Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can O2 be bad for the lungs? (Read 2393 times)
Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Can O2 be bad for the lungs?
Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:17am

I've found that whenever I cycle and use O2, my lungs get a little 'tighter' (if that is the word to describe it). Hard to breathe deeply without coughing. Can O2 be bad for the lungs? If I have 3 or 4 headaches a day - can I be using O2 too much?

thanks in advance,
-peter-

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Re: Can O2 be bad for the lungs?
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 2:02pm

Hey Peter:

Going to nuro tomorrow and will ask.  I was a heavy smoker
for years and have stopped for 9 years now but do feel funny
in lungs after breathing heavy O2 for awhile.  I have also
asked that question.  I feel it mostly on the left lung. But I
feel something there I don't normally feel. 
I found this article from 2004 which I was Razed about.
But it is good to know before you do something that does
damage because of some other thing you did in your life.

It is from a Doc they talk about on this site!

From the newsletter Headliner, 2004, Issue 33, published
by the  Michigan Head-Pain & Neurological Institute.
Reprinted with permission.

"High Oxygen Flow Rates for Cluster Headache"
                by Todd D. Rozen, M.D., Neurologist

As discussed in previous issues of the Headliner, cluster
headache patients require effective abortive therapy due to
the extreme intensity of their pain. The two most effective
cluster abortives are injectable sumatriptan and inhaled
oxygen. However, since a large percentage of cluster
sufferers are cigarette smokers and at high risk for
coronary artery disease, many cannot be treated with the
various triptan medications. In these cases, oxygen therapy
becomes the preferred option.

Oxygen, the safest of all cluster therapies, is usually
prescribed based on a landmark study by Dr. Lee Kudrow.
In this study, patients were instructed to use 100% oxygen
via a nonrebreather face mask at 7-10 liters/minute.
Although usually effective, a certain subset of cluster
patients do not achieve relief from this treatment. The
author hypothesized that treating patients with higher flow
rates of oxygen, up to 15 liters/minute, might provide relief
to those sufferers who had not responded to standard
oxygen therapy regimens.

Because MHNI has many intractable cluster patients, it was
decided that a higher dose of oxygen therapy would be
utilized in a few patients. Several important cases recently
reported in the medical literature, found this therapy to be
quite effective in patients who previously did not respond to
lower dose oxygen inhalation.

MHNI's experience indicates patients who do not respond to
the standard flow rates should be given the opportunity to
use up to 15 liters/minute. However, prior to initiating this
therapy, patients must obtain clearance from their primary
care physician since serious lung disease and other
conditions can make oxygen therapy unsafe or
inappropriate. In addition, such oxygen therapy should not
be used for more than a maximum of 10-20 minutes at a
single setting.

The basis by which oxygen turns off a cluster headache is
unknown at this time. Oxygen's constrictive effect on
cerebral blood vessels may play a significant role.

Further study and a larger sample size is needed to provide
conclusive evidence regarding the usefulness of high
oxygen flow rates for difficult-to-treat cluster headache
patients.

Headliner is published and privately distributed by the
Michigan Head-Pain & Neurological Institute for
informational use by our patients and friends. Rights to
reproduction belong exclusively to Michigan Head-Pain &
Neurological Institute. For additional copies or further
information contact:
Jeffrey Pingel, Ph.D., or Scott Madden, Editors, Headliner
Michigan Head-Pain & Neurological Institute
3120 Professional Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Last modified: 2004

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 3:11pm

I was speaking with my son recently who is majoring in Neuro-Biology about quitting smoking.  We got on the topic of things I might experience while trying to quit, he mentioned that one thing I might feel is a tightness or heaviness in my lungs and that this would be due to my lungs beginning to heal. 

Just a Thought...   Huh

The O2 could be having a "healing" affect on your lungs if you were or still are a smoker. 

<edited to add the following info.>

Quote:
Oxygen Therapy Risks

Oxygen is not addictive and causes no side effects when used as prescribed. Complications from oxygen therapy used in appropriate situations are infrequent. Respiratory depression, oxygen toxicity, and absorption atelectasis are the most serious complications of oxygen overuse.

A physician should be notified and emergency services may be required if the following symptoms develop:

* frequent headaches
    * anxiety
    * cyanotic (blue) lips or fingernails
    * drowsiness
    * confusion
    * restlessness
    * slow, shallow, difficult, or irregular breathing

Oxygen delivery equipment may present other problems. Perforation of the nasal septum as a result of using a nasal cannula and non–humidified oxygen has been reported. In addition, bacterial contamination of nebulizer and humidification systems can occur, possibly leading to the spread of pneumonia. High-flow systems that employ heated humidifiers and aerosol generators, especially when used by patients with artificial airways, also pose a risk of infection.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2010 at 3:21pm by JustNotRight »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 6:21pm

Peter,

Good question so I'll start by saying I'm not a doctor and this is the kind of question you should ask your primary care physician or neurologist.

Having said that, I'm a retired Naval aviator and fighter pilot with over 3000 hours in Navy fighters flying on and off aircraft carriers for nearly 15 years.  All of that flight time was spent breathing 100% oxygen from takeoff to landing on missions lasting over two hours.  It was common to fly two missions a day and if you were lucky, three.  I can also attest to the fact that the flow rates we used were frequently well over 40 liters/minute at several points during each flight depending on the mission.  High G-Force air combat maneuvering created the greatest work and highest demand for oxygen and increased lung ventilation to remove carbon dioxide.

