Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
any good reason not to take methysergide? (Read 1661 times)
Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
any good reason not to take methysergide?
Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:09am

any good reason not to take methysergide if it is what had worked best the last cycle?

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: any good reason not to take methysergide?
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 12:04pm

Not if it worked. 

There are side-effects associated with it.  I'll let others who've had more recent experience with methysergide comment upon it.  (I was prescribed Sansert early on for CH, but that was better than thirty years ago.  Didn't cause any of the known side-effects, but it also didn't work for me.)

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 9:04pm

If you take it for more than 6 months at a time you NEED to take a one-month holiday from it lest you greatly increase your risk of organ fibrosis.

It worked well for me, but I just got too scared of it.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 9:32pm

Is there "any good reason"   you cannot take another medication  with a lot less dangerous  side-effects?

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:11pm

verapamil, inderol, propanalol, ....probably some others....none of them consistently worked. And the verapamil made me loopy and unable to properly function. The methysergide worked (at least last time). So - what to do? Go with what worked last time or try yet another drug?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:18pm

Peter B wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:11pm:
verapamil, inderol, propanalol, ....probably some others....none of them consistently worked. And the verapamil made me loopy and unable to properly function. The methysergide worked (at least last time). So - what to do? Go with what worked last time or try yet another drug?

If methysergide worked for you, you might want to take it to the next level:

clusterbusters.com

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:30am

Brew wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:18pm:
Peter B wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:11pm:

If methysergide worked for you, you might want to take it to the next level: clusterbusters.com

I agree with Brew. I even brought this option to my neuro for his opinion and he said while he did not know the research, he would check into it and had no problem. I just like keeping my neuro informed of even the non-pharmaceuticals I'm taking. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 10:59am

wimsey1 wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:30am:
If methysergide worked for you, you might want to take it to the next level: clusterbusters.comI agree with Brew. I even brought this option to my neuro for his opinion and he said while he did not know the research, he would check into it and had no problem. I just like keeping my neuro informed of even the non-pharmaceuticals I'm taking. Blessings! lance

...as long as he or she agrees to put your chart and the pen down before commencing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!