Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lithium? (Read 1343 times)
brittbrat
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Lithium?
Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:29pm

I've read lithium as one of the treatments. What is lithium suppose to help? Is anyone trying it as a treatment option, and does it help any?

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Lithium?
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:35pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
check me if I am wrong,,,I think lithium is covered here.
the bb
edit; it does help many, others not.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:39pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

brittbrat
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:45pm

It did, thanks.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 7:01pm

I'm a 50 year old male, 32 year Ch sufferer, episodic. Been using lithium as my prevent for the last 15-20 years, has been my silver bullet. Used to block 70-80% of my attacks, has lost a little bit of its effectiveness over the years but still blocks 60-70% of my attacks. the break thru's are easily shot down with oxygen and the rare shot of imitrex.

Very few side effects for me. You pee a lot the first few weeks, requires a couple of blood tests to establish what your doseage is. Been magic for me. Don't let the Hollywood mouth breathing zombie stereotype scare you, if i didn't tell you i was taking it you'd never know. The little bit of lethargy it causes me is easily overcome with a cup of coffee.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 7:20pm

I'm the Hollywood mouth breathing zombie stereotype. It helped me.

Seriously, I've taken it in the past in combination with verapamil - known as the "chronic cocktail." Kept me pain free for a long, long time.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 7:33pm

I took 900 mg a day and it cut the number of ha down from 8 a day to 3-4 day.  The intensity of the remaining ch was a lot less also.  kip 4-6 vs kip 10.  It didnt make me tired at all.  I had no problems on it.  However it did eventually loose its effectiveness for me and I had to quit taking it.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 8:18pm

Brew wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 7:20pm:
I'm the Hollywood mouth breathing zombie stereotype. It helped me.

Seriously, I've taken it in the past in combination with verapamil - known as the "chronic cocktail." Kept me pain free for a long, long time.

Those were the last meds I tried and to be honest the best as far as preventative qualities for me.
I developed toxicity though and that led me to go med free.,

It did have good results though

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 12:52pm

I've been using Lithium with Verapamil as prevent. I get some tremors in my left hand since starting it, may need to stop. This only happens to a small percentage of people. It reduced the number of hits for me. -Chris

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 2:19pm

The hand tremor will happen to anyone who is starting to suffer lithium toxicity. It's one of the first signs.

Your doc may (nay, SHOULD) want to have your serum lithium level checked every couple of months until you find a dose that's both therapeutic and non-toxic.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!