Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A Charitable Idea (Read 5490 times)
Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Re: A Charitable Idea
Reply #25 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 11:33am

Neal,

There is a charity org. that is structured closely to what you are proposing.  The founder there might be able to assist in discussing with you what would be required to make what you are talking about become a reality.

Maybe start there.  It's called Modest Needs.org

Good luck.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #26 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 11:14pm

Headache Boy uk wrote on Aug 21st, 2010 at 10:41pm:
This is a fantastic idea but I just can't see how it could possibly work .

Thanks, and yes, it would not be any easy thing to do and would have to be a collaborative effort with numerous people and/or organizations involved!

Quote:
even if all the red tape stuff could be sorted and the incredible amount of required funding found, how the hell do you go about deciding who gets the benefit of the charity ?

It opens up a whole new can of worms when you have to play god and decide who gets and who don't / who's' genuine and who's' not.

That's the really difficult part (in addition to actually getting the thing set up and underway)! And I have no intention of playing God, I'll leave that up to God! But it is a good point and I doubt that it would be possible to make sure that 100% of the time no one takes advantage of it, assuming it ever gets off the ground.

Quote:
I guess it's a problem allot of charities have, but it just seems monumental when you are talking about who to buy prescription drugs for.

It wouldn't be buying prescription drugs for people, it would be providing financial assistance to people so they could buy needed medications, pay for doctor visits, medical procedures, and the like.

Quote:
I think that personal help from individuals is the best way.

I agree, and I know that many people have gotten assistance of one kind or another from the members here, at OUCH, etc., and I applaud that heartily. I'm a big believer in individuals helping individuals. But still, I doubt that many of us here could pay for just one person's medical, prescription, etc. needs, as well as our own individual needs in those  areas. I wish we could! But sadly CH can have a drastic negative impact on one's job, personal finances, etc. 

Quote:
The free cycle idea for equipment on this board is a very good one.

I agree - Lance (wimsey1) came up with a great idea there, and again I say it should be implemented as soon as is practicable.

Quote:
God bless

You too, Nigel!

Quote:
PS Neal could you possibly put a blank line between paragraphs in your posts pls  makes for much easier reading

Sorry about that! I'll try to do better in future!

IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #27 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 11:41pm

JustNotRight wrote on Aug 21st, 2010 at 11:10pm:
Neal:

If you really want to make some changes that will help people, you could start with changing some laws on how Ins. companies treat patients such as...

Sadly, I lack the power to change the laws by myself - that's a job for one's local and national legislatures. But we could all write to our elected representatives about these issues. The more letters - actual, physical pieces of paper rather than just emails - they get, the more likely it is that things would change. Of course, since we are such a small demographic due to the rarity of this disease, they would probably be less inclined to help us than, say, some large corporate contributor. But writing them letters is the least that we could do.

Quote:
For Chronic Cluster Headaches Imitrex is an effective abortive yet Insurance companies limit the quantity of this drug to (generally) 4 shots per month.  If you suffer from, know about or have done research on Cluster headaches you will find that a person can get several of these headaches per day and can go through 4 shots in a week easily.

Both. Have 'em, have done research. Imitrex is crazy expensive! I learned a while ago that whether in cycle or no, to always get what the insurance company will cover per month (8 shots, or 4 kits, in my case). I learned that the hard way. I had a 4 month cycle a few years ago and I spent thousands of dollars just on Imitrex. The damned insurance company refused to accept my neurologist's "medical necessity" letter stating that I needed it every day (I've apparently gone chronic since this current session of Hell started, which is why I elected to have the CyberKnife procedure a few weeks ago)

Quote:
This begs two questions;

1st When will the doctors be enabled to treat patients based on health needs as opposed to the dictates of the insurance companies?

2nd Why does our government allow Big Insurance Company sanctioned torture to be carried out on its people?

As to "1st," as you said, only when the laws are changed.

As to "2nd," when the politicians running the government stop taking large donations from the insurance companies. Like Potter said, "money talks, bullshit walks."

Quote:
Aside from Imitrex being a good abortive medication we also have Medical Grade Oxygen as an effective abortive... yet many insurance companies (including medicare/medicaid) will not cover it for Cluster Headaches.

Which is disgusting and shameful.

Quote:
What will/can you do to address these problems?

Try to play a role in setting up a trust/charity for CH sufferers. And, thanks your post, sending a letter to all the elected officials at the federal level for my state.

Quote:
Just my thoughts on the topic.

And I thank you for them!
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2010 at 11:43pm by Neal »  

IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #28 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 11:55pm

Brew wrote on Aug 22nd, 2010 at 12:19am:
Neal, your head is operating in a perfect world. God bless you for that.

Unfortunately, we live in the real world - the imperfect one. Knock yourself out if you're so inclined. I'll continue helping the best way I know how - under the radar.

