Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Quick question about Optimask (Read 8046 times)
Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Quick question about Optimask
Nov 9th, 2010 at 4:16pm

When exhaling, do you pull it completely away from your face? I keep blowing air back into my face.-Chris

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Quick question about Optimask
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 4:25pm

I use the mouthpiece and not the mask, Chris, but I remove it to exhale each time.

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 4:26pm

I use the mouthpiece, and I don't exhale back through the apparatus. I find it stays much cleaner that way.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 4:27pm

OK, thanks guys. I will try that. -Chris

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 10:13pm

I've been breathing out via the mask and have been hitting no issues with it, so far.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:38pm

With the O2ptimask I've had no issues breathing back out through the mask.  I did nave troubles with the old style non-rebreather doing that though.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 2:36pm

Here's something I've never understood - maybe one of you who does this can explain it to me:

What is the point of breathing back out through the mask? The only possible reason I can see for exhaling through the mask would be if you were somehow unconscious or incapacitated.

To me, it just promotes a lot more condensation on the inside of the mask surface and the working parts of the valves, which then encourages the growth of bacteria and accumulation of crud, which will then shorten the life of your apparatus.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 1:23pm

When I'm getting hit hard and on O2 I usually have the bag sucked down almost flat until I've got the beast nearly tamed.  I'm often breathing rather shallowly trying to get enough and if I take the mask from my face I start breathing outside air and have to start all over again.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 1:37pm

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but when using the mouthpiece only and inhaling through that, aren't you getting outside air through your nose?  (I don't know, do you pinch your nose shut?  He needs a free hand for the icepack on the head, although I can help with that if he'd let me in the room.)

Hubby isn't real comfortable with the high flow mask, may have him try the mouthpiece.  He removed the mask to exhale and felt he was wasting alot of the O2, plus didn't like the feeling of the high flow in his face.  He actually went back to the one that came with the tank.  Even though it takes longer to abort, he says he can deal with that better.  Thought maybe trying the mouthpiece at high flow might work better.  Thanks.

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 1:51pm

Keep the info coming. I have yet to use my new found friend (02).I think I should practice while PF and have it right before I really need it.

My luck I'll get a HA from sucking so much air and waste my whole tank of 02. Grin

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 2:05pm

mikstudie wrote on Nov 11th, 2010 at 1:51pm:
Keep the info coming. I have yet to use my new found friend (02).I think I should practice while PF and have it right before I really need it.

My luck I'll get a HA from sucking so much air and waste my whole tank of 02. Grin
Doesn't hurt to practice.  I did the same when I got my first tank. 
It's funny to think when I got my mask and reg. in the mail I was excited like a kid opening a present at Xmas time, LOL!!!!

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 2:10pm

Chad wrote on Nov 11th, 2010 at 2:05pm:
mikstudie wrote on Nov 11th, 2010 at 1:51pm:

Doesn't hurt to practice.  I did the same when I got my first tank. 
It's funny to think when I got my mask and reg. in the mail I was excited like a kid opening a present at Xmas time, LOL!!!!

Too flipping funny,I couldn't wait to get mine,like I was waiting for a new toy. Cheesy Grin

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 2:43pm

Brew wrote on Nov 10th, 2010 at 2:36pm:
Here's something I've never understood - maybe one of you who does this can explain it to me:

What is the point of breathing back out through the mask? The only possible reason I can see for exhaling through the mask would be if you were somehow unconscious or incapacitated.

To me, it just promotes a lot more condensation on the inside of the mask surface and the working parts of the valves, which then encourages the growth of bacteria and accumulation of crud, which will then shorten the life of your apparatus.

Less to worry about during a hit......I can (and do) wash the mask regularly. When I was using those crappy masks I would pull it away.....now I find a good seal and huff away. During a hit I have a very focused routine....it helps me deal with the pain as well as do everything I should do to abort. A....B...C.....relief.

Bottom line...personal preference. As long as what ya doing is working for you.....do it.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 10:19am

Maybe I put the mask together wrong or something, but when I exhale, I can't help but break the seal and blow air up into my glasses which deflects right into my eyes. I'm typically breathing pretty hard when I use it... maybe I should be slowing it down a bit?

