Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions that I have (Help please) (Read 3372 times)
Alejandro Humphreys
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Questions that I have (Help please)
Apr 8th, 2010 at 12:18pm

Hello again!
I would like to ask a few questions, I was reading the Forum to know more and asking her more about this too.
I can´t imagine this pain, even if I read a lot, she explain this pain to me, I can´t imagine or understand this pain, why? Because I think the only ones that could know this are those who fight the beast.

- How do you deal with the lack of sleep?

- I read in the forum and in the helpful hints that Caffeine and Red Bull may also assist in aborting an attack. I thought  Caffeine it wasn´t good, someone can explain me?

- If you have Episodic CH, could turn into Chronic CH? or from Chronic to Episodic?

Sorry if my questions are kinda dumb, but I try everyday to learn more, and what I don´t understand I ask.

Thank you again.
Alex.

Alejandro Humphreys Alejandro Humphreys alehumphreys http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1163303519  
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Re: Questions that I have (Help please)
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 2:16pm

Alejandro Humphreys wrote on Apr 8th, 2010 at 12:18pm:
- How do you deal with the lack of sleep?

- I read in the forum and in the helpful hints that Caffeine and Red Bull may also assist in aborting an attack. I thought  Caffeine it wasn´t good, someone can explain me?

- If you have Episodic CH, could turn into Chronic CH? or from Chronic to Episodic?

Sorry if my questions are kinda dumb, but I try everyday to learn more, and what I don´t understand I ask.

Thank you again.
Alex.

Not dumb questions! 

Lack of sleep - a lot of sufferers take Melatonin - I'm sure someone will offer a dosage for your lady to try.

Caffeine and various energy drinks that contain it are vasoconstrictors - they constrict blood vessels.  Since CH DILATES blood vessels, the constriction can help abort an attack.  Energy drinks contain other substances that help with CH - someone more knowledgeable about that will be along to elaborate, I'm sure.

Unfortunately, one can move from episodic to chronic and back again with no rhyme or reason.  I've watched it happen to my husband.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Alejandro Humphreys
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 4:49pm

I couldn´t understand before why could be good caffeine and energy drinks, but with your reply now I get it.
But not in all the case move from Chronic to Episodic or back again? or this is something that always will happen?
Also I would like to ask, if the attack is in the right side, is always there? or could be sometimes on left side too?

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate all the help, it makes me to try to understand and to learn more.

Alex.

Alejandro Humphreys Alejandro Humphreys alehumphreys http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1163303519  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 5:11pm

Hi Alex - it's wonderful that you are  helping your ch sufferer by doing so much research.

Pat answered about the redbull - the other thing is to get on it quickly at the onset, hopefully with O2 also -

As far as the ch switching sides, that is something that can happen and I think fairly common from what I've seen others post about.

We love having you in the supporters corner and will do as much as we can to help you, but might be a good idea to post the treatment and ch specific questions up in those areas so that other sufferers will jump in. Like you, I'm a supporter, so I know what I do to help my husband, but don't always know his dosages etc of his treatments.

Best of luck - keep reading and posting!

Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:16pm

The lack of sleep hurts. Finding an effective preventative is the first step in getting enough sleep. Once I get on my lithium, the prevent that works for me, takes about 10-14 days, my attacks are reduced about 70%.

Melatonin is an over the counter remedy sold at healthfood and vitamin stores. Start with 9 mg just before bedtime. Give it a few days to work, many find they can avoid the night time hits with Melatonin. She may have to increase the dose to 12 mg if she doesn't get any relief at 9.

As far as the caffeine. The energy drinks that Mosaic talked about contain caffeine and Taurine. I prefer sugar free Red Bull but i's just a matter of taste. Make sure they contain both caffeine and taurine. Many can actually stop an attack by chugging one down at the first sign of a hit.

Some people do switch sides from cycle to cycle, some will even have attacks on both sides during an individual cycle. I'm going on 31 years of CH, still right side only, still episodic. It's possible to go from episodic to chronic, owrrying about it will just make your stomach hurt and not accomplish anything!!

Thanks again for being a supporter.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Alejandro Humphreys
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:16pm

Thank you Christy and Joe, I will keep reading and posting.
About the energy drinks, only with Caffeine and Taurine good to know, it looks like the better option about energy drinks is Red Bull then.
Everyday I learn something new.

Alex.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:29pm by Alejandro Humphreys »  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:44pm

That's the idea Alex, keep learning! I'm so happy you found this site. I found it maybe 10-12 years ago and it's been a God-send for Joe.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 11:03am

There are actually many energy drinks that have the caffeine/taurine combination. Stay away from Amp as it only has a fraction of the taurine needed. Others that are good: Monster, Rockstar, NOS, Full Throttle.

I have used melatonin very successfully to keep the nighttime hits away. In high cycle I have used up to 12mg, but I'm normally around 6mg. When I'm not in cycle, I still use 3mg just as a sleep aid.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 12:24pm

Being chronic or episodic is basically the beast's choice.  I don't recall anyone ever being able to influence their cycles in either direction.  It doesn't ALWAYS move from episodic to chronic, though.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 3:04pm

Hi, and let me say to you that I applaud you for taking such an interest in supporting your wife/girlfriend.

To answer some of your questions...Besides taking 9mg. of Melatonin at night which can be bought over the counter in any drug store very inexpensively.

I also have taken Amerge when that doesn't work and I have gone days without sleep and need it desperately.    Amerge she will need a prescription for from her Dr. as it is one of the Trptan drugs and should not be taken with any other Triptan.  Amerge is considered to be an abortive drug...but it takes a long time to get into your system and in my opinion isn't very good for a hit.  It DOES...however last a long time and so if I need sleep I take one about an hour before I go to bed and I can get a full night sleep.

As far as going episodic to Chronic or the other way around...yes.  That does happen, but tell her not to be worrying about that now.  I've been chronic for 23 years now.  With your help and support she's going to make it.   Wink

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 5:17pm

Alejandro, how is she doing in the last couple of days???

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Alejandro Humphreys
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2010 at 2:48pm

Hello again.

Sorry I didn´t log in a lot of time. Lot of things happened in this time. Unfortunately I´m not dating her anymore =(
I learned a lot about CH in all this time also and I found a group here in Spain and I´m helping them and I assist to the conference they make here, to learn more and help everyone in the way I can.
I will try to keep in touch and I will tell them to join here too Smiley
Thanks everyone, and add me to facebook if someone wants Smiley.

Alejandro.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2010 at 2:50pm by Alejandro Humphreys »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!