Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
All Ch'ers and Supporters need to sign - URGENT!! (Read 3353 times)
LeLimey
Ex Member

All Ch'ers and Supporters need to sign - URGENT!!
May 4th, 2010 at 4:34pm

This could just be the most important thing any of us ever do for people with CH.

Hello, we have been instructed to initiate a ACTION REQUIRED FOR CMS REIMBURSEMENT COVERAGE FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE PATIENTS.

A Formal Request for a National Coverage Assessment at CMS (Medicare) was filed on 4/9/2010 by Dr. Fred Sheftell, MD, President, American Headache Society and Dr. Robert C. Griggs, MD, FAAN, President, American Academy of Neurology. 

The goal of this National Coverage Assessment request is to overturn the present non-coverage determination on oxygen therapy for Medicare beneficiaries who suffer from cluster headaches. Comments from Neurologists who treat Cluster Headache sufferers as well as the Cluster Headache sufferers themselves who use high flow oxygen therapy have a vested interest in this coverage.   

This formal request is in part due to the latest evidence of High Flow Oxygen for the treatment of Cluster Headache. You can find this summary article from Neurology Now.  This article provides additional perspectives from some of the Nation's top neurologists specializing in the treatment of the acute and chronic Cluster Headache.  They list oxygen therapy as the first intervention of choice for the Cluster Headache due to its safety and effectiveness in aborting the most severe pain known to the medical profession. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Should you agree with thousands of oxygen prescribers and users of High Flow Oxygen for the treatment of Cluster Headache please find the link below to the CMS page announcing the NCA for Home Use of Oxygen to Treat Cluster Headache (CAG-00296R).  The comment period runs from 4/9/2010 to 5/9/2010. It is urgent to act today before the comment period is closed.   

Go to this link now for comment:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Re: All Ch'ers and Supporters need to sign - URGENT!!
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2010 at 10:21pm

You were "instructed" to do this?

Maybe that means something different in England than it does here.

Bobw

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2010 at 9:03am

Pinkfloyd wrote on May 4th, 2010 at 10:21pm:
You were "instructed" to do this?

Maybe that means something different in England than it does here.

Bobw

Actually Bob, I quoted the statement on the publicity thing without adding my own version. It was generated right here in the US so read it how you will! I wouldn't read anything into it than legalese though and frankly, there are more important issues involved than some jobsworth's wording!!  Smiley

IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2010 at 1:18pm

Done!

~ Naturally Ostentatious ~

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2010 at 7:58pm

Thank you!

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #5 - May 6th, 2010 at 10:11am

I'd like to mention a side note to this discussion - while it focuses on Medicare/Medicaid coverage, I would ask that everyone please remember that Tricare, the military health care coverage, is based on Medicare.

If Medicare refuses coverage, so will Tricare, and there are a high number of active duty, retirees and veterans in our midst, as well as their family members.  They would all lose their home oxygen coverage.

Our service men and women and their families deserve better.

Cat

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #6 - May 6th, 2010 at 12:43pm

catlind wrote on May 6th, 2010 at 10:11am:
I'd like to mention a side note to this discussion - while it focuses on Medicare/Medicaid coverage, I would ask that everyone please remember that Tricare, the military health care coverage, is based on Medicare.

If Medicare refuses coverage, so will Tricare.......

.... along with all the private insurances. Cat is absolutely right. Anthem BC (Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans), CIGNA, United Healthcare, Humana, Amerigroup, Principal, Longshoreman's, etc, ALL take the lead from Medicare rulings. This is critically important for EVERYONE.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2010 at 3:16pm

AdoreInVegas wrote on May 6th, 2010 at 12:43pm:
.... along with all the private insurances. Cat is absolutely right. Anthem BC (Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans), CIGNA, United Healthcare, Humana, Amerigroup, Principal, Longshoreman's, etc, ALL take the lead from Medicare rulings. This is critically important for EVERYONE.

Not sure I understand. CIGNA is my insurance company, and I've never paid a dime for O2.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

AdoreInVegas
CH.com Junior

Sin City, Baby!
Reply #8 - May 7th, 2010 at 4:56pm

Brew,
If Medicare declines this initiative, private insurance companies normally follow suit. They can base their medical necessity decisions on Medicare guidelines, and if they are suffering like Blue Cross Blue Shield, they will use it as an excuse to not cover the service.

If anyone is on Medicare-based HMO or PPO plans (i.e. Secure Horizons, Humana Gold, etc), they will be directly affected by this initiative, also.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2010 at 4:57pm by AdoreInVegas »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!