I found I do prefer the mask to the mouthpiece, not really sure why. -Chris

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 10:30am

Whatever you choose to do, it's wise to keep precautions for basic safety in mind.

Some of you newer folks may never have seen Drummer's old cautionary post about oxygen use.  It's worth keeping in mind.   Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thought everyone might need a laugh this morning.  Wish I had a link to Chuck's post about the toilet seat, though.   Grin

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #15 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 11:49am

Thanks George, that was hysterical, LOL!!!!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #16 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 12:18pm

THanks George!  I had lost the link to that, but have never forgotten it.  Drummer, Chuck, and Elaine had such an ability to tell stories that could give us a lift when we needed them.  Miss them all!

I also read the responses.  Man did those names bring back some memories.  RIP Kip.  Wish the others would come around.

Jerry

Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #17 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 5:13pm

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but when using the mouthpiece only and inhaling through that, aren't you getting outside air through your nose?  (I don't know, do you pinch your nose shut?  He needs a free hand for the icepack on the head, although I can help with that if he'd let me in the room.)

Has anyone ever quoted their own post?   Embarrassed

Anyway, I am still curious about this if anyone who uses the mouthpiece wants to comment.  Thanks.

Edit:  Duh, I still can't get the hang of this quote function   Cheesy
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2010 at 5:16pm by his wife »  

IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 6:04pm

I didn't breath through my nose when using the mouthpiece, I don't think. Just sucked in O2 from the mouthpiece.

George, too funny. Thanks for posting. -Chris

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #19 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 9:21pm

his wife wrote on Nov 12th, 2010 at 5:13pm:

Has anyone ever quoted their own post?   Embarrassed

Anyway, I am still curious about this if anyone who uses the mouthpiece wants to comment.  Thanks.

Edit:  Duh, I still can't get the hang of this quote function   Cheesy
Think about when you dive in a swimming pool.  You hold your breathe right?  You don't inhale the water through your nose.  Now, when you use the mouthpiece, inhale strictly through your mouth (not your nose) and then exhale either through the mouthpiece or remove it for each exhale.  As Brew and others said, it keeps it cleaner if you remove the mouthpiece during exhale.  I'm lazy and I just exhale through the mouthpiece and then rinse it under warm water after each use.  Once you do it for a while, you'll figure it out.

All the best!

Chad

IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #20 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 10:07pm

That makes sense.  I'll have him try that.  Thanks Chad  Smiley

Wishing you the best as well!

The "safety kit" story..oh my goodness, picturing it in my head...the laughter tears are flowing  Grin

Thanks for the laugh!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2010 at 10:14pm by his wife »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #21 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 10:28pm

It's not just the mask or the mouthpiece that stay cleaner - it's the insides of the one-way valves, too. The mask and/or mouthpiece are the easiest to clean.

I suppose my little testimonial doesn't do much for sales....

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #22 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 9:59am

O2PTIMASK Techniques, Tips and Procedures

The following are a number of tips, techniques, and procedures I've learned over the last 5 years using the Clustermasx™ and O2PTIMASK™ configured with a 3-liter reservoir bag.  In general, inhaling and exhaling through the mask is simple and easy to do. 

However, a small amount of condensation and CO2 will collect in the mask and green "T" manifold.  There should be no condensation in the reservoir bag.  If there is, the check valve in the lower portion of the "T" manifold is faulty.

I don't use a "bubbler" or humidifier as they force moisture into the reservoir bag.  This moisture will eventually collect bacteria and grow some nasty stuff you're not going to like at all.

Humidifiers also don't work very well at the flow rates that support hyperventilation as this high a flow rate the humidifier produces a mist as opposed to humidifying the oxygen and inhaling the mist forces too much fluid into the lungs.

Some of us have allodynia (skin on the hit side of the face is painful to touch) during our cluster headaches so we use the mouthpiece as the mask aggravates the additional pain caused by allodynia.  The mouthpiece is also less restrictive if you start feeling smothered or have anxiety pangs.

