Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Magnesium for cluster headaches? (Read 12436 times)
ClusterSufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Magnesium for cluster headaches?
Dec 23rd, 2009 at 2:18am

I ran across an article on headaches while searching the web for ways to cope with a cluster headache. I was wondering if anyone has tried a magnesium supplement or a diet high in magnesium and what their results were? here is the website and below is the article pertaining to the cluster headache part of the site. Let me know what you think.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A deficiency in magnesium can cause regular headaches, cluster headaches, and migraines. Magnesium helps the muscles surrounding the veins and arteries relax, thereby increasing the blood flow. The following factors cause depletion of magnesium: mental stress, coffee, sugar, a high sodium diet, alcohol, cola-type sodas, tobacco, high perspiration, drugs of all types, low thyroid function, diabetes, chronic pain, diuretics, a high carbohydrate diet, and a high calcium diet. Research has found that migraine sufferers often have low magnesium (50% of all sufferers!) and high calcium levels. Magnesium taurate or glycinate may be preferable to other forms of magnesium. The deficiency of magnesium may cause chemical changes in the brain that lead to migraines. A hair analysis will show you your calcium/magnesium ratio, among other mineral and heavy metal levels.
Have your doctor test your magnesium level. However, if you have one or more of the following symptoms, it's likely you have a magnesium deficiency: muscle cramps (especially nighttime leg cramps), menstrual cramps, fatigue, constipation, heart palpitations, insomnia, and anxiety.

Cluster headaches can be eliminated by taking 400 mg of magnesium 3x a day (make sure one capsule is taken before bedtime). If you get diarrhea, cut the dosage a little. In addition, avoid glutamates. For a good overview of glutamates, and magnesium in general, visit Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is another article I found pertaining to the use of magnesium:

Headaches
        Treating headaches with magnesium should be obvious to the reader by now. Does magnesium work for migraine headaches? Researchers have found that patients who suffer with migraines also suffer with low magnesium levels and high calcium. In fact, most chronic headaches are caused by high calcium and low magnesium. When treated with IV magnesium 88% of those patients found complete relief of their migraines. Low-ionized magnesium and high-ionized calcium/magnesium ratios in patients with daily migrainous headaches are frequently noted. Since starting Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register web site in September of 2000, Shawna Kopchu RN, its director, has given advice to hundreds of migraine patients on the use of magnesium for their migraines. Out of those patients - ALL of them got some sort of relief with the use of magnesium. Some were completely cured and others found that it decreased the frequency and intensity of the migraines they did get. Magnesium glycinate may be preferable to other forms of magnesium in its treatment of migraines.

I have also found that regular use of magnesium prevents headaches. Since I started using magnesium for depression, I have not had a headache (unless I did something really stupid - for which I deserved a good headache). I have a friend that suffered from cluster headaches, the worst and most debilitating type of headache known to humans. People have committed suicide to be free of them. This person was really irritable (a clear sign of magnesium deficiency) and would not take magnesium, saying that if the best doctors in the field could not cure his headaches, why would he even listen to me? He suffered horrible cluster headaches for another year, and was suffering from some prescription drug overdoses and bad side effects. Finally, his girlfriend told him (after I had proselytized her for that year), that she was going to leave him if he didn't give magnesium a good college try. OK. He was in so much pain that he laid down on the floor. I did too. He knew my position on magnesium already and all he wanted to know was the dosage. I told him that if I were him, I would take, at least in the beginning, 400-mg ionizable magnesium three times a day (breakfast, mid afternoon and bedtime) totaling 1200 mg magnesium. I told him that he would eventually get diarrhea at that dosage, and that he should back off to a more sustainable dosage in about a week. I told him to avoid the toxic forms of magnesium, which would probably make his headaches worse. I also told him to avoid man-made glutamates and cut down on calcium. I didn't see them for several days, then, I heard a loud and very rapid knocking on my door about midnight. It was my friend and his girlfriend, and they were tripping over each other trying to be first to explosively and joyfully tell me the good news! NO MORE HEADACHES! PERIOD!!!!!!!! Not even a minor headache! What more can I say. Chronic headaches without clear explanation (like a well deserved hangover) are just another symptom of our sick, over-medicated, magnesium deficient society. Can you imagine the financial losses that would be incurred by pharmaceutical drug pushers if the truth were known about magnesium and its critical role in health? I suspect they would declare magnesium to be toxic and force the FDA to take it off the market. This may happen due to the Codex treaty.   
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 2:28am by ClusterSufferer »  

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Magnesium for cluster headaches?
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 2:30am

Booooolshit.

