Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topamax? (Read 2068 times)
SL
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Topamax?
Oct 28th, 2009 at 6:25pm

I have been on Topamax for over 4 weeks for migraines. I just now upped the  Topamax to 100mg. At first I did a couple of silly things but getting rid of the pain was worth staying on the Topamax. Now I feel like I am losing my mind.

I am not a rocket scientist or anything but I wouldn’t usually consider myself stupid. Lately though I have been forgetting and messing up the simplest things. I work as a receptionist so my job all day is talking. On the phone, when people come in the door…I have to talk. When I have been answering the phone I mess up my words, say the wrong thing, etc. Also I can have a conversation with someone and then later forget it or not remember it correctly. This is not like me at all.  I get lost when I am driving to familiar places. I forget peoples’ names. The other day someone called and asked to speak with someone and I could not remember who that person was. I knew that I knew the name but it was like I could not place it. It took me awhile and I was trying to stall but the person on the other end was getting a little irritated. Rightly so. It was so weird. The person they were asking for I work with everyday!!! I know who she is. I really feel like I am losing my mind.

Does this wear off? If I keep taking it is it going to get better? If not, can I just stop it today or do I need to wean off? I know I need to talk to my neurologist and I plan to. Before I spend the money on yet another visit and go in there though I would like some first hand experiences from people that have experience with it. I WANT this medication to work. More like I NEED this medication to work but I can’t go on like this for much longer.  Sad

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: Topamax?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 7:16pm

I tried it for Cluster Headaches and yes, the "dumb" effect reduced to about 1/2 after 3 weeks at the max dose. I was still calling it Dopomax, but I was trying.

It no effect on my Cluster Headaches, so I gave up after around 6-7 weeks.

I have no idea what it does for Migraines.

Marc

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:13am

As far as I'm concerned, meds in this class are still experimental: data are not in re. effectiveness. Too many docs are willing to play with the latest "X" in the literature vs. starting with the older treatments which have a long track record. IF they don't work, then you consider shifting to the newer products.
--------

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

JHK07
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 12:33pm

50mg here.  I never felt the "dopey" part.  Do you take it at night?

IP Logged

Hwood0519
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 10:37pm

As someone who HATES perscription medicine and someone who took Topamax I can tell you that this was one of the really ones I really disliked. I took Topamex for a little over a month before I stopped. I would get pricklies in my feet (like they had fallen asleep) all the time! I had trouble concentrating as well. I was taking an online class at the time and would watch the lectures and not retain one peice of information. I began researching and found that these side effects were common. My doctor is now trying to get me to take Lamictal. When I researched this medicine I found that it is linked with Stevens Johnsons Syndrom; It is as common as 1/1000 people who take the medicine! Boy am I glad I researched it before taking it! So my advice would be to really look into perscriptions before taking them and if you aren't happy with the side effects so far, stop taking it. There are better options out there. Often if you call a doctors office they will call in alternative perscriptions for you that you can research before choosing to purchase.

Hope this helps!
-Holli

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 12:06am

My niece felt the same way and after many months, she finally reduced it greatly because she couldn't stand it any longer.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 6:14pm

It did make me dopey.  I am not sure it ever returned to normal, not that i have ever been normal!

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:27pm

It totally stopped my headaches.  But at the same time I lost weight, some hair, was short of breath, and really not the same.  i was on 100mg..taken at night.  Tapered off and stopped.  Wasn't worth the rest.  Stabilized on verapamil and neurontin.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 7:21pm

Joshua wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:27pm:
It totally stopped my headaches.  But at the same time I lost weight, some hair, was short of breath, and really not the same.  i was on 100mg..taken at night.  Tapered off and stopped.  Wasn't worth the rest.  Stabilized on verapamil and neurontin.

I will respectfully say that if it worked for me, I would have lived with those side effects - easily!

Marc

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:00pm

I guess I just want my cake and to eat it, too.  Except for the middle couple of weeks, I expect my quality of life to be at least fair and functional.  I know my body well and see my doctor often during cycles to make necessary changes for improvement.  I have never taken any pain medication and do not plan on taking anything that makes me feel drugged.  That is just not a trade off for me, however, it has been for some of my family members so I do understand.  I think I am probably in the minority.  Again, good thing for chocolate and vanilla ice cream!

Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!