Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 concentrator advice? (Read 1658 times)
cherylc
CH.com Junior

x1|Simcoe|Ontario, Canada
O2 concentrator advice?
Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:16pm

I am having a pretty intense cycle (3rd week) with 2 to 10 hits a day.  Oxygen will take out most of them, but I am going through a lot of tanks.

My 02 provider has suggested an 02 concentrator.  I read the oxygen info provided here that doesn't recommend a concentrator because the LPM flow isn't high enough.  They are telling me that they can provide me with a higher flow 10-15 LPM.  What do you think? 

I am reluctant to try it, because I am still getting hits that the O2 doesn't take out, what if this concentrator doesn't work...I can't deal with anymore pain. 

Anyone have any good experiences with a 02 concentrator?

Thanks

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: O2 concentrator advice?
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:27pm

If it were me, I'd stick with the tanks...... Even at a 15 lpm flow you won't be getting pure O2 with a concentrator.

At least 25 lpm from a tank is the way to go for me.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:06pm

Since they're so concerned about you going through tanks as fast as you are, have they offered either a) bigger tanks, or b) a liquid oxygen setup?

A concentrator - even two hooked up in a "Y" configuration - might get you 15-20 lpm, but it's 85-90% O2 at best. You need 100%. Tell them to look at your doctor's prescription if they have any questions.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:54pm

I agree with Racer1 and Brew. To get immediate 100% O2 we need the tanks. But there are a few folks on this site that use concentrators.

Hopefully someone that does will chime in about them. But for portability we must have tanks.

Good luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:58pm

Quote:
Anyone have any good experiences with a 02 concentrator?

Nope.
They just dont deliver what is required..100% 02 STAT at 25+ lpm
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

Mikey
CH.com Hall of Famer

Rock till ya Drop and
DON'T mess with the FAM!!!!!

Gastonia, NC
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 1:06am

OK, here's the deal with the concentrator, I have one and use it for a totally different problem, i have tried every way shape and form of a way to use it with the CH's but nothing will replace and work as good for you as the good ole dependable tanks! Take it from us, you would be wasting your money......and yes everybody I been away forever....please forgive me.....

Mikey.... Smiley

I love to ROCK very HARD!!!CHRONIC and going crazy!! Want to come too?Hope for PFDAN, peace and safety to you all!!
WWW MGuitarM  
IP Logged

cherylc
CH.com Junior

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 8:56am

Thanks for your advice and input.  I went in asking questions about the concentration of O2, and she wasn't happy with me trusting the information that I got from "some site off the internet".  And she really didn't like it when I said that I trusted the information from this site more than her!  She couldn't understand why I wouldn't just try it and see if it worked.  No thank you!  Why give up something that works 95% of the time for something that I don't know if it will work?

The main problem is that I need an M tank and they don't have any available.  I hate having to switch tanks in the middle of the night.

So now I have to deal with this frustration as well as the headaches, because she also said that they don't have to fill my prescription because she doesn't believe that I am using my oxygen properly with "their" mask.  So I have left messages with the owner...playing phone tag, waiting to find out what is happening...

Brew...can you tell me more about a liquid oxygen set up?
Thanks
CC

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 8:10pm

Hi CC,

You may want to get in touch with Batch or ClusterChuck here on this site about the pros and cons of gas vs. liquid O2 - they are the resident O2 experts.  I've only used tanks... but here is a blurb from my O2 supplier on Liquid.  If I had to deal with people like you mention, I would consider changing companies if it were an option.   Huh

Val
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Liquid Oxygen (from Apria O2 supplier website)

A stationary liquid oxygen system includes a reservoir in which oxygen is stored, a flowmeter, connecting tubing, and a mask or nasal cannula. As the oxygen moves through the coils of the system, it warms and returns to a gaseous state, allowing the patient to breathe the product. This system does not require electricity or need a motor to operate. These units must be filled by one of our patient service technicians on a biweekly or monthly basis. High liter flow or very active patients may require this system.

A portable liquid oxygen system is used in conjunction with the stationary system. A patient is taught to fill the portable directly from the stationary unit. The portable functions in much the same manner as the stationary system.

val2651  
IP Logged

cherylc
CH.com Junior

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 7:44pm

Spoke to the owner and since I was unwilling to try the concentrator he explained that they only had D tanks available,  so this morning at 7:30 I realized that I only had 1 tank left, called their emergency number and the owner met my husband and got me a M tank!  I can't even describe the extreme relief I felt watching him bring that tank in the house!  What a lot of frustration over the last week, but I now have the security of my M tank,  I think I might just make it through this one.

IP Logged

Jrcox
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

FARMINGTON, MN
Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 8:04pm

I was in the exact same boat till Friday. Phew it's a huge relief. To see that M tank. I actually cried when I got home and saw all if it in my garage.

Jrcox jasonandmason jasonandmason@me.com jasonandmason  
IP Logged

Weatherman
CH.com Veteran

Beat the Beast!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 8:23pm

cherylc wrote on Nov 15th, 2009 at 7:44pm:
Spoke to the owner and since I was unwilling to try the concentrator he explained that they only had D tanks available,  so this morning at 7:30 I realized that I only had 1 tank left, called their emergency number and the owner met my husband and got me a M tank!  I can't even describe the extreme relief I felt watching him bring that tank in the house!  What a lot of frustration over the last week, but I now have the security of my M tank,  I think I might just make it through this one.

Way to go!!!! That's fighting the good fight!! Pain free wishes!  Smiley

The point of the journey is not to arrive.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!