trying different methods, there is no one answer for everyone.  Best wishes for your daughter and husband, they are lucky to have the support.

CC

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 11:48am

Quote:
I am very reluctant to try other abortives

Why?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!