Tip:  For the purists... (like me and many others), exhaling away from the mask or mouthpiece is an alternative to exhaling through them.  Rationale:  A few cubic centimeters of exhaled breath remains in the mask and "T" manifold after each exhalation and this residual breath is sucked back into the lungs during the next inhalation. 

As this residual breath at the end of the exhale cyclecontains the highest concentrations of CO2, a.k.a. End Tidal CO2 (ETCO2), and CO2 is more powerful as a vasodilator than oxygen is as a vasoconstrictor, inhaling it can lessen the effectiveness of the oxygen therapy. 

Exhaling away from the mask or mouthpiece also eliminates any condensation in the mask or mouthpiece and "T" manifold.

The technique of breathing away from the mask or mouthpiece requires a bit more coordination and it's possible to inhale a small amount of room air through the nose when using the mouthpiece. 

If you're stuck with a regulator that delivers less than 15 liters/minute, this is likely an advantage as 7 to 9 liters/minute oxygen flow is sufficient to oxygenate hemoglobin to 100% and the higher respiration rate can help prevent CO2 buildup.  Having said that, the soft pallet usually prevents this from happening for most of us.

Tip: When exhaling away from the mouthpiece while using higher flow rates of 15 liters/minute and higher, it's best to press the opening of the mouthpiece to the lower lip to seal the manifold to prevent oxygen from leaking out while the reservoir bag fills.

Technique: Some of us breathe directly from the 22mm opening on the green "T" manifold or the 22mm nipple on a demand valve as this technique has the least flow resistance during inhalation at the higher flow rates.  It's also a bit more difficult blocking the 22mm opening to prevent oxygen from leaking while exhaling, but it can be done with a little practice. 

Tip: I press the "T" manifold opening lightly against my chin, cheek, or lower lip while exhaling to prevent oxygen from escaping as the reservoir bag fills.

Procedure:  Free-cycling oxygen through the mouth and out the nose is a procedure I use with the mouthpiece or straight from the "T" manifold 22mm opening.  I do this to rest for 15 to 20 seconds after using oxygen at very higher flow rates. 

I also do this procedure as it generates an evaporative cooling effect on the sphenopalatine ganglia that's located on both sides of the back nasal passage.  The sphenopalatine ganglia is also that thing that starts to sting as you sneeze or sniff the fumes from from a hot pepper like a fresh cut jalapeño.

Free-cycling oxygen out the nose produces a sensation similar to a mini-brain freeze except the cooling effect is in the back of the nasal passage and not the roof of the mouth.  The sphenopalatine ganglia is also connected directly to the nasal branch of the trigeminal nerve through a short nerve segment.

The thinking here is the cooling effect triggers vasoconstriction in the sphenopalatine ganglia and that can cascade over this short link to the trigeminal nerve.

Cooling the sphenopalatine ganglion will not make the abort happen faster, but it does have a soothing effect similar to a sphenopalatine ganglion block with lidocaine.  The big difference is this procedure is far easier than hanging upside down trying to drip lidocaine into the nose.  Even better, your nose doesn't go numb and you can still smell things when you're through.

In order to free-cycle you'll need cap or block the exhaust end of the "T" manifold in order to force the oxygen in the mouth, through the back nasal passage, and out the nose. 

Tip:  The easy way to block the exhaust port is to grip the "T" manifold like a pistol pointing the mouthpiece toward your mouth while pressing the exhaust end of the "T" manifold against the palm of the hand just below the index finger.  I also grip the reservoir bag fitting that attaches to the "T" manifold with my little finger to keep it from being forced loose when the bag fills tightly and the pressure builds.

Once you've blocked the exhaust port and the reservoir bag is full, inhale then try to exhale from both your mouth and nose.  As the the exhaust port is now blocked the exhaled breath will start flowing out your nose.  At that point, just relax and let the oxygen continue to flow in your mouth and out your nose.

Most of us start having a runny nose on the hit side around Kip-6 to Kip-7 so free-cycling oxygen out the nose is best accomplished early while the hit side nostril is clear.  If you do try this technique while your nose is running, have some Kleenex handy as this procedure can blow snot all over the place.

Of all the techniques tips and procedures, the following breathing technique is by far the most effective I've found over the last five years in achieving the fastest aborts possible at just about any flow rate up to 40 liters/minute.