I've also used a method of oxygen therapy with flow rates that support hyperventilation for over 5 years to abort my cluster headaches and during high cycles, that can be an average of 3 to 4 attacks a day/24 hours. 

If this method of oxygen inhalation therapy is used properly, the average time to abort for pain levels 3 through 9 is 7 minutes.  I'm 65 years old, doing fine, and I still pass my annual physicals.

I'm not an isolated case.  Over 125,000 Navy and Marine Corps pilots flying tactical fighter and attack aircraft have been breathing 100% oxygen for over 70 years. 

All of us must pass an annual flight physical each year to remain on active flight status.  That physical involves a very thorough exam by a Navy Flight Surgeon, blood tests, hearing tests, and chest X-Rays.  If there was any lung damage, these X-Rays would have found it. 

On top of that there are annual requirements for aviation physiology training courses that include altitude chamber runs up to a reduced pressure equal to an altitude of more than 25,000 feet where we would take off our oxygen masks to experience hypoxia, ejection seat training, and water survival including runs in the Dilbert Dunker...

I've checked with the senior Flight Surgeons and Aviation Physiologists at the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute (NAMI) at Pensacola, FL and asked if there were any documented cases of Naval Aviators experiencing problems associated with breathing 100% oxygen.

The answer was no.  There were no instances of lung problems associated with 100% oxygen as long as procedures were followed and the total exposure time for continuous use did not exceed 12 hours.

The US Navy also mandates that all pilots and aircrew flying ejection seat equipped tactical aircraft such as the F/A-18 Hornet use 100% oxygen from takeoff to landing.

These aircraft cost from $40 to $60 Million dollars so the US Navy thinks breathing 100% oxygen is safe.

It's normal to experience a short period of coughing when using oxygen therapy.  I experience coughing nearly every time I start using this method of oxygen therapy to abort a cluster headache that woke me from sleep, but it always clears in 5 to 10 seconds.

Coughing during oxygen therapy can be due to two reasons.  These are the dryness of the oxygen where coughing occurs as soon as the dry oxygen reaches the lungs as you start to inhale, and a condition called atelectasis - where small areas of alveolar collapse have occured usually during sleep.  Aviators encounter a slightly different version of atelectasis during high G-Force maneuvers where several seconds of high G-Force squeezes the lung and some of the alveoli collaps.  As soon as the pilot relaxes the G-Force the first reaction is an uncontrollable urge to cough and the act of coughing re-inflates the collapsed alveoli. 

Nearly the same thing happens when using oxygen therapy immediately after rising from sleep only the coughing occurs as the lungs reach the point of being fully inflated.  This causes the collapsed alveoli to re-inflate and that sensation creates an uncontrollable urge to cough, further inflating any collapsed alveoli.

Again, coughing from either cause usually clears in 10 to 15 seconds and it occurs in both smokers and non-smokers.

I've also checked the results of the cluster headache survey taken by 1134 folks diagnosed with cluster headaches.  25% of the participants were currently using oxygen therapy and there were no adverse effects noted with its use

If coughing continues after a minute, call the primary care physician or neurologist who prescribed your oxygen therapy.

A feeling of tightness in the chest area is not a normal reaction to the use of oxygen therapy. 

A feeling of tightness in the chest area is very common when using triptans like imitrex or zomig...  That is the primary reasion I stopped using triptans to abort my cluster headaches and switched to oxygen.  With the exception of an occasional snort of imitrex nasal spray during airline travel, I use only oxygen inhalation therapy for my cluster headaches.  I take no other cluster headache medications.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

V/R, Batch   

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 6:55pm

Dry O2 induces Cough, Sounds sound batch!

Tightness from imitrex was nonexistent after cutting back
on the dose.  I use 1/3 or less and never have that feeling
anymore.  Let me tell you when I was overdosing on that
stuff back in the day,  I was having that feeling.  Now I can
use it up to 6 even 7 times out of 2 vials. but I guess doc
doesn't like the long term everyday use of it either.   I was
using a lot when I was younger before the vials came out
well over the 2 6mg a day and I'm still here but guess not
good for body!  Had too nothing else was working back then
and I was working.  Darn STAT dose has air in it and that
needle is like a nail !!! 

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:46pm

I concur with Batch.  Oxygen good, more is better.  Or is that 'speed is life, more is better'.

5 and 1/2 years of Navy flying on 100% pure oxygen.  5 or 6 hours was the most at one time.  No side effects other than being a little nutty every now and then Cheesy

--Shaggy

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:06am

good to know and thanks for the responses.

I still have to figure out my personal reaction. I definitely cough more and even long-term after a bout I find it harder to use my lungs fully. I suppose its time for yet one more MD visit.

but once again, thanks for the quality responses

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 6:18pm

Peter,

Coughing can be due to a number of reasons...  That it occurs most during a cluster headache bout might be a good clue.  Seeing your MD is always a good idea when things are not "normal." 

In the mean time look for other causes.  Check the filter in your air handler is also a good idea.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!