Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
can anyone tell me the std dose for methysergide (Read 923 times)
Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
can anyone tell me the std dose for methysergide
Jul 21st, 2010 at 11:11am

I am having a hard time getting to a neurologist - I want to see if my PCP will prescribe me methysergide until I can get to a neuro. I forget what dose I was on 5 years ago (in another country so its hard to get to that doc). Does anyone have links to clinical info on methysergide use for CH? thanks in advance

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: can anyone tell me the std dose for methysergide
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 11:28am

Anywhere from 2-12mg per day. You want it to be as little as will be effective. My magic number was 6mg per day (2mg 3x per day).

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 12:35pm

It took me 40-minutes to find any references to meth. because it has disappeared from standard lists of treatments for CH.

A 2002 article (Rozen): 2mg, up to 8-10mg/day.

The latest evaluation of CH meds (summary & evaluation of clinical testss), from 2009, doesn't even mention it.

I think that it's not available in the U.S. although a compounding pharmacy may be able to prepare it.

Why use it when effective and safer meds are now available.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 3:00pm

Bob's right on the money. You will need a compounding pharmacy to prepare it for you, and that ain't cheap. One was going to charge me $600 for a one-month supply.

If you're planning to go the ergot alkaloid route, why not check out clusterbusters.com? Grow your own fungus for pennies on the Rx dollar.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!