This technique is called Breathing at Forced Vital Capacity (FVC).  Vital capacity (VC) is the maximum amount of air a person can expel from the lungs after a maximum inspiration. It is equal to the inspiratory reserve volume plus the tidal volume plus the expiratory reserve volume.

A normal adult has a vital capacity between 3 and 5 litres. After the age of 20 the vitalcapacity decreases approximatley 250 cc per ten years.

Forced Vital Capacity is the volume of air exhaled with maximum effort and speed after a full inspiration.  In practice, if I exhale fully after a maximum inhalation, there is still some residual volume left in my lungs that I can expel by doing an abdominal crunch, like done in sit-ups, except I hold the abdominal and chest squeeze for a couple seconds.  This will squeeze out another half liter or more of residual breath.

This exhalation maneuver will also produce a wheezing sound so when I coach folks on the use of this breathing technique, the mantra is "Squeeze 'till you Wheeze."

This breathing technique is best accomplished in a standing position to give the diaphragm full range of motion and to better ventilate the lungs.  If done properly at a high enough respiration rate and the pain level is low, I can feel the effects of paresthesia after 4 to 5 of cycles. If the pain is level 6 or higher, this may take up to a minute and sometimes longer.

The symptoms of paresthesia include a slight tingling or prickling of the fingertips, lips, and back of the neck sometimes accompanied with a slight sensation of dizziness.

You can practice the FVC breathing technique with air after reading this post.  In the absence of a cluster headache, you should start feeling the symptoms of paresthesia after three to four cycles if you use this technique at a fast enough respiration rate.  The tip here to increase the respiration rate is to inhale as rapidly and fully as possible after a couple seconds of the squeeze.  In other words, there's no delay between the end of the squeeze and start of the inhale cycle.  The inhale part of this cycle should take a half second.

Paresthesia is the best indication you're casting off CO2 faster than your body is producing it through normal metabolism and also that you've cast off enough CO2 to push your respiratory and circulatory systems into respiratory alkalosis.

I usually lean against a wall while while using this breathing technique more for comfort than anything else as I've never gotten so dizzy I needed to sit down.

Breathing at FVC works best with oxygen flow rates from 25 liters/minute up to 40 liters/minute.  At a flow rate of 60 liters/minute there's not enough time to squeeze for more than a second so you're really breathing close to vital capacity at this flow rate.

It's also possible to use the FVC breathing technique at flow rates between 10 and 15 liters/minute to shorten abort times. 

The tip here is a bit controversial.  As oxygen flow rates this low will not support hyperventilation, you'll need to use the FVC breathing technique with room air for three cycles while the reservoir bag fills then use it with 100% oxygen from the O2PTIMASK™ for one cycle then repeat.

This 3:1 Air to Oxygen breathing ratio is more than sufficient to keep the blood oxygen hemoglobin saturated at 100%.  And, if you're able to hyperventilate with the FVC breathing technique and feel the effects of paresthesia, the CO2 level will be lower than normal, the arterial pH will be higher than normal, and this will increase hemoglobin's affinity for oxygen so it can carry even more oxygen to the brain.

I hope you find these O2PTIMASK™ Techniques, Tips, and Procedures helpful.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #23 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:37am

Wow! This is great Batch. Should be posted somewhere so all can find it. (maybe it is, but I didn't find it), -Chris

IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #24 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 2:57pm

BINGO!!  Batch you're a genius!  Yes, the allodynia..didn't know it had a name.  Your post is exactly some of the issues hubby was experiencing with high flow and optimask.  Now we WILL definitely try the mouthpiece instead and go back to high flow.  The tips and techniques you've explained is a game changer..

Thank you, thank you   Smiley

Here's the good news for us...hubby hasn't had to use O2 in a couple weeks, coming down off Verap...hoping and praying we're in the home stretch.  It's been a dandy...6 months this cycle.  Regardless, we're better prepared for the next time with this info...and unfortunately we've resigned ourselves to knowing there will probably be a next time... Sad

Thanks again!   Smiley   You've given us more knowledge which is power in this fight!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!