Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sumatriptan: Changes in the headache experience (Read 1400 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Sumatriptan: Changes in the headache experience
Jan 21st, 2011 at 3:19pm

We regularly see comments that Sumatriptan changes the experience of CH--increasing frequency and/or intensity. What is usually missing are any data on frequency of this experience, duration of changes, source of the claim, and so on. Several years ago I searched medical literature for some specifics on this experience and could only find the two abstracts (below). In January, 2011 I searched for more current reports and could not find anything in the previous 10-years.

My conclusion is: the absence of later data suggests that there is little experience stimulating reports/study and that this is not an important problem. The last point is reinforced by the observation that in the few reported events, that the changes in headache reversed when Sumatriptan was dropped.

As with other medical topics, it's important that we qualify our "truth" claims with parameters/limits which don't distort real life experience.

It's not much help to people to warn them off using a good treatment with a silent implication that some side effect is widespread, enduring, even dangerous. We are always, with every medical treatment, struggling to balance benefit vs. risk. As we expect our physicians to fairly present the pros & cons of a treatment/procedure to us, we should, given our limited knowledge & skills, try to do the same.
==================================

Headache. 2000 Jan;40(1):41-4.

Alteration in nature of cluster headache during subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan.
Hering-Hanit R.

Headache Unit, Department of Neurology, Meir General Hospital, Kfar Sava, and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel.

Abstract
OBJECTIVES: To document the relationship between the 5-HT receptor agonist sumatriptan and a change in the nature of cluster headache in four cases. To relate the findings to the literature on the use of sumatriptan in both cluster headache and migraine.

BACKGROUND: Studies of the efficacy and adverse effects of long-term treatment with sumatriptan in cluster headache are limited and report conflicting findings.

METHODS: FOUR CASES ARE DESCRIBED.

RESULTS: All four patients developed a marked increase in the frequency of attacks 3 to 4 weeks after initiating treatment with the drug for the first time. Three patients also developed a change in headache character, and 2 experienced prolongation of the cluster headache period. WITHDRAWAL OF THE DRUG REDUCED THE FREQUENCY OF HEADACHES AND ELIMINATED THE NEWLY DEVELOPED TYPE OF HEADACHE.

CONCLUSIONS: Determination of the effects of long-term use of sumatriptan will result in more precise guidelines for the frequency and duration of treatment with this otherwise extremely beneficial drug.

PMID: 10759902 [PubMed -
=======================================

Headache. 2004 Jul-Aug;44(7):713-8.

Subcutaneous sumatriptan induces changes in frequency pattern in cluster headache patients.
Rossi P, Lorenzo GD, Formisano R, Buzzi MG.

Headache Centre, INI Grottaferrata, Rome, Italy.

Comment in:

Headache. 2005 Sep;45(8):1089-90.

Abstract
OBJECTIVES: To document the relationship between the use of subcutaneous (SQ) sumatriptan (sum) and a change in frequency pattern of cluster headache (CH) in six patients. To discuss the clinical and pathophysiological implications of this observation in the context of available literature.

BACKGROUND: Treatment with SQ sum may cause an increase in attack frequency of CH but data from literature are scant and controversial.

METHODS: Six CH sum-naïve patients (three episodic and three chronic according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) are described.

RESULTS: ALL SIX PATIENTS had very fast relief from pain and accompanying symptoms from the drug but they developed an increase in attack frequency soon after using SQ sum. IN ALL PATIENTS, THE CH RETURNED TO ITS USUAL FREQUENCY WITHIN A FEW DAYS AFTER SQ SUM WAS WITHDRAWN OR REPLACED WITH OTHER DRUGS. Five patients were not taking any prophylactic treatment and SQ sum was the only drug prescribed to treat their headache.

CONCLUSIONS: Physicians should recognize the possibility that treatment of CH with SQ sum may be associated with an increased frequency of headache attacks.

PMID: 15209695 [PubMed

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Sumatriptan: Changes in the headache experience
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 5:35pm

Wow.  There you have it.  The number one drug prescribed for clusters...and it's making our headaches worse and more often.  This is something I've always suspected with the results I've had from sumatriptan, but seeing it outlined in studies kinda blows me away.  Anyone out there feel like they've had this effect from ergot drugs?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 5:57pm

What makes research in this area is that it is hard to isolate cause and effect with the very small sample sizes available. For the two studies quoted by Bob, one had 4 subjects and the other 6. Most of us have variations in quantity, severity and duration of our CHs, with potentially more variation for those who are episodic as it's possible that given the experiment duration it's likely that some of those who were episodic were either near the start or the end of a cycle.

Another factor that could strongly influence things is the methodology used where the test was done on people who were using sumatriptan for the first time. It's possible that this does not correlate with the experience of those who have been using sumatriptan for a long duration. A simple example is when you see the behaviour of people starting smoking for the first time compared to those who have been using it for a long time. Or compare people first eating very spicy food to those who eat it regularly.

Neither experiment reported the use of controls, where some subjects used sumatriptan and some didn't. Ideally experiments should be double blind, with neither the subject or the person interacting with the subject knowing if the subject was being given sumatriptan or a control, e.g. water. Although since there is a very obvious difference in effects, using controls is probably not possible with sumatriptan given the very obvious effects of sumatriptan on a CH.

Doing experiments where there is a natural random variation with a very small sample will always be difficult with limited data sets resulting in relatively poor statistical data sets to analyse.

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 6:18pm

I agree, these studies are in no way definitive.  But they sure do raise important questions.  I'm inclined to believe it just from my experiences and the experiences of numerous other cluster sufferers I've spoken to.  Are there people out there that can say for sure that the triptans have NOT had this effect on them?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 7:39pm

Ricardo: I think we agree that there is scant evidence of a problem but that's not the issue I'm trying to surface.

Problem, as I see it, are folks who make absolute claims of a problem when, there is scant to no evidence to support their claim.

It's an ethical issue that's the heart of my message.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!