I think it's my "heart" that is operating in the "perfect world." My head is firmly in and all too aware of the "real world." And hey, any help, large or small, that we can give each other is to commended. That's one of the great things about this board. Other than the people here, I have only met one real live person who has CH and knows what's it like living with it. Anytime someone tells me "Oh, I have cluster headaches too," I ask them to describe what  they're like, and except in that one case, they're always full of crap. I had one guy tell me "yeah, I've have one or two of those. My whole head hurts when I have em. Excedrin is the best thing for them, you should give it a try" That's when I know I can ignore anything else they say about cluster headaches.   

IP Logged

Neal
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #29 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 12:03am

Redd wrote on Aug 22nd, 2010 at 11:33am:
Neal,

There is a charity org. that is structured closely to what you are proposing.  The founder there might be able to assist in discussing with you what would be required to make what you are talking about become a reality.

Maybe start there.  It's called Modest Needs.org

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, Redd! I'll add them to the list of organizations I'm compiling that may be able to help out that I intend to contact in the future. That's the first step I am taking before I do anything else. This is going to be a long process, and it might not even pan out. But I'm going to do my best in the time available to me.

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #30 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 1:20am

No optimism here.  One side Optimists other side Pessimists! Wonder if it's pain side or PF side?

Never will work, nope your right!  Did I hear the Earth is Flat?
Wow, how did we ever get by that I wonder?

Neal,  You want a headache start a charity for Cluster Head's, Yeah I agree, it can't be done, save your head Neal, it will never work. 

Not enough people suffer to pay the bill!  No money no research in to finding an answer.  Just have to do our own research to find the answer.

Hope your feeling better Neal. 

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #31 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 9:21am

Neal,

I admire your enthusiasm and welcome your ideas.

There is already an established non-profit organization for cluster headache support and education.  It's called OUCH.

I don't know what exactly you were looking for when you visited the OUCH website.  OUCH does help individuals in obtaining needed pharmaceuticals, oxygen, masks, etc. but they don't publicize who they helped and what cost.  That is private information.

OUCH-US is an established non-profit organization dedicated to helping CH suffers and their supporters with information, finding doctors in their area who are informed on CH treatments, education of both sufferers and the medical community on what CH is and what the best methods of treatment are.

Every single board member or committee member works for OUCH as an unpaid volunteer.  OUCH gets its money solely through kind donations from anybody and grants from pharmaceutical companies, oxygen suppliers and the like.

OUCH has helped hundreds of people over it's 11 years of existence, and will continue to do so to the best of it's ability.  What OUCH needs are volunteers to fulfill much needed committees - like advocacy, family services, newsletters and the like.

OUCH doesn't charge for a membership because they feel that helping a Clusterhead should not cost that Clusterhead a dime, so they rely on donations and grants to achieve their goals.

As said, OUCH has been in existence for 11 years.  There is much that they have accomplished, but there is so much more that they want to accomplish.  They cannot do all that they want because not enough people are stepping up to the plate to volunteer a little time to fill much needed positions.

Your ideas are great.  Rather than trying to start a new non-profit, why not put your thoughts and energies into helping OUCH.  They would welcome you as a volunteer with open arms.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #32 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:23am

Really good advice, Sandy. This board does what it does very well: provides info and support, and as an online community, is rather diverse and tight. Not saying Neal's ideas aren't helpful and good, but I agree...OUCH is a good venue for them. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #33 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 8:05pm

I herd a statistic the other day that made me think of this discussion .

Americans have an estimated 7.4 billion dollars in loose change kicking about in jam jars ice-cream tubs etc maybe you could throw a loos change party or some thing ? should be able to get the funding ball rolling .

or maybe the government could set up an NHS style system so that your not relying on insurance companies at all .

allthoe I can't see that ever getting through you political system cos there's too much money involved .

erm maybe you should just ignore this post cos I know nothing of how things work over there , sorry  Embarrassed

God bless

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2010 at 10:58am

Quote:
"Government is not the solution to our problems. Government IS the problem."

Ronald Reagan

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #35 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 7:56am

Brew wrote on Aug 27th, 2010 at 10:58am:
Quote:
"Government is not the solution to our problems. Government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan

Brew, I do agree with your Reagan quote...in general. I can say, though, that one of the reasons we moved from the south to the northeast corridor was to find state government that actually honored the intentions of the Americans with Disabilities Act. For all of its faults, we have found MA much more responsive , and helpful to, our daughter who is profoundly disabled. FL recognized the law but said, in effect, so what? Sue us. And they threw a lot of money at defeating any lawsuits that came their way. So while I'm not a fan of big government, I do think there are times and places where we need the big stick to help out the least among us who cannot help themselves. I'm also a big fan of public charities and churches jumping in where government ought not be. Perhaps I sound conflicted. I'm not, really. But I have no single rule of thumb here, either. As to Neal's suggestion, however, I don't think government is what he's looking for. I still agree OUCH is the key if there is more we can do. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!