Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
? about hubbys first use of Sumatriptan (Read 6825 times)
dereksgirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

WA
? about hubbys first use of Sumatriptan
Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:34am

just looking for an "it's ok" i think, my hubby (episodic - 12+yrs) we just got a oxy prescr. today, but wont get the tank till tomorrow. The doct gave sum. as a secondary abortive measure and about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs ago he took a 2mg portion of the syringe. not long after, said he felt a little funny - then he dozed off and has been sleeping like a log since then. Maybe i am just not used to seeing him sleep lately... Sad  he is 3-4 weeks into this cycle... I guess it got rid of his HA... I am just sitting here. Watching him sleep and thinking how crazy to want to wake him up to ask if he ok. Cheesy I am praying he doesn't get hit with a rebound and gets some much need rest... thanks for a place where supporters can just get some of these thoughts out of their heads...

Words can not express the gratitude I have for all of you who have, in the midst of such great pain, reached out and helped so many...

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: ? about hubbys first use of Sumatriptan
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 7:22am

If he's breathing, leave him alone. You do realize how many of us CRAVE sleep when getting pounded by attack after attack, right?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 7:50am

It's OK...  You sound like a very attentive supporter...   and Bill is spot on...  A good night's sleep is so very special when you're getting hammered. 

Check your pm for some info on oxygen therapy.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 10:08am

That's GREAT news! As they've mentioned, when in high cycle, something like 4-6 hours of uninterrupted sleep is pure paradise. Hoping and praying the 02 proves the magic wand for him that it's been for me. Thanks again for being a "hovering supporter." You rock! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 10:45am

Just responding to your comment that the sumi made him "feel funny". My  husband also feels a strange sensation from it. But it aborts the CH right away, so he doesn't mind. The issue is it's expensive, insurance co's generally limit how much they'll cover each month, and I think you have to avoid how much you use too for other medical reasons.

O2 therapy is really the best abort method with zero side affects. Sumatriptan is good when you get caught out and about (we keep it in both cars and my purse when we're at the movies etc). But for my husband, if he had is rathers, he would only use O2 and never Sumatriptan.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 7:21pm

Not a ch'er here, but I've used sumatriptan injections for migraines and I eventually had to quite taking them, because they would make me sleepy.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

England, UK
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:58am

Hubby took the injection.. only once.. said it felt it going up through his body as if everything was tightening along the way..  and made his chest hurt and all sorts.. eventually he said he felt as if everthing was being pulled tight on to the top of his head.  It stopped his head ache tho.. and then completely knocked him our for 4 hours!
Must admit I was very nervous as what he was describing was quite scary.. and kept checking he was still breathing.. but didn't do him any damage!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 9:12am

I describe it as the snake dance. I inject in the bum, I can track the meds path up my back, neck and into my head! It's a tightening "snakes under my skin" feeling. But oh when it hits the noggin, almost instant relief! Smiley I've never had the tired thing after, more a euphoria.

Joe

IP Logged

dereksgirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

WA
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 6:11pm

Brew wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 7:22am:
If he's breathing, leave him alone. You do realize how many of us CRAVE sleep when getting pounded by attack after attack, right?

Cheesy LOL, its so true, I know how BADLY he just wants to sleep!!!
Thank you all SO much for you replies. Just was nervous about him taking something new... the needle alone was enough to scare me!  Shocked

Thanks Batch for the O2 info - great stuff, we are working on getting the right set up for him...

in the mean time, I know he hates to use it, but the sum. has been very effective as an abortive and we are greatful to have it until we are able to establish the 02 and possibly other alternitives for long term control. (I don't think I will ever forget the look of shear terror on his face when he jumped straight up out of sleep, shaking and running for that needle. I just can't comprehend the kind of pain that can do that to grown man... Cry....)

helps so much to know what others have felt when using it.

hugs and gratitude!

Words can not express the gratitude I have for all of you who have, in the midst of such great pain, reached out and helped so many...

IP Logged

dault
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 11:42am

Thank you and all the supporters of Cluster Sufferers, my wife is much like you and the attention that you give is priceless and means more than all the drugs in the world (even if we need the drugs too Smiley ).

I just wanted to make you aware of the Sumavel DosePro. Others have already mentioned LET HIM SLEEP Smiley so I'll leave that part be. I was prescribed the needle injections (an off brand) and was only given 4 ($10). I took them back as I was to get this new kind that does not have a needle. I got 8 ($15). They are 6mg each and inject the medication through air instead of a needle. It is not painless but if you have an ice pack just ice the area if you are worried the first time. I don't know many people that during an attack are much worried about any small "rubber-band-like" smack on their thigh or side. I hope this information helps. I had to ask specifically for what I needed. There are coupons that take the copay to $15. You get a little card and it has 6 uses on it. Pretty good deal for me as it is a brand name medication and cut my price in half. My doctor told me to "stock up" due to how hard it is to get when you're in the middle of an attack. I am in the middle of an episode and was struggling to get what I needed. When this episode (I'm episodic, not chronic) is over I'll finish out the refills to have on hand...

Hope this all helps.

dault

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 12:16pm

My doctor told me to "stock up" due to how hard it is to get when you're in the middle of an attack. I am in the middle of an episode and was struggling to get what I needed

GREAT advice! Enjoy your pain free time, but ALWAYS be ready to do battle.  My cupboards are always stocked to get me thru the first few weeks of an epsisode. Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

dereksgirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

WA
Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 5:16pm

aw thanks Dault Smiley you guys are worth it, and I am so glad to hear you have someone by your side through this!

we will definately look into that Sumavil Dose Pro, & stock up inbetween episodes. I think his cycle is winding down - PTL - o2 set up last night, so we are trying to detox and hoping to find prescription free ways to manage this.

but, we will always keep the cupboards full, we know now to never under estimate the power and unpredictability of these HAs

IP Logged

Cupper
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Seagrove Beach FL
Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 12:00pm

Sumitriptan is good for making me a walking Zombie but it does help knock back the beast. Be sure he takes at the first hint of an attack. Otherwise it's 20-30 minutes of waiting for it to kick in. Guess one could crush it up and snort it for faster relief. Unfortunately it says no more than 2 pills per 24hrs. But when it's a choice between more CH's or more pills... I usually choose more pills. I'm sure it's not good for my system. And I never am further than arms reach of my script. It's not the best choice I know which is why I'm gonna try the Busters Method with Mushrooms before my next cycle is due in a month or so.
Best of luck for your spouse. I'm sorry anyone has to deal with The Beast.
If I meet him I'll Ro Sham Bo his Nutz! Grin

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 12:04pm

Cupper, if you get a chance try and get the shots precribed. Pricier then the pills but SOOOO much faster.

That being said, if you haven't already done so, read this link

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It has almost eliminated my trex useage altogether. If you go the clusterbuster approach, you will need 02 as an abortive as you need to detox off of everything else for the busting to be effective.

Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!