Potter

IP Logged

ClusterSufferer
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 2:32am

Potter wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 2:30am:
Booooolshit.

Potter

So, I take it then vietvet2tours that you've tried this without success?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 3:19am

There have been several on the board, myself included, who now include magnesium supplements in our diets. My neuro suggested adding Vitamin B-2 and magnesium supplements, daily, in and out of cycle.

The hardest thing about CH is establishing hard and fast cause and effect relationships, since the damned things morph so often anyways. That being said, I'm convinced it's had a beneficial effect for me, reducing the number and intensity of my attacks. By no means is it a cure for CH, but I believe one of many useful tools I have to manage it.

Joe

Edited to add...if you start taking magnesium, add a calcium and Vitamin D supplement as magnesium leeches calcium outta your system!
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 3:20am by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:15am

And if you take higher doses of it, keep a supply of Pampers on hand.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 8:24am

I took 1200mg per day (3 x 400) for a month and was sure that it was gradually helping - until the CH's came roaring back full strength. Didn't have any gastric problems with it so I added another 800mg for two weeks. Still no help, except some forced weight loss at that dose.

Like so many other things, I got excited about a new treatment only to discover that it really didn't change anything for me.

Other people have reported good results with Magnesium so everyone should give it a try.

Marc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:17pm

Brew wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 7:15am:
And if you take higher doses of it, keep a supply of Pampers on hand.

Oh...no question...it does keep you....how you say???......loose? Grin

Joe

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:22pm

In polite company we say "regular."

Perhaps "Uber-regular" would apply here. Grin

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:24pm

I took the time to click each link and peruse the bullshit testimonials.  Click em for a good hoot .  Here's the first just for example.

Cluster. This form of headache usually strikes men who smoke and drink and will recur over several weeks, with pain generally centering in one eye.

another

Cluster headaches seem to respond well to chiropractic adjustment.

another

A deficiency in magnesium can cause regular headaches, cluster headaches, and migraines. Magnesium helps the muscles surrounding the veins and arteries relax, thereby increasing the bloodflow.

Potter

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:34pm

Brew wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:22pm:

Hmmmmmmm...... Magnesium, you say..........    Smiley to counter act the Verapamil...... hmmmmmmmm

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:05pm

Jeannie wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:34pm:

Hmmmmmmm...... Magnesium, you say..........    Smiley to counter act the Verapamil...... hmmmmmmmm

Jeannie

Yep, it does at high enough doses.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:13pm

Research has shown that magnesium can help some people with cluster headaches. Is it a cure-all? No, nothing is. Can it help some people? That is a reasonable belief, supported by evidence.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:14pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:15pm

monty wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:13pm:
Research has shown that magnesium can help some people with cluster headaches. Is it a cure-all? No, nothing is. Can it help some people? That is a reasonable belief, supported by evidence.

Idiots?

Potter

You get a mulligan Monty
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:18pm by Potter »  

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:35pm

monty wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:13pm:

But that refers to Magnesium Sulfate given IV - a whole different story..........

Marc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:42pm

Jeannie

Too bad the magnesium doesn't counter....ummm...ALL the effects of verapamil!!!!!! Grin Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:56pm

Guiseppi wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:42pm:

Jeannie

Too bad the magnesium doesn't counter....ummm...ALL the effects of verapamil!!!!!! Grin Roll Eyes

Testify, brutha!

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #16 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 5:39pm

Heres the best one.

Cluster headaches can be eliminated by taking 400 mg of magnesium 3x a day (make sure one capsule is taken before bedtime).

Who knew? Apparantly not some of the best neuros in the world ?  Someone should let them know.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #17 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 6:41pm

Maybe this will help, 3X 500mg Magnesium/calcium per day.
Fluke? luck? persistence? or it was going to happen anyway.

