Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tremors and Ch (Read 2643 times)
chrissy 58
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

bridgwater
tremors and Ch
Mar 1st, 2010 at 2:51am

Hi my brother has been a chronic sufferer for about 10 years now, and is awaiting surgery. About a year ago he started getting v severe tremors in his arms, usually one arm at a time although it cam travel across to other arm at any time. Tremors can last for any time ranging up to an hour and can happen many times a day. Bad enough, but in the last month his head is now being affected too. Doctors are concerned and baffled. has anyone else suffered similar effects ? Please we are desperate.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: tremors and Ch
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 7:37am

Sorry. Never a tremor here.

What's the surgery for?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

chrissy 58
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

bridgwater
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 9:38am

Thanks for reply. The surgery is to try to prevent clusters by cutting a nerve in the brain at the back of the eye. Only one surgeon i,m told in the uk does this and it is very expensive so funding is  a problem. It does also I believe carry some risk .

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 10:03am

You will find almost everybody on this website in agreement that surgery for CH is a last resort. That means that you've tried every other treatment first.

Have you checked out clusterbusters.com?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

chrissy 58
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

bridgwater
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 4:30pm

I appreciate what you are saying, and will definatley pass on all that is said including the name of the website. Any alternative treatment is worth trying. I am grateful for your advice and opinions.
Like I said I hope he will speak to fellow sufferers himself to get info first hand so to speak.
many thanks

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 5:25pm

Please have him think again about the surgery and do some checking with others who have had it done.  Those that I am familiar with who have had a similar surgery have had very poor results.  Not only did they have the loss of the nerve on the side of the face, but the HA's simply changed sides. 

I am also chronic, so I can definitely understand where he is coming from.  There are a number of other alternatives he should try first.  If surgery is the final route please check out ONSI.  Personally I would find it to be preferrable to cutting the nerve.

As to the tremors, I will periodically get them in my hand on the CH side when being hit hard, but have not had them travel to the other side.  I've noticed no lasting probs with it, just the irritation while it is going  on.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

chrissy 58
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

bridgwater
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 6:45am

Thank you jerry for your comments, it would indeed be helpful to hear from anyone that has had surgery.
It is very hard to describe the tremors, if his arm is on a table it literally bangs so hard he has to cushion the noise and if you hold the arm banging you can see it travel across the shoulder and the other arm starts. Any manual work with his arms even lifting can start it off. Crazy eh !
I cant stress enough how helpful it is to hear from others who understand CH. Thankyou  Chris

IP Logged

chrissy 58
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

bridgwater
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 3:11pm

Sorry I owe you both an appology, surgery is not to cut nerve but to fit electrodes to it and fit a device like a pace maker that hopefully will stimulate the nerve and prevent pains.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 4:19pm

Check out this thread:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 4:49pm

Chris, I've been chronic now for 23 years.  I, personally would never have any kind of invasive surgery as I can somewhat control them with pure oxygen, Imitrex once and awhile and ice packs, energy drinks etc.

I am not up on all the different surgical techniques these days, but I have heard that in some cases cutting a nerve on one side or doing anything to the side affected simply makes them switch sides.   This beast is very clever.

I have never had tremors like you described and with the exception of Jerry...have never heard of anyone else who has either.

Please DO have your brother come to this site and talk to us.  We'll be more than happy to give him our collective experiences as well as all the support in the world.  That's what we're here for and that is what makes this site so great.  We ALL know 1st.-hand what he's going through and no long explanations on how this pain feels or how it's affected his life, is necessary.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

chrissy 58
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

bridgwater
Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 5:32pm

Thank you Brew very interesting, and Linda appreciate your comments, my brother has been reading all the messages and like myself finds them beneficial and v interesting.
I am gradually working my way thru topics on this site and its wealth of info. Its a great site thank you all !

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 12:03am

Quote:
my brother has been reading all the messages and like myself finds them beneficial and v interesting.

Good!   welcome,  brother of Crissy(since we don't know your name)   This place is for both of you.  Please ask questions, tell us anything you want to tell us and vent all you want.  If you read here at any length...you will see we all do this to a certain point. 

I've been chronic now for 23 years.  Tell us about you!

we're listening.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 5:57pm

Thanks for the clarification.  My tremors are not nearly that severe, and I seriously doubt his are connect to the CH.  Course, I'm not a doc and don't even play one on the internet, so please take our advice with caution.  All we can share is what we experience and have learned over years of dealing with the beast.

I'm glad you clarified the surgery.  The fitting of electrodes to the nerves sounds at least somewhat like ONSI.  There are a couple on here who have had some success with it.  I hpe you will address the question as to ONSI and see what info you will come up with from it.  Also, do a search on previous posts concerning ONSI.

I don't know if the convention in July would be an option to you or not.  If at all possible I think it would be very helpful.  We will be having two of the premier Neurologists who deal with CH speaking, and one of them will be addressing ONSI specifically with a young lady who has had the implant done there to speak about it as well.  Check out OUCH for more information.  I hope it will be a possiblility for you.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!