Day of last hit      2/10/2006      First big break
Today's date      20/06/2007      First day of getting hit again
           261      =      Days since last hit

Day of last hit      20/06/2007      High cycle started again
Today's date      9/08/2007      High cycle ended
           50            Days getting hit

Day of last hit      9/08/2007      Low cycle started
Today's date      1/06/2008      Low cycle ended
           297            Days since last hit

Day of last hit      1/06/2008      High cycle started again
Today's date      24/07/2008      High cycle ended
           53            Days getting hit

Day of last hit      24/07/2008      Low cycle started
Today's date      24/12/2009      
           518            Current pain free run

Cheers
Barry

Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #18 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 1:08am

Marc wrote on Dec 23rd, 2009 at 1:35pm:
But that refers to Magnesium Sulfate given IV - a whole different story..........

Marc

Really? Are you suggesting that magnesium isn't absorbed when taken orally? It is true that an IV drip is faster, and for aborting a particular CH or treating a heart attack, it would be preferred. But for prevention, the body doesn't care if the magnesium is from an IV ... only that it is there.

As a group, clusterheads are quite deficient in magnesium - more than any other group of headache patients. The clusterheads with the lowest magnesium levels were most likely to respond. Is there evidence that oral sources of magnesium won't treat the deficiency, or that orally ingested Mg isn't a calcium channel blocker?
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009 at 1:10am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 8:43am

No, Monty - I don't believe that I said that oral doses are not absorbed.

I was only pointing out that magnesium sulfate administered via IV to abort headaches was referred to in the articles - not magnesium taken orally as a preventative.

Reduced magnesium levels measured during an attack does not necessarily tell me that low levels helped cause the attack.

I didn't say that Magnesium supplements are bad. My comment was that some people have reported success and that it should be tried. If it cures your CH's, that's a truly wonderful thing.

Hoping all is well with you and yours,

Marc

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009 at 8:55am by Marc »  

IP Logged

ellebelle
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 5:21pm

I myself suffer with cluster headaches, and they are hand on heart the WORST thing I have ever experienced. I get them for around April, my cycle lasting 2 months and i get around 8 attacks a day lasting about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I cannot do anything and get so depressed throughout my cycle often feeling like i want to mad! the only thing that makes me feel better is bashing my head against the wall. Cluster headaches are exhausting they feel like they go on for days when each one only lasts under an hour! The only thing which worked for me is magnesium. Thank GOD for magnesium!!! my CH were prevented taking these tablets, and now i swear by them! I hope it works for my next CH cycle!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #21 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 6:14pm

Welcome to the board ellebelle. Take some time to check out the board, the links on the left, and see what all is available now for CH. the old days of chewing aspirin and pounding our heads on the concrete are past tense. For abortives we have oxygen, Imitrex injections, energy drinks, there are numerous prevents to try, let us know what meds you've tried in the past. Maybe we can give you some ideas to take back to your doc.

joe

IP Logged

Doc Leila
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:23pm

I saw a new doctor for my CH today. After seeing countless GP's neurologists homeopaths and naturopaths, Magnesium was suggested for the first time. He gave me an intravenous dose in his rooms and started me on Mag glyc orally. His rational was to use the IV dose to abort an attack and oral dose to chronically keep my levels up and hopefully prevent another attack.
He also did an extensive (expensive) food allergy test, saying that food allergies increase the amount of inflammation in your body chronically, so that when you are in cycle its so much easier to trigg your system.

Awaiting results of mag and bloood tests.... Wish me luck!

IP Logged

Doc Leila
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:27pm

Still no headache, though its only been 24 hrs. Seeing same doctor again tomorrow for acupuncture... Wondering if i should take another iv dose.

Any suggestions??  Huh

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:04pm

Doc Leila wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:27pm:
Still no headache, though its only been 24 hrs. Seeing same doctor again tomorrow for acupuncture... Wondering if i should take another iv dose.

Any suggestions??  Huh

We really don't give Medical advice cuz none of us even pretends to be a Doctor.

